Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM-735 no transmit on SSB  (Read 2553 times)
W8VN

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »

My ICOM 735 started giving problems lately.  Seems to work fine on CW, but when operating in SSB, the transmit is intermittent.  Actually more off than on.  Don't think it is the mic or mic connector, as the VOX works fine.  Speak into the MIC, the VOX trips normally, radio goes into xmit, but no power output.  Will stay in xmit as long as you talk - just no pwr output.  It seems to xmit for a few seconds when you first start testing, then quickly quits.  Any thoughts?
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:37:57 AM »

Does this happen on all frequencies? How about AM/FM? What is the input current? Does it change when it goes from transmit to no transmit? Can you try it with a dummy load?
W8VN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 11:55:37 AM »

Thanks for reply.  Same on all freqs.  Keying on AM or FM with the VOX gives constant carrier whether talking or not.  I would expect this on FM as normal.  Would expect power meter to "kick" up when modulating AM but it does not.  No current meter on this PS - will have to dig up one.  Same symptoms with antenna or dummy load.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »

This does very much like the modulating AF is missing. This could be as simple as a bad contact. You may download the service manual and follow the signal coming from the mic. I'd carefully pull out the respective connector(s) and reseat it/them. Corrosion of those contacts is very common with all radios.
You must judge your skills. If you don't feel good, rather get some help.
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:19:04 AM »

Try with another mic just to se if it is the PTT button.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 07:22:08 PM »

If all else fails, drop a quiry to Scott ....   http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/mts/

He is the best of the best esp. with Icoms and is always ready to offer sage advise rather that just "send it in".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: