Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVB-T Stick as SDR  (Read 120299 times)
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2013, 10:09:54 AM »

Heck I own a Flex 1500 which has all the receiver I need for HF but I'm still considering experimenting with one of these DVB-T sticks for VHF/UHF satellite reception. Still wish someone would make a "turn key" kit for a 2m/70m all mode SDR! As far as the DVB-T sticks, can someone point me to a "non E-bay" source for the proper one? I don't do E-bay.
Michael, W4HIJ

How about this one:
http://www.nooelec.com/store/
They sell on Amazon (where I bought mine....from their online store) or directly from their
website. You can get a complete setup from them for less than $70 including shipping. Not
a bad deal for getting your feet wet. Or since you are currently only interested in VHF/UHF
reception, the price drops to $25. Not bad at all.
james
WD5GWY
N3YZ

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2013, 05:24:07 PM »

Concur with GWY on NooElec. I just received the dongle (VHF) and upconverter (HF). Works. The challenges were finding the connections (F to SMA, SMA to PL259 etc) and realizing to offset -100,006,000 in SDRSharp. Nice job.

John, Annapolis, MD
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »

I am interested in trying out SDR (hf, vhf and uhf) as a beginner.  I am more interested in fun, experimenting and trying it out, than in high performance.  I am disabled and cannot do any circuit building.  Can anybody help me out with a SDR set?

Randy ka4nma

my email is pastor dot spaceboy (at) gmail
K4AX

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2013, 07:01:36 AM »

Randy, the RTL usb stick is the way to go, it's a painless software install if you use SDRsharp to install. For a antenna you can get adapters to go from MCX to whatever, even to SO239.  I've got two of them, the one I use most of the time I just cut off the antenna and made a loop from about 8 feet of wire, and put a coax stub filter right at the feed point to help cut down a blow torch FM radio station here in town.
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2013, 10:11:21 PM »

Randy, the RTL usb stick is the way to go, it's a painless software install if you use SDRsharp to install. For a antenna you can get adapters to go from MCX to whatever, even to SO239.  I've got two of them, the one I use most of the time I just cut off the antenna and made a loop from about 8 feet of wire, and put a coax stub filter right at the feed point to help cut down a blow torch FM radio station here in town.

Where do I get the RTL usb stick?
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2013, 11:03:32 PM »

Amazon sells them among others.
NN4F

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2013, 10:07:09 AM »

Where do I get the RTL usb stick?

www.nooelec.com, get the TV28T, has the better R820T tuner.. works like a dream

Paul- NN4F
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »

As I said, my thought is to use something like this as a basic satellite receiving solution. Do any of the software packages which work with these, have any provisions for CAT? Or are they too experimental for that?
Michael, W4HIJ
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »

Ahhh what the heck, I ordered one. You can spend twenty bucks easy on burgers and fries these days and it will be fun to mess with even if it doesn't satisfy some of the"know it alls" on here. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes I think I've even got an old discone lying around here that will suit it fine for experimentation. Meanwhile the Flex 1500 keeps me as happy as a wolf in a hen house as far as HF is concerned.
Michael, W4HIJ
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »

As I said, my thought is to use something like this as a basic satellite receiving solution.
What are you planning to do concerning satellite receiving? Is it ham radio or else?
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2013, 10:04:44 PM »

As I said, my thought is to use something like this as a basic satellite receiving solution.
What are you planning to do concerning satellite receiving? Is it ham radio or else?
2m/70cm FM ham sats. Maybe a linear bird. Would probably have an RX preamp in the 70cm side at least. I live "way out in the sticks" so I don't think there is anything around here that will just totally overload the thing and blot it out. I don't know how well it will handle when everyone keys up at once trying to get their call and grid out but hey it was 20 bucks right?
Michael
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2013, 10:18:37 PM »

In comparison to your Flex the cost effectiveness is really super. A good antenna will be helpful. I actually can receive NOAA WX satellites with my Chinese HT and the rubber ducky.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2013, 10:39:32 PM »

In comparison to your Flex the cost effectiveness is really super. A good antenna will be helpful. I actually can receive NOAA WX satellites with my Chinese HT and the rubber ducky.
Well yeah, true enough. Then again the RX side of my  Flex cost effectiveness vs. the $2K and up XCVR's it outperforms is pretty super too! Cheesy Cheesy I'm not looking for miracles, I just would like to mess around with the new FM birds that are hopefully soon to be upcoming and I don't want to do it all with an HT, I'd like to do it from the comfort of my shack. I have a discone for experimentation and it's a simple matter for me to whip up a "cheap yagi" if I want something with a little gain. Heck I still have all my homebrew AZ/EL rotator stuff, there's just nothing up above my MA5B HF mini beam right now. I can easily put something there. I can get the signal down to the dongle with no problem, it's just whats it going to do with it when it get's there? That's my 20 buck gamble. My next step up would be a Funcube dongle but I don't have the funds right now.
Michael, W4HIJ
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:17:14 PM by W4HIJ » Logged
NH7L

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2013, 06:27:21 AM »

Between amazon.com and Quicksilver Radio  (qsradio.com), you can find every kind of connector, even made-up cables with connectors, you need for dongle funz. Qsradio will even custom-build cables for you if you're soldering-iron challenged.
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »

Hello, everybody. One simple question. How can I set the gain of the Realtek SDR stick to get about -120dbm noise floor using SDR#? I get no less than -70dbm nose floor!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: