Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K3 or ICOM 7600 ?? Help  (Read 7212 times)
N4UED

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 03:22:19 PM »

TEN-TEC OMNI VII .
I LOVE MINE .
N6DZR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »

Spectrum displays like the Icom has look real neat but that's about it.
I have sat in front of an IC-756 Pro 3 for HOURS in contests on 80 meters and I probably never looked at the spectrum display after the first 10 minutes.
It never had any effect on what I found, or could hear to work.
Spectrum displays and panadapters are overrated as a useful feature in my opinion.
We are however visual creatures so it does have a lot of visual appeal to help sales.

I have an IC-7600 with the built-in spectrum display (band scope). Here are some of the ways it has been useful to me:

* I check the activity on an entire band with one glace.

* During contests I use it to help find an opening to call CQ as well as find stations when S&P

* When working a pileup I see how wide it is and watch the "ebb & flow". This helps me choose a frequency and know when to transmit.

* I can see regular noise patterns and how often they repeat across the band

* One of the coolest times was a month or two ago... I was listening to a dxpedition on CW when they said QSY 12M SSB. So I hit the 12m button, then hit the button to see the whole band on the scope and waited. The band was relatively quiet, so I just watched and waited. Up popped a signal. I tuned to them and was the first one to make contact - no waiting.

-Jeff
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: