Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sporadic-E, TEP, AND Aurora 6m opening...I still can't hear squat!  (Read 3613 times)
AK6ZZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 06:57:59 AM »

I am a newbie to 6m and my early observations definitely support many of the positions cited so far.  Propagation is key for 6m success. I live on the US west coast and openings are not as plentiful as in the East or Midwest (further south in that direction even better).

That being said I would put up the largest antenna you can afford and is allowed by your location (spouse, CCR, HOA). I found going from my initial setup of a three element to a stack of seven element antennas a marked improvement though at the same time during my journey to more I am not sure at this point if it will yield more than I had with my homebrew six element antenna. Anyway do what you can. I have worked from So Cal both Oregon and Washington with a hotel dipole out of a window at the Best Western. Do what you can invest a little in six meters and have some fun.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 12:46:36 PM »

When conditions are right, you don't need a 7 element yagi at 40 feet for 6M action.  When I first moved into my home in 1996, I made hundreds of contacts using a dipole in the attic and my IC-706MKIIg.  Currently I have a 3 element yagi in the attic but make most of my contacts with a pair of stacked 6M halos at the other end of the attic.  When the band opens, the calls come fast and furious on 6 and often an omni-directional antenna is handy as a "spotter" antenna.  But (also often), by the time I can swing my yagi around in the direction of the station I've heard, he is gone and the propopation has changed.  And, some days there will be nothing.

Just don't get discouraged.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: