Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people have to comment on a For Sale Item?  (Read 6718 times)
WU0R

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:53:03 AM »

Ever post something for sale on a swap board and then see some nit wit post a reply to your initial posting about how your price (to them) is too high, how they found the same item for much less, etc?

Why bother?  If you aren't interested, move on. 

I recently posted an item and had some lid come back and tell me how he got one fro $40 but when in fact, it wasn't the same thing he bought, the one he referenced was a parts unit, etc.  Totally uninformed about what he was talking about, etc.  I pulled the posting. The hell with it.  I don't like a for sale posting turning into a discussion forum especially with a LID that doesn't even have the correct item in his discussion or knows nothing about the item.

Gotta wonder why these folks take it upon themselves to act like this.....
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:53:15 AM »

I have had that happen to me too...

I had a Kenwood TS-450/SAT in very good condition, loaded with optional SSB and CW filters. The only thing I noted was that it had a leaking cap in the audio amplifier and I had it fixed by a retired engineer in my club that restores older Kenwoods and boat anchors. After the repair, the radio worked fine and the repair could not be spotted unless you knew where to look. I noted the problem and repair in my advertisment. I set my asking price by researching previously sold radios and filters (nice that eHam lets you look at old ads!) and added a small percentage to cover shipping and to give some negotiating room.

My first response was an email berating me for my rip-off price, that this "broken" radio should be sold for 50% less. I didn't reply. But I did remember his call and vowed not sell this person anything in the future. First impressions do count.

In subsequent emails I did get clues that the price was a little too high. The volume of inquiries was low* and the few I did get were polite offers lower than I wanted to consider. I lowered the price incrementally over a few days but no serious buyers came forth. Then I re-advertised the radio with stock filters only and the optional SSB/CW filters as add-ons. That did the trick and I received multiple offers for the radio alone or filters alone.

The point here is don't give up on online selling because of some LIDS. They are everywhere. But if you are truthful in your advertisement and ask for a fair price as determined by looking at past ads where the item actually sold, stick with it and you will find a buyer. If you are setting your price on the high end, perhaps for something that is NIB or NOS, justify it with a complete description of the item and attach extremely high resolution pictures in good lighting.

* You know you didn't set the price high enough if you are getting 10+ emails per hour. When I price items in the sweet spot, I get 2-4 serious emails a day.

GL
Ray KJ6AMF
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 09:08:32 AM »

You try to be truthful and you get berated.  Ditto here too.  I find now that if the repairs to the radio can't be noticed by casual inspection AND the radio works like it did before, then I don't list those repairs at all.  Saves a lot of angst that way.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »

The reason people do this is an attempt to show that they know something.  The worst offenders are the computer geeks.  You get two computer geeks together and they'll talk by the hour trying to prove which one knows the most.

As annoying as this is, the best response is NO response!  They'll never change and if you do respond it will simply start a pissing contest.
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »

Frankly I could care less how much someone paid for something, if they are interested in buying something from me, let's talk about it, don't use something else as a metric.  Otherwise, my attitude it, move along, nothing to see here.

Yeah, I have seen them all, including those that want your item but haven't a dime and I have never been sure what they are wanting you to do, hold it for them?

I call them tire kickers. 

I had one LID just the other day ask me about an item I have since sold, if it had the original manual with it.  I told him, I have a manual, not the original, but it is the manual.  He went on and on about how important it was to have the original manual.  I told him, sorry, the item is like 30 years old, practically new looking, but I don't have the original manual.  Bye bye.

I suspect it may have been a scammer.  Well, he can search again and won't find the posting.  It is long gone.

I generally look for something specific, ask a general question (does it work properly, etc), if the posting isn't clear and either decide to purchase the item or look around.  Seems too simple.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 05:37:03 PM »

Don't pay attention to the ground noise and static. 

STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 01:04:11 AM »

One of the things that seem to never change is the inclination of people to just complain, without wanting a solution.
When I was young and stupid, I tried to help people when they complained about something, usually ending in being berated.
After a while I learned that no good deed goes unpunished.
The chinese also have a saying " why do you hate me? I have never helped you", so this is not just a western situation.

Don't worry about these "tire kickers" they will always be with us and are the sort that if you gave them a free $1000 would
complain about it stretching their wallet.

I agree with poster on computer geek wars - Linux versus windows , PC versus Mac and so on.
Luckily we hams have no such vices, mainly because everyone knows Yaesu makes the best ham gear.

73s

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:38:49 AM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 05:40:19 AM »

Every hobby has its share of butt-heads (or worse).  HAM radio seems to have more than its share.

Dick  AD4U
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 12:44:05 PM »

Ever post something for sale on a swap board and then see some nit wit post a reply to your initial posting about how your price (to them) is too high, how they found the same item for much less, etc?

Do that on QRZ in the items-for-sale forum, and that post will be promptly deleted with a comment from a moderator saying "Sorry, discussion not allowed in this forum". And that's the way it should be, unless maybe you're simply asking an intelligent question. Probably, if you reported such a post here, a moderator would happily delete it for you.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »

STAYVERTICAL:
everyone knows Yaesu makes the best ham gear.

Yes, I understand what you're saying but let's not forget that Icom.......     Grin
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:48:01 PM by K8AXW » Logged
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 05:24:55 AM »

Well, that is where it occurred and no, the moderator didn't remove the "discussion" postings.  I closed the thread and listed the item elsewhere...

You may be thinking about Ham to Ham References....certainly didn't address it in the For Sale Forum.....

Do that on QRZ in the items-for-sale forum, and that post will be promptly deleted with a comment from a moderator saying "Sorry, discussion not allowed in this forum". And that's the way it should be, unless maybe you're simply asking an intelligent question. Probably, if you reported such a post here, a moderator would happily delete it for you.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »

I don't sell stuff!  Heck, if I sold too much stuff, I may have to buy furniture for the living room and that would cost more than the stuff I sold!
WX4O

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 10:29:47 PM »

The thing the bugs me is people that mention an item in the for sale section, when all they want is the item. They don't have it for sale. I've wasted a lot of time this way. A simple 'WTB' would let everyone know they want something.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »

Who cares about comments!  If I want something I pretty much already know what its worth and if the price is in line with that I pull the trigger.   How many times do we all read posts about Oh I paid $1500 for my Icom ProIII or $400 for an SB-220 Amp.  Well my friends if you’re waiting for that kind of deal on a Public forum or EBay you may be waiting for Hell to freeze!  Most people who get great deals forget to mention that they bought the Stuff from the Wife of a good friend who went SK.  So they avoid any widow stalking ridicule while still berating the sellers price.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 10:53:16 AM »

The thing the bugs me is people that mention an item in the for sale section, when all they want is the item. They don't have it for sale. I've wasted a lot of time this way. A simple 'WTB' would let everyone know they want something.

It would be fair that the FIRST person who posts a reply stating "I WILL TAKE" with no tire kicking nonsense would be the one who
gets the radio. I did just that the other day on QRZ for a fixer-upper Omni V. The seller closed the thread right
afterwards saying it was sold. I was left hanging, and assuming that my post and two emails had cinched the
deal. Wrong, someone else got it. Sometimes sellers should follow the same etiquette expected from their potential
customers.

Pete
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: