Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 25 or 45G  (Read 1462 times)
KB8BAB

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2012, 04:58:10 PM »

OK,
This is what I have..
- Hygain exp 14 with 40M kit ~17Sq ft wind-load.
- I can bracket a tower to the house at about 20-22 feet.
- Tower height to be ~45feet

I got two quotes but would like some opinions please.

Quote 1 was for a Rohn 25G Unguyed but bracketed to the house..
Quote 2 was for a Nello 45N Unguyed and bracketed to the house..

I cannot find info on either site regarding this type of set-up.
Does anyone have a similar set-up, or are they all guyed...

Regards, Bart
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »

Never used the Nello, but the Rohn 45G is very nice tower and worth the difference in cost compared to the 25G.

It's not only stronger, it's also easier to climb!  (More room for your boots/feet.)

It will also take a T2X rotator internally, which the 25G won't.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 06:14:21 PM »

X2 for the 45G.  Couple of things though.  Personally, I hate working atop bracketed towers.  They move around too much.  Secondly, a bracketed tower means it's against your dwelling; a tall conductive structure attached to your home is too close for comfort for me.

Check the specs on that antenna.  The area listed for the Explorer is 7.5 sq. ft.  Add another sq. foot or so for the 40m element, and you're still way under the 17sq. ft. that you noted.
KB8BAB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 07:35:30 PM »

X2 for the 45G.  Couple of things though.  Personally, I hate working atop bracketed towers.  They move around too much.  Secondly, a bracketed tower means it's against your dwelling; a tall conductive structure attached to your home is too close for comfort for me.

Check the specs on that antenna.  The area listed for the Explorer is 7.5 sq. ft.  Add another sq. foot or so for the 40m element, and you're still way under the 17sq. ft. that you noted.

Thanks for that info.....you are correct! It is no more than 8.5 sq ft total...

Bart
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »

Another problem with towers bracketed to a structure is the transmission of noise from vibration of antenna elements or rotator operation.
W5LVB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:14:40 AM »

A 45G at ~45' will be just fine without a bracket to structure. it will, in most instances, be as strong or stronger that most standard 'stand-alone' towers of lighter construction.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »

A 45G at ~45' will be just fine without a bracket to structure. it will, in most instances, be as strong or stronger that most standard 'stand-alone' towers of lighter construction.

I agree. You do want at least a 4 x 5ft deep hole for base though.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »

Never used the Nello, but the Rohn 45G is very nice tower and worth the difference in cost compared to the 25G.

It's not only stronger, it's also easier to climb!  (More room for your boots/feet.)

It will also take a T2X rotator internally, which the 25G won't.

Steve, are you sure you meant 25G tower?  I have a Tailwister snuggled in my Rohn 25 foldover.
Fit fine, with no issues, and it is sitting on a Rohn tower plate.

Pete
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 05:32:38 PM »

Where did you obtain this data?  According to Rohn, 35' is the maximum unguyed height @ 90mph wind, no ice load. ('HGR, I suppose you get ice occasionally up there in MI?)  That's with 1.9 sq. ft. of antennas on it.

Rohn specs are conservative, but with 10' over, and 4 times the maximum recommended antenna area with no ice load..... show me the specs that says this is OK.
W7RIP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 05:41:24 AM »

Pete K1ZJH

Thanks for the input on the rotator fit in Rohn 25G. I was discussing this very topic at Ham coffee yesterday morning and have pretty much made up my mind to go with the 25G over the 45G for value reasons based on a short tower of probably not over 35 feet. I had not  considered whether there was going to be an issue with the various rotator under consideration fitting inside the tower on the Rohn plate. Does anyone know whether the Yaseu 450 will fit in this space?  73s Roger Rippy   W7RIP   Bozeman, MT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: