Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the Best Place in the world to have a Ham Station?  (Read 6645 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »

and you are correct it would seem that EA8 and D4 are probably the best place on earth for working DX. I don’t think they would qualify as the 100% winner if Rag Chewing was added in but they are the best from what I can tell for overall DXing.

For ragchewing, that depends on the number of languages in which you're fluent enough to hold a conversation. If you're unilingual English, then being in the middle of the more populous regions of United States, with propagation to the most populous regions of Canada and the U.K. would obviously make the most sense, with antennas optimized for both high and low angles. If you're fluently bilingual or better, then probably some location in reasonable proximity to the countries whose languages you speak. English/French: east-coast US, with good paths to both Québec and France, and so on.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
HS0ZJU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 07:11:12 PM »

For me it is hs. Although I didn't move here for radio. Almost all contacts are dx and pile ups get boring....

Once you have a recipricol license you get a 60 meter tower permit no questions asked......
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »

I'm not telling.  Grin

John  V47JA
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 07:36:47 AM »

I would go home…HK0
K1XV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 07:15:46 PM »

You could become a Greek Orthodox monk and join Apollo on Mount Athos.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 09:08:18 PM »

You could become a Greek Orthodox monk and join Apollo on Mount Athos.

Give up the YL's for Ham Radio  Wink Wink No Thanks  Grin
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 05:08:51 PM »

Best place is the highest hill with a 360 degree view withing 10 minutes of my house.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 08:38:34 AM »

I would say PJ or 9Y (because, ya know, I'm biased like that) but low bands are going to be a pain in the butt!
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 09:15:17 AM »

Radio Canada is closing their transmitting facility in Sackville New Brunswick. It is built on top of a salt marsh and as you can see has a few nice towers.

I just need to cash in a few thousand of my shares of Berkshire Hathaway so the I could put a down payment on it. Now this site would be sweet!

http://www.mds975.co.uk/masts/sackville.html

http://hawkins.pair.com/rci1.shtml

Zack
N8FNR
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 10:30:03 AM »

Radio Canada is closing their transmitting facility in Sackville New Brunswick. It is built on top of a salt marsh and as you can see has a few nice towers.
Zack
N8FNR

Nice setup but this is about location, and I think the best locations will be near the Equator with lots of ocean in all directions and the right position to get the most global coverage of the Big three plus as many other countries by using solar propagation.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:33:49 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 11:19:39 AM »

What came to mind straight off were Lord Howe Island, Ascencion Island.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 12:31:39 PM »

I would say probably Curacao. That's why you see the super station PJ2T on top of the contest charts during most every major contest. Not only the nice station they have, but close to the equator, near the top of a hill, next to the ocean. I think they picked a good spot Smiley

John K7KB
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 04:20:58 PM »

I would say probably Curacao. That's why you see the super station PJ2T on top of the contest charts during most every major contest. Not only the nice station they have, but close to the equator, near the top of a hill, next to the ocean. I think they picked a good spot Smiley

John K7KB

It is a good spot althought the trip to JA and the rest of Asia is really long, you might be better up by Haiti, Cuba, Jamaica.
The main problem with it is the same problem for most of the Caribbean, you don't get that optimum grey line path to most of the globe like you get from the Canary island chain.
K4VUD

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »

I can tell u it would NOT be the Bangkok, Thailand area.  Some kind of prop weirdness lowers incoming signals strength.  Noticed for over a decade in weekly skeds to USA, receiving in HS is degraded about 2 S-units compared to average reports coming from transmitted signals from HS.  This factor needs research.

Ok, so u r mild DX and people will always call you but they also curse you for not hearing them, altho the HS is loud to them.  Dont blame me.  73, HS0ZCW
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: