Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to call CQ DX on JT65?  (Read 7395 times)
WALTERB

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:30:29 PM »

whats the best way to call DX on JT65?

thanks
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:28:13 AM »

By clicking the Call CQ button in the program.......not sure I follow exactly what you're asking.
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 07:03:12 AM »

By clicking the Call CQ button in the program.......not sure I follow exactly what you're asking.

If I click the CQ button it just calls CQ (My Call sign) and (My Grid Location).

I want to call CQ DX.

thanks.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:08:34 AM »

The standard format for calling CQ is "CQ <callsign> <grid>" which is what you get when you click CQ (at least on JT65-HF which what I use). Sticking with standard format is preferred because it means the person that wants to replay only has to double click on your CQ in his decode box. With the double click, the OM's initial reply field is filled out and  his transmit frequency is set to your receive.

If you want to deviate from the standard, you need to use the free form text field and put in "CQ DX <callsign>". If you do this often you can set it as a macro. Note that the free form text field has a 13 character limit (spaces are included in the count) so you can't do something like "CQ AFRICA DE <callsign>" like you could with PSK31, for example. Also note that if you use the non-standard CQ format, since the DX can't just double click to answer your call but instead must manually set their frequency and reply, you are less likely to get the DX to come back to you unless the band is really quiet or the DX needs your qso.

I would recommend staying with the standard CQ and take who ever answers. The longest you'll be saddled with a domestic QSO is about 6 minutes. In short order you will have worked all the regulars and you'll find that when get on the air, most of the US stations aren't working each other but all are chasing DX stations.

If you can be heard the DX stations will come back to you if you call enough. In the mean while, you can look for DX CQs and answer them.

Ray KJ6AMF
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 08:11:35 AM »

Setup a separate "CQ DX" macro in your software and use that macro to call CQ with.  Assuming you're using JT65-HF it's under the setup menu, macros.  Then once you have the macro set up, right click in the TX Text box and select that macro to call CQ with.  Something like CQ DX 'YOUR CALL' would be fine.

Hope that makes sense!
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 01:02:27 PM »

If I click the CQ button it just calls CQ (My Call sign) and (My Grid Location).

I want to call CQ DX.

thanks.

Walter,

What software are you using?

Dlewyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 01:43:44 PM »

I want to call CQ DX.

thanks.

Walter,

What software are you using?

Dlewyn KH6DC

JT65-HF  thanks.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 05:50:15 PM »

Remember this important fact.

If you place CQ DX in your call when someone clicks on your call in the waterfall it will not allow them to answer. They have to type in your call in the TX Text box in order to answer you. At least I have that problem with JT65-HF.
AL7ID

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:29:48 PM »

Hi,

How about CQ <callsign> DX ?

Then I think the receiving station can click on it to reply....

John AL7ID
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 06:20:13 AM »

As I mentioned before any text in your CQ that is not protocol for the software will not allow the person on the other end to double click and answer your call.

If I type in CQ DX VE3FMC into the TX Text (13 Characters) box and hit Enable TX it will send that text out.

However who ever tries answering that call will get this text on his decode screen when he double clicks on  CQ DX VE3FMC.

It will read "Can not computer TX message"

So the only way you will answer that CQ is to type in the call sign of the guy calling CQ DX.

Next time you see someone calling CQ DX or CQ WI (or whatever state they may be looking for) try answering that call and see what happens. I get the same response every time I see a none standard CQ call on JT65.

If you want to work DX then watch the decode box and pounce on the DX stations that are calling CQ. Works for me, and it works the other way around too. Sure you are going to get calls from non DX stations, but hey isn't that why we operate, to make contacts?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:32:20 AM by VE3FMC » Logged
KJ6WSM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »

Hi,
I concur with VE3FMC.
There was a special Russian event going on sending CQ that didn't follow the standard format. JT65-HF refused to cue it up for a response. I have seen others sending CQ DX <call> over and over and over .... only to die on the vine waiting for a reply, again JT65-HF refusing to cue it.

I would not detour from the standard format 'CQ <call> <grid>'

The fun of JT65 is waiting and watching for that unique DX call, then trying a QSO. It's a crap shoot, some days you see pole to pole and others your lucky to see the east coast of the USA (I'm on the west coast of the USA). 

See you in the water fall.
Michael
KJ6WSM... 73
AE5J

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 06:29:38 AM »

I agree with what is being said here about non-standard CQ's.

One trick I learned is that if you don't get that DX station on your first try, watch the progression of the QSO carefully and give him a call as soon as he sends "73" rather than waiting for him to send another CQ.

Some seasoned DX operators try to speed the process and don't send the standard "RRR" or "73" reports, but instead send something like "R73 DX <callsign>" with some consideration of the 13 character limit. Again, that won't allow the automatic process, so you have to either have set the QSO up beforehand or double clicked on his CQ previously and manually enable TX.

All in all though, sending the standard CQ works best, unless you hunt and pounce.

GDX 73 AE5J
Pete

AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »

I agree with what is being said here about non-standard CQ's.

One trick I learned is that if you don't get that DX station on your first try, watch the progression of the QSO carefully and give him a call as soon as he sends "73" rather than waiting for him to send another CQ.
GDX 73 AE5J
Pete

I've used this method successfully more than once to get a DX station when there is a bit of a pileup. If you call the DX you want when he's listening, and he's running JT65-HF, when his software decodes your transmission it will highlight it as red and all he has to do is double click your call to answer.

If the DX just showed up and you have several people calling him on the same frequency he's transmitting, find a quiet spot and call there. Since he's working the waterfall with software that looks for his callsign, you don't have to be on frequency to get his attention.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 06:35:42 AM »

If you watch the waterfall you will see that most DX stations call CQ.

My technique for working DX is to put together a hard (for me) jigsaw puzzle while operating JT65--I'm down to the last 100 or so pieces of Van Gogh's "Starry Night."

There is a lot of DX on 40--I've worked A61, TA1, UN7, HB0, and ZL3 recently.  I just put up an 80 meter top loaded wire vertical--mostly just Eu and the Caribbean, but I did get Alaska, which is a tough state for a lot of folks in New England.

Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:48:02 AM by W1VT » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: