Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Only One H.F. Antenna?  (Read 6188 times)
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 05:33:58 PM »

Your bio says you have an Icom AH-4.  If you're not running a lot of power, you could save yourself a boat load of cash and put that coupler at the base of either a 43' wire hung from a tree limb, or the equivalent telescoping aluminum tubing.  That said, I also have and endorse the BigIR; a wonderful, albeit plain vanilla, 1/4 wave vertical.

If 80m isn't your thing, the Hustler BTV series works just fine.  I used a 5BTV some years ago, but was frustrated by the sliver of 80m bandwith it offered.  Other than that, it worked fine over a large radial field.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:42:50 AM by K3GM » Logged
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 06:41:03 PM »

Inverted L with remote auto tuner.
KU7I

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 11:23:23 PM »

If no restrictions of any type and ideal support strcutures available a sky loop for the lowest band fed with open wire. A full wave on 160 is only about 135 feet per side. Even if only 50 ft up it works REALLY well. Another good option is a quarter wave vertical for the lowest band of choice fed with open wire...yes...open wire. I have used both but the loop is so much quieter than the vertical. My full size 80 meter 1/4 wave vertical was 66ft tall and ground mounted. Fed with Radio Shack 300 ohm tv twin lead. Had around six 60 ft radials. Wow was it a monster on 80 to 20!

Lane Ku7i
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 03:14:51 AM »

For the higher band (20 and up) I would use a Hex beam. It's only has a 21 feet diameter (turn radius is only 10'5 feet!) but uses full size element. You will have gain and F/B on 5 bands (20 - 6 meter)! That will make a big difference over a single dipole.

For the low bands (40 and down) I'd go for the inverted L since I rather work DX than Local stations.

If I could only have one antenna I would go for a centre fed dipole with open line and a balanced tuner but only if I could get up high enough (minimal Half a wave lenght for 20 meters but higher would be a lot better).

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 06:31:34 AM »

Easy.  A Hygain Hytower.

The problem with multiband doublets is they have lobes and nulls on the higher bands.  If you could rotate it that'd be one thing, but as a fixed antenna I consider that to be an unworkable compromise.  The gain lobes won't have that much gain, and the nulls can be 10-20 dB.  A vertical like the Hytower will give you great useable bandwidth, good efficiency, good TOA and an omni pattern.  As good as you're going to get for a single antenna.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 07:10:06 AM »

>My 5BTV is used for portable ops while snowbirding.

How do you set the antenna up in a portable/transportable fashion?  Doesn't it need a substantial pole in the ground to clamp it to for support?
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 04:40:37 AM »

A simple wire doublet fed with twinlead. 

I spent many years with a open wire fed antenna as my only antenna. Works all bands, length not too important and takes legal limit. The best choice easily for a ham that can only have ONE antenna..

Stan K9IUQ
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 07:27:33 PM »

If you could go to two antennas, I would try a doublet for the lowest frequency feed with twin lead facing North and South. Then another doublet for the lowest frequency feed with twin lead facing East and West. That, and a switch box, will make you a very happy ham!  Smiley

The next question would be, where to put the vertical wire antenna!  Grin

Wire antennas are very inexpensive, easy to build and hide. No sense limiting yourself.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:30:35 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: