Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Digital mode questions  (Read 3082 times)
KG6SII

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2012, 11:50:44 PM »

Two questions from a newbie, using FLDigi:

1) What is the solid, vertical line that is always present on the waterfall (and heard as a constant tone) on 14.070 around the 1500 mark (14071.54 to be exact).  It is always there!

2) I saw someone calling CQ on the waterfall in normal PSK31 fashion, but the letters "CQ" appeared visually in the waterfall at the start of the transmission!  I have never seen that before.  How is that done?

Thanks much & 73
Glenn
KG6SII
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:50:53 AM »

1) What is the solid, vertical line that is always present on the waterfall (and heard as a constant tone) on 14.070 around the 1500 mark (14071.54 to be exact).  It is always there!

I don't see it here, so I think you're seeing some sort of local signal.

2) I saw someone calling CQ on the waterfall in normal PSK31 fashion, but the letters "CQ" appeared visually in the waterfall at the start of the transmission!  I have never seen that before.  How is that done?

That's a feature of some of the digital modes programs.  At the beginning of a transmission, they modulate the signal to show that on the waterfall before starting the actual message.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:24:03 AM »

Yep, the line in your waterfall is almost certainly local. Trying turning things off or flipping electrical breakers in your home until you track it down. Or it could be internal to the rig or power supply. Such things can be hard to track down. That frequency is a rather unfortunate place to have a 'birdie' if you want to work PSK much.

The visual characters in the waterfall are generally called "video ID".
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 12:22:25 PM »

I've been running an information bulletin using psk31  regarding a petition to the FCC on 14.071 for many hours each day recently.  You might be seeing that but you should be able to decode it. 
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 01:57:41 PM »

Hi,

I also see a similar line on my waterfall around the same frequency, but I have not worked out if it is local or external.
It is fairly faint on my waterfall, but does not have qsb, so I am assuming it is a local birdie from one of the thousands
of appliances around my suburb.

On the second question, as someone has already posted, it is called "video ID".
It is a graphic representation of the mode, which is encoded at the beginning of each transmission by the senders digimode program.
It is useful when you are using some exotic mode, which other users may not be familiar with, so it gives the receiver
a clue as to what mode to set their digimode program to decode the transmission.

Another preamble coming at the beginning of a transmission you may see, is a short series of tones.
These normally represent "RSID", which is another option in digimode programs.
The RSID option is to send the tones which can be decoded by receiving programs automatically, and give you a
popup stating the type of transmission.

The RSID does the decoding automatically, but it requires the receiving station to have an RSID capable digimode program.
The VideoID does not need any special receiving program, since it is visible on the waterfall.
Some people enable both!

Both RSID and VideoID are options which can be enabled or disabled somewhere in the menu system of compatible digimode programs.
RSID can be set on transmit, receive or both.
VideoID can be set only to transmit it or not, since you cant avoid receiving it, as it is just a picture on your waterfall.

Some usage tips and advice:

Don't use RSID and Video ID on PSK31, it is not necessary and marks you as a newbie.
Almost everyone recognises PSK31 and it is very annoying to have preambles in this case.
Also PSK31 normally has very defined band slots where most users hang out, and you don't usually find other digital modes
there in any case.

If you are using some more exotic mode such as Olivia or MFSK or whatever else takes your fancy, it is quite legitimate to use RSID,
VideoID or both.
Once I establish contact, I normally turn off the RSID/VideoID preamble, unless I think that others may wish to listen in.

I hope this was of help, and wish you happing digimoding.

73s
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:54:13 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:12:27 PM »

Don't use RSID and Video ID on PSK31, it is not necessary and marks you as a newbie.
Almost everyone recognises PSK31 and it is very annoying to have preambles in this case.
Also PSK31 normally has very defined band slots where most users hang out, and you don't usually find other digital modes
there in any case.

A big +1!!! RSID is not necessary for PSK31 or standard RTTY. On PSK, the video ID takes substantially more bandwidth than the PSK signal so your video ID may also interfere with someone else's adjacent signal.
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 01:01:01 AM »

Hi Glen,

Hey give me a call on Skype this week when you have sometime and we can go over a few things with FLdigi. Also make sure you have the latest version. Good to see you on here.

73 de Steve KB6HOH here in the SF North Bay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: