Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the Best Place in the world to have a Ham Station?  (Read 6297 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:13:10 PM »

I am not sure if this has been discussed before but I am looking at a Map trying to figure out what would be the ultimate location for a QTH (I am Not planning to move just wondering)

I guess one would have to set some basic Criteria.

1) A location that is easy to work the Big three (Japan, USA and Europe)  IMO it makes no sense to be based on a remote location that cannot access a wide range of Hams on a daily basis year round. DXing is fun to a point but a good location also needs good Rag chewing capabilities.

2) The ability to access just about any location on the planet even with average solar numbers.

3) Factors like politics, wars, lack of water etc. don't matter it's just down to a location.
OK maybe some factors should be considered since without food and water whats the point Smiley  Maybe two answers are needed, the best for propagation and the best with minimum living standards factored in.

Obviously no place is perfect but whats your opinion of the best location on the planet for a ham operator.

Robert

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:22:33 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 08:23:27 PM »

Where the biggest contest stations are located: The ABC Islands, D4, EA8, etc. They're there for a reason, after all!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:10:50 PM »

If you love endless DX'ing then hands down P5 would be the ideal place.  You will have access to all parts of the world day and night  Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »

Where the biggest contest stations are located: The ABC Islands, D4, EA8, etc. They're there for a reason, after all!

Looking at it on the Map from D4 and EA8 it looks like one hell of a trip over almost all land to JA and the rest of Asia (via short path) and a hell of a long trip via long path. It is a Nice location for the USA and Europe but can you easily reach JA and is DX to the Vast amount of Pacific Islands all that good?  Seems like the Caribbean is a better choice, what do you think?
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 09:37:30 PM »

If you love endless DX'ing then hands down P5 would be the ideal place.  You will have access to all parts of the world day and night  Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX

Grin  Very True but food, water and seeing daylight may become a problem  Grin
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:58:28 PM »

Looking at it on the Map from D4 and EA8 it looks like one hell of a trip over almost all land to JA and the rest of Asia (via short path) and a hell of a long trip via long path. It is a Nice location for the USA and Europe but can you easily reach JA and is DX to the Vast amount of Pacific Islands all that good?  Seems like the Caribbean is a better choice, what do you think?
Depends on your focus, honestly. The premise was "best for working DX". EA8/D4 has a path to JA open 24 hours a day on 20 and 14+ hours on 15 at the moment, Europe 24 hours obviously, NA/SA/Caribbean are chip shots over salt water and Africa/Indian Ocean 24 hours. Only dead spots are the south Pacific, VK and ZL. Remember, as I posted in the 9M0L thread earlier today, the length of the path is irrelevant. The critical issue is what's over a polar path. Being over a large landmass but due east-west is much preferable to being closer but trans-polar.

Grin  Very True but food, water and seeing daylight may become a problem  Grin

Political issues aside with P5 (other than that, how'd you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?), it's not in a great location. It's at almost the exact same latitude as Washington, DC; 39 degrees North. Think how hard it is to hear South Korea from NA. It's invariably more difficult than JA. Now, go north a few hundred miles. The path would be pretty awful to NA. You'd work every JA on every band and most of Europe on every band but that would be it. Once everyone got their fill you'd be begging in about 3 weeks. Look at BY and ZA stations. Once the rarest of the rare, now they rarely have big pileups more than a few deep.

The key to this is longevity, not rarity. If you want to be able to turn on the radio and generate a pileup at any given moment, you have to put in a crushing signal to your target, and make folks know who you are during contests, which is when you'll make most of your Q's anyways. You do that by locating somewhere that's got a salt water path in every direction and is a 3-point Q to each major ham population centre in CQWW and ARRL-DX.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »

There would be a lot of demand for your station if you were in North Korea but once you worked everybody that wanted you it would quickly become a mediocre location, at best.  Japan would be a chip shot, but the Central and East coast of North America would be tough paths.  Europe would be so-so.  And that's assuming the political climate had changed and a Western style democracy was in change.

W2IRT already gave you the correct answer. I have never heard a weak signal from Cape Verde or the Canary Islands.  They are both close to the equator which is good for propagation, the weather is usually beautiful, and they are governed by Western democracies.

What more could you want in a DX location?

Chris/NU1O

PS I wrote this without seeing W2IRT's most recent post.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:03:55 PM by NU1O » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »

What more could you want in a DX location?
Hot and cold exotic babes bringing you drinks in hollowed-out coconuts with little umbrellas in them and amps, ancillary gear and gov't regulations that can provide for that crushing signal, before it even reaches your stacks.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:23:44 PM »

For HF communication, locations on the Geogmagnetic Equator minimize signal interaction with the absorptive auroral zones. These locations also enjoy the most Es propagation on VHF. Locations on the Geomagnetic Equator from ZD8 to 8Q have excellent propagation to all populated continents.

Dave, AA6YQ
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 12:56:58 AM »

I am not sure if this has been discussed before but I am looking at a Map trying to figure out what would be the ultimate location for a QTH (I am Not planning to move just wondering)

I guess one would have to set some basic Criteria.

1) A location that is easy to work the Big three (Japan, USA and Europe)  IMO it makes no sense to be based on a remote location that cannot access a wide range of Hams on a daily basis year round. DXing is fun to a point but a good location also needs good Rag chewing capabilities.

2) The ability to access just about any location on the planet even with average solar numbers.

3) Factors like politics, wars, lack of water etc. don't matter it's just down to a location.
OK maybe some factors should be considered since without food and water whats the point Smiley  Maybe two answers are needed, the best for propagation and the best with minimum living standards factored in.

Obviously no place is perfect but whats your opinion of the best location on the planet for a ham operator.

Robert

A yacht!  Smiley
WS4T

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 05:33:14 AM »

Here's a related story: http://cu2a.radioarcala.com/AboutCU2X/StoryofCU2X/tabid/281/Default.aspx
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 07:58:08 AM »

Excellent question - and very interesting answers!
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »

Depends on your focus, honestly. The premise was "best for working DX". EA8/D4 has a path to JA open 24 hours a day on 20 and 14+ hours on 15 at the moment, Europe 24 hours obviously, NA/SA/Caribbean are chip shots over salt water and Africa/Indian Ocean 24 hours. Only dead spots are the south Pacific, VK and ZL. Remember, as I posted in the 9M0L thread earlier today, the length of the path is irrelevant. The critical issue is what's over a polar path. Being over a large landmass but due east-west is much preferable to being closer but trans-polar.

Very good info, I did some messing around with Google Earth moving around the Sun and seeing what areas had daylight at the same time etc. and you are correct it would seem that EA8 and D4 are probably the best place on earth for working DX. I don’t think they would qualify as the 100% winner if Rag Chewing was added in but they are the best from what I can tell for overall DXing.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »

Very nice article thanks.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 03:17:14 PM »

After studying my QTH in HFTA my answer would be "Anywhere but my QTH - which literally is at the bottom of an old volcano - the Sibley National Preserve" . . . .

Rich
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: