Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attic antennas and house wiring  (Read 655 times)
KF5PGT

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »

If I'm putting an antenna up in my attic, how far away from the house electrical wiring should I stay?
There's one or two wires from the AC unit that run fairly close to where I want to put a 2m dipole.
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:45:02 AM »

Are you worried with injecting Tx signals on the AC line, or detuning the antenna?  Anyway, my first concern would be if one of those air con cables is the thermostat, and if you have a digital thermostat. 
KF5PGT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »

The wires that are near the antenna don't go to the thermostat, they're coming out of a fusebox and powering the condenser.

I do have a digital thermostat, though. Do you think it'd be affected if it was about 6ish feet from the antenna?

I'm not concerned over anything in particular, just asking if there's any problems I should be aware of.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:47:33 PM »

Have the 2m antenna at right angles to the nearest house wiring - pick a location for it where you'll have minimum coupling. 2m should not be a big problem - HF antennas in the attic is where you get lots of RFI in the power wiring...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: