Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVB-T Stick as SDR  (Read 124893 times)
VK4KL

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2013, 02:24:43 AM »

Bought one of the Realtek DVB-T devices and its a waste of time. My 2 meter rig 5' away from the devices antenna and not a thing was heard no sign of signal on the screen at all get plenty of hash and nothing else.

Adrian
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2013, 07:03:37 AM »

Hi Adrian,

Did you have the gain up on the device?

Mine will pick up repeaters out to 50 miles, as well as aircraft as far as New England from Ontario.

I have devoted mine to it's original purpose, SDR on the Yaesu FT990, which it works very well.

I have a second unit sitting in a drawer that I may experiment with, but I find it easier just to use my scanner for the VHF stuff.

Max
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2013, 08:26:31 AM »

Bought one of the Realtek DVB-T devices and its a waste of time. My 2 meter rig 5' away from the devices antenna and not a thing was heard no sign of signal on the screen at all get plenty of hash and nothing else.
What do you mean by your rig being 5' away. Do you receive signals on the rig and not on the stick? do you switch the antenna between both?
Could it be a software issue?
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2013, 11:39:39 AM »

I'm with Max, check the gain. If using SDR# hit the configure button and turn on AGC.
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2013, 11:47:20 AM »

While on the subject of the 990 and the dongle...

Does the unit need all 4 wire connections from the USB jack?

Just curious if it would be possible to mount the tuner inside the 990 and run a USB cable from the back of the 990 to the computer. The tuner could grab its power from the radio, so only the data lines would have to go to the USB port.

Not show how a computer detects something has been plugged into a USB port, is it the current draw or do the data lines trigger something?

Max
VK4KL

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2013, 06:48:12 PM »

I setup the USB device receiving on 147.000mhz used my handheld to transmit on 147.000 simplex and not a thing heard on the SDR. Was using HDSDR and AGC was turned on.
Thinking I might have a faulty unit

Adrian
VK4KL

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2013, 08:50:23 PM »

Update
I have a dud USB device. I borrowed a USB device and it worked perfectly although a bit noisy. Listening to police 170 km away in Rockhampton noisy but understandable next step buy a good USB device and build a decent antenna for it.

Adrian
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2013, 08:28:33 AM »

I setup the USB device receiving on 147.000mhz used my handheld to transmit on 147.000 simplex and not a thing heard on the SDR. Was using HDSDR and AGC was turned on.
Thinking I might have a faulty unit

Adrian

My understanding is that these devices were intended for TV reception. I've read comments that a user has to adjust the tuning to compensate for frequency correction when used for narrow band reception.  Perhaps your receiver is set for 147.000, but it is actually receiving on another frequency?  Does your software have spectrum display features?  Just a WAG on my part.

Pete
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2013, 08:43:49 AM »

Well, transmitting with about 5 W close to a receiver might do some harm to the first stage.
VK4KL

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2013, 11:18:14 PM »

Was only 0.1w from IC2A. Bought new device today and works well.

Tried to find a FunCube online and the best I can find is $313 inc post on eBay are they usually this price?
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2013, 11:28:25 PM »

At https://funcubedongle.3dcartstores.com/checkout_one.asp the sell for 124 GBP which is around $ 200. That is the Pro.
VK4KL

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2013, 11:59:49 PM »

For now I'll stick with the $20 version.

Adrian
WV4I

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2013, 05:28:40 AM »

I can say that the $11 (Ebay) RTL2832/820T chipset USB sticks work great on 1090mhz with the supplied antenna even indoors. Aviation band with outdoor antenna for that band. Ditto FM broadcast and 2M. Except for 1090mhz, using SDR#. Of course your results may vary. The January 2013 QST had a nice article re how to get into this nearly free world of SDR receivers.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »

A Total waste of money is what all of these USB SDR so called receivers are.

All the USB SDR packages suck, they typically cannot find the dongles especially if you are using win 7 or win 8.

Don't waste your money they are to frustrating and certainly not plug and play, if you want to spend, no waste,  weekends trying to get the software to find the dongle, and I tried all of the software packages, then fine waste your money on this junk.

If you value your time then buy a bigger name SDR with discrete IQ outputs to a sound card I have never had a problem with the older models such as softrocks but stay away from these USB dongle nightmares. 
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2014, 12:52:11 PM »

A Total waste of money is what all of these USB SDR so called receivers are.

All the USB SDR packages suck, they typically cannot find the dongles especially if you are using win 7 or win 8.

Don't waste your money they are to frustrating and certainly not plug and play, if you want to spend, no waste,  weekends trying to get the software to find the dongle, and I tried all of the software packages, then fine waste your money on this junk.

If you value your time then buy a bigger name SDR with discrete IQ outputs to a sound card I have never had a problem with the older models such as softrocks but stay away from these USB dongle nightmares. 

I've had no issue with any of the dongles I've purchased, except for one which the computer wouldn't recognize. I've used them with SDR#, HDSDR and RTL1090 all with good success. I have one devoted to my FT990 as a panadapter driver using HDSDR and it works great.

Sure they're are true SDR receivers, what do you expect for $10, but you get a lot of fun for the money. My panadapter works great, I click on a signal and the radio follows. I can use the dongle to monitor a second frequencies for true dual receive.

If anyone needs help setting one up in HDSDR, I'll be glad to help.

VE3TMT

Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: