Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7O6T Out of Band  (Read 2771 times)
K0IZ

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:14:27 AM »

I tried yesterday evening to work 7O6T on 20M SSB.  No luck, but plenty of time to go.  But I was amazed by the total incompetence of some operators.  7O6T was operating on 14145, split, listening 14150 and higher.  Operator frequently id'd and stated "up".  Despite that, large numbers called on his freq.  I know some might mistakenly use wrong VFO, but if so, there is a mighty big bunch who need to read their radio manuals.  And operating out of US phone band!  I'm assuming they were at least Extra Class, else were even further out of their band!  Extra Class incompetents.   Needless to say, those guys didn't work the DX but had plenty of contacts with the freq cops.  I was tempted to write down the calls and post here, but decided they did a good job of embarrassed themselves  on the air. 

KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 10:37:45 AM »

Um...isn't Yemen in region 1? If so, they are OK, according to the IARU Region 1 HF Band Plan...

-- Tom
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 10:42:23 AM »

I think he was talking about hams in the US calling on the DX transmit freq. The amateurs in the US would be transmitting out of band.
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 11:55:59 AM »

Yeah..and one guy (from the States) even keyed-up and stated (on 14145) "You U.S. Extra Class ops are operating out of band, and I've had enough of this..see ya later!".. (Of course..he was operating out of band too.. Roll Eyes )

Yup..

73'..Tom N3ZC
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »

He could have been a Canadian operator, who does have privileges that low. He's still a lid for being a frequency cop, but at least he wouldn't be operating out of band.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 01:17:39 PM »

Does Canada have extra class licenses?

When I'm really bored and just for fun I like to look up the call signs working DX in the extra portion of the bands to see who is actually an extra and who isn't. The percentage of non extras operating there goes up as the DX gets more rare.  Grin But for the most part its not bad at all.

If some people are operating out of band and trying to work DX on the DX transmit frequency...well... these guys have more problems than I want to think about.

Maybe sending a tape to the FCC will help them find a hobby with which they can become competent.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:56:44 PM »

Does Canada have extra class licenses?
Their Advanced Class authorizes SSB on 20 below 14150 (14100-14350 IIRC) so if that was a Canadian frequency cop, he was operating legally (although he'd be in the wrong for being a frequency cop). They also have SSB above 7040 and 21150-21450
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:50:51 AM by W2IRT » Logged

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 10:40:12 AM »

I think he was talking about hams in the US calling on the DX transmit freq. The amateurs in the US would be transmitting out of band.

Oops, I think you're right. Serves me right for replying when I'm still hungry. Smiley

-- Tom
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 05:32:21 PM »

Just to make a small comment, I listened for about an hour this PM and while I knew he was up, probably 10 up, he never said up how much or even up.  I'm just glad he wasn't up 7 or something odd.

Sam
W9KDX
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 08:00:22 AM »

He could have been a Canadian operator, who does have privileges that low. He's still a lid for being a frequency cop, but at least he wouldn't be operating out of band.

I'm sure he didn't ID, even if he was in band, that's just as bad.

The fact that he didn't ID leads me to believe that he's not Canadian.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »

Wow. What a difference a band makes. After trying on 17M for 6 days with no luck, I went to 20M, where is he receiving out of band, but listening within band. So the ops that don't realize are TXing out of band, so 20 people come out and TX to tell him he is out of band!

LOL
K4VUD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »

DX ssb xmitting out of American phone band... is a good idea because it just may alert a few to turn on the split button.  The IC-7800 radio has a really big bright white light up top of face that lights up brightly for SPLIT but the operator still has to turn it on.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 08:26:06 PM »

I do not have the MARS mod. I do not think I can warn them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: