Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So tell me about the 6 meter band  (Read 11912 times)
KJ6QVB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 01:05:47 PM »

You could buy a modern "plug and play" rig that will work ok - for a while. But what will you learn by that? What what will you learn when it dies and you can't fix it? Why not try what I did and buy a Heathkit SB-110A? They are somewhat rare, but you can probably find one by searching online or frequenting the ham fests. You'll learn a lot about electronics and ham radio by tuning it up, aligning it, and yes occasionally having to fix it. But at least you can get to and test the components, and if you have an assembly manual, troubleshoot it. And it will appreciate in value, not depreciate like the cheap new ones. I guarantee that once you get a REAL hands-on rig like a Heathkit, you'll be hooked for life like I was. I have at least 10 different Heathkit radios now. And they're a blast.

Rich KJ6QVB "Quaint Vintage Boatanchors"
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 06:41:35 AM »

As a new Technician, I'm trying to take in all I can, so I'd like to learn about the "magic band." I'll be looking for my first multiband rig soon, so am learning about 6 and 10.  6 sounds like a lot of fun because from what I've read, it can go from dead to wide open in minutes, and vice-versa?

Sounds like a fun band with the right equipment!

Loren KB3YLQ

Due to its sometimes unpredictable nature, it is called the Magic Band and rightly so....Now, with the right gear and antenna, 6m can be a good mid range performer all the time (instead of trying to talk to guys on 75m 100-200miles away and putting up with static crashes, etc, a decent 6m station would be better) Antennas are easy to manage as to size and its a great band to experiment with home built antennas...also the right 6m all mode rig can make a great IF for xvtrs to higher bands for weak signal work. Welcome to the hobby and I hope you enjoy 6m as much as I have.

Chris
WB5ITT
PS: due to the natural background noise peaking in the 40-70MHz range, I advise use of a good Noise Blanker on ANY 6m rig...a lot of commercial lowband FM rigs have them...so do most amateur gear except that in allmode and FM only radios, most ham gear does NOT have a NB that works in that mode...my 857D's NB works great on SSB...can take a S9 noise level down to a S1...but on FM? nope...no effect at all...so beware if you try 6FM on a multimode rig. Why that is, I cannot say...I have asked the manufacturers about it and gotten lip service...but if FM doesnt need a NB, why do their commercial lines have it?? HMMMMM
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »

MOST of the year 6 meters is pretty DEAD but when it's e season it's a lot of FUN.It's my FAVORITE band & 99% of the time I have one of my rigs tuned into 50.125 listening as well as an FM 6 meter rig listening on 52.525.I'd rather work 6 meter & 2 meter DX than HF DX any day since it's EASY to work them on HF but VHF is a totally different thing all together.Work HF DX anytime & VHF when it's available. {:>)

Clayton
W4KVW
EM80
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: