Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rumor about FT-817, on the Yahoo GP  (Read 28827 times)
K7LZR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 02:51:27 PM »

I ordered a new FT-817ND in December. I've bought/sold/traded six of these little radios over the last few years, and keep coming back to them because of sheer versatility. I've used FT-817s at the home QTH, on long-range hikes, as mobile rigs, and everything in between. I've done many SOTA activations with them.

Say what you will about the supposed shortcomings of these radios, but it really is just a matter of personal preference. At present, I do not see any other radio which offers as much in terms of frequency coverage, modes, ruggedness, and generally good performance for the size.

Take your time and do it right Yaesu. I'm willing to wait.

KJ4DET

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 02:45:58 AM »

I got another e-mail from Gigaparts in refrence to my 817.
"
Yaesu is still expecting the FT-817NDs to start arriving here by the end of the month. The latest information from them indicates that small quantities will begin arriving closer to the end of March, and theyll ship them to us as soon as they arrive. We estimate that orders placed with us prior to December 15th should ship from the first batch."

I ordered mine in February.
"
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 02:43:48 PM »

I think this has been covered but I talked to a dealer today and they said that while Yaesu finally found a new source for The display for 817 that even it is not quite right and my have some firmware changes/tweaks because of it. He said basically 817 production was totaled in tsunami  and some of theirs parts vendors/suppliers went out of business over it too. He too was not sure why Yaesu just did not scrap old 817 design and build new from new sources. 

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »

In the FWIW department, I'd queried Yaesu if they intended to deploy an update file incorporating the recent 60m band changes as they did for my 450D.  Answer from them:  not likely. Then again, it is likely not a huge priority; as mentioned, tsunami racked & stacked in short order what's important & what's not.

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »

I'm still waiting on my FT-817ND to be repaired, since mid January. Still waiting on the Front Panel Unit. The latest word today from Yaesu is the end of April.

I don't hold much hope. I'd say the FT-817ND as we know it is history. Remember, this is a fully functional radio that only has an odd intermittent problem not at all related to the LCD itself, but in the panel logic.
W8ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »

Huh
Has anyone heard anything else from hamcity.com?

Thanks!
Jack KK4HZP

---
Excerpt from an earlier post:

...from Hamcity.com that Yaesu will not be delivering as promised for the middle of March (aka now). They have pushed back delivery again and this time they will not attach a date....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:58:37 AM by KK4HZP » Logged
KJ4DET

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »

I ordered mine through GigaParts, see previous posts. I got this in an e-mail yesterday.

"The latest update from Yaesu about the FT-817ND says "Arriving  in April". They still cannot be more specific right now, but we are looking forward to getting these radios soon!"

Patience...

W8ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »

Cheesy
Thank you for the update!  I've been cheering for Yaesu to make it through this difficult time.  Their tiny VR-500 receiver continues to serve me well for something like (I think) about twelve years.  I had to look at the date stamps of some files that I saved about it to figure it out, it's been so long.  I wish that everything was built so well to last so long!

Jack KK4HZP

I wonder if there are any neat undocumented features in the 817 like there were in the VR-500?
KJ6MSG

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2012, 03:07:51 PM »

Huh
Has anyone heard anything else from hamcity.com?

Thanks!
Jack KK4HZP

---
Excerpt from an earlier post:

...from Hamcity.com that Yaesu will not be delivering as promised for the middle of March (aka now). They have pushed back delivery again and this time they will not attach a date....

The last I got from Hamcity.com was that they pushed it back AGAIN due to firmware changes for the new LCD. No date was given, Yaesu has stopped given dates. I'm still holding on to my order, since Hamcity had and continues to have the best price.

KJ6MSG
@kj6msg
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »

I thought about an FT-817, and it's a neat rig. But my K2's receiver runs rings around it, and NO extra filters to buy.
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 02:57:02 PM »

Sold my FT-817.

Add IF-DSP, and wider RX (including Weather) and it would be nice.
KJ6MSG

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »

Just heard from Hamcity.com... They get them in next week!

KJ6MSG
@kj6msg
KJ4DET

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 09:32:44 AM »

I got an e-mail from GigaParts last week saying they had them enroute and thought they had enough to fill orders through the end of January. Sad thing is, I ordered mine at the end of February.

KJ4DET, Over...
KC9AXZ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2012, 02:46:03 PM »

This is a great little rig. I wish I would have kept mine. I made a stupid decision to sell mine a few years ago. I've regretted it ever since. The problem is the price now. I know I paid less for mine brand new than what they sell for now. What I sold mine for was close to the new price when I bought it (took very little loss). Now the prices on radios have went up so high I cant convince myself to buy new anymore. Maybe some day I'll find a deal on a used 817.  Huh

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: