Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yemen Activation?  (Read 24152 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2012, 06:41:26 PM »

I would also like to thank the team. I worked WD5COV and LZ2HM. The chance to work such a (ex) rare entity was a thrill. As W2IRT pointed out - a month ago, who would have thought 7O was possible. When I saw the Diamond Jubilee DXCC list and noticed Socotra Island was one of the entities I laughed hysterically. You just never know - which is what makes DXing so much fun.

We are fortunate to have so many talented DXpeditioneers around the world.
HS0ZJU

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2012, 09:08:33 PM »

As I mentioned in by Facebook feed (www.facebook.com/W2IRT), I'm not convinced that they'll pull off DXpedition Of The Year, even assuming nobody else comes close, including the ZL9--from whom I'm not expecting much in NA due to their time-of-day environmental restrictions.

If you compare the overall stats of 7O6T vs HK0NA, the numbers are quite telling. Using the May 14th stats for 7O, 65% of their Qs went to Europe, 19% to North America and 14% to Asia (all percentages rounded to the nearest integer), with 36,441 uniques.

The Malpelo guys did 46% NA, 41% Europe and 7.3% to Asia, limited by the mountain, not operator skill or propagation. They worked 42,490 uniques. Their numbers were more balanced NA/EU-wise than was 7O and they definitely spent more time looking for Europe than 7O did looking for NA.

7O's signals were crushingly loud and their ops, especially the Russian CW guys, were fast and accurate beyond belief. It was also a far more rare -- and potentially dangerous -- location than Malpelo, so give them that too. Still, though, in terms of best of 2012?  I love the fact that an entity I was convinced would be one of the last 2 or 3 I'd need for HR#1 came up this fast and represented that well, but the overall distribution of QSOs world-wide may tip the scale in Malpelo's favour.

Let's see what the rest of 2012 brings. Did someone say Navassa? (pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease)

The stats reflect operarors (Ham community not 7O). Although you would think since hk is in your backyard na would have a lot bigger %.....The fact is na operators are more cutious then eu ops. It is sad to say spain and eu seem to be the worst offenders.  This is not only my experience but my qth gave me the ability to hear dx and rx together...during 7O qrv....I also learned we have a 24hour path to that part of the world.....this operation was top notch imho.....73 marc hs0zju
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »

The stats reflect operarors (Ham community not 7O). Although you would think since hk is in your backyard na would have a lot bigger %.....The fact is na operators are more cutious then eu ops. It is sad to say spain and eu seem to be the worst offenders.  This is not only my experience but my qth gave me the ability to hear dx and rx together...during 7O qrv....I also learned we have a 24hour path to that part of the world.....this operation was top notch imho.....73 marc hs0zju

Marc, you're not wrong but if I could add a blunt and non-politically-correct comment, it's not that NA operators are more courteous, but that operators from certain southern and eastern European countries are not. There are still a lot of older European hams who are very provincial in their attitudes--their friends and fellow countrymen first, other neighbouring friendly countries next and to hell with NA or JA. Some are still fighting long-gone wars attitudinally. Given recent world events, there's also an additional bias against the U.S. from many corners of the globe.

Frankly there's a huge number of hams in southern Europe -- Italy and Spain, I'm looking squarely at you! -- who simply have no manners when it comes to radio. Russia, Poland and Slovakia have their fair share, too, but far less in my observations. There is simply no way around these people and there is no legal recourse through their national societies or governments to silence the bad eggs. Peer pressure means nothing to this type of person either.

Part of me dreads an activation of a needed middle-Eastern, African or Indian Ocean DXCC entity, knowing that there are almost no hours in the day where the path to these places doesn't pass through Zones 15 and 16 first. I look forward to working rare ones where we're competing with JA rather than EU, even if it's a difficult path with crappy propagation (think 9M0L or BS7H). I breathe a sigh of relief when I look at the propagation tables and see that EU has different peak hours than Zone 5 on two or three bands, or that EU is off the back of my beam when I'm calling them.

I've met many wonderful warm, friendly and fantastic hams last year when I was at Friedrichshafen and I made some lasting friendships over the years with some great EU operators. Folks like that are NOT the problem and I despise lobbing them all into the same category, because it's just as unfair as lumping the ignorant pigfarmers in the South with the rest of the conscientious, skilled contesters/DXers in the U.S. But the fact remains, there is a massive problem that is festering out of control and has only gotten worse since Clublog greenies became the holy grail of DXing.

While I love collecting said greenies, I also long for the days in which there wasn't a killer pileup for every band slot.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K5JZ

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2012, 04:02:09 AM »

I think that this team of DXPeditioners did an outstanding job on very short notice. This was because of plans lain long ago and top notch management. While we all experienced the absolute worst that humankind has to offer... in the trolls that attacked each pileup... harassing those DX'ers trying to break those pileups... the operators maintained their cool and handled the pileups as best as they could have. They left the frequency a few times just to prove a point.

I saw some of the most egregious and evil things being printed on RTTY... being sent on CW and spoken on SSB. May all of these evildoers burn in hell! For the rest of you... the vast majority of hams chasing the 7O6T ops... thank you for your proper and cordial operations and congrats to those that made it and condolences and better luck next time to those that didn't.

I especially want to thank Paul and Jeff for their tremendous efforts from Yemen. In a group of world class DX'ers, these two Americans stood out as examples of what a DXPEditioner is supposed to be. Hugh and Gus were looking down from Heaven and smiling guys!

If you can afford it, please help this group of guys so that they will continue to bring us these types of operations. I know that I will be sending them a check today.

George K5JZ
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:05:31 AM by K5JZ » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2012, 05:47:02 AM »

W2IRT, Peter said:  "Folks like that are NOT the problem and I despise lobbing them all into the same category, because it's just as unfair as lumping the ignorant pigfarmers in the South with the rest of the conscientious, skilled contesters/DXers in the U.S."

Not quite sure where you are headed with that comment Peter, but sounds like we all raise pigs down here. Huh

Amazingly, Not all of us are ignorant & We dont all raise pigs.............  Gene AF3Y
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2012, 05:47:56 AM »

I whole heartedly agree with Peter that the ClubLogs should not offer the leaderboard list and put peer pressure
to chase all band slots. It kind of feeds the ego of the big stations and brings forth the war of aluminum and
amps with a contest environment.

No leaderboard actually works in favor of the Dxpedition as well., since they will add more unique callsigns
to their logs in the hopes that the big guns will take it easy and the little stations might stand a chance.
All one needs is 100 Dxcc entities per band and that is not difficult to achieve.

While 6O has been activated earlier as compared to 7O, i am guessing that the pileups are not as bad for 6O
in the absence of the leaderboard listing.

Just my 2 cents
Krish
w4vku
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2012, 06:30:57 AM »

All one needs is 100 Dxcc entities per band and that is not difficult to achieve.

That is a good goal Krish but I am chasing the DXCC Challenge award which requires band fills for each entity.

Mark N1UK
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »

I whole heartedly agree with Peter that the ClubLogs should not offer the leaderboard list and put peer pressure
to chase all band slots. It kind of feeds the ego of the big stations and brings forth the war of aluminum and
amps with a contest environment.

No leaderboard actually works in favor of the Dxpedition as well., since they will add more unique callsigns
to their logs in the hopes that the big guns will take it easy and the little stations might stand a chance.

Krish, I'm not advocating that Clublog slots shouldn't be there. I chase 'em and I enjoy it (usually). But I was pointing out that when they're not available it makes the chase more interesting and I kinda miss the days before it happened. But now that it has, the genie can't be put back in the bottle and we're stuck with every station on HF wanting/demanding/expecting to work every DXpedition on 22+ band slots.

Online logs really only served one major purpose...they let you know you were in the log on a given band/mode. I duped Scarborough on CW and SSB because I was afraid of a logging error wiping out my Q. That's two less pileups I'd have suffered through if I could have seen my call was successfully logged on my first two Qs. Here's a thought: register your call and e-mail address in advance and you'll get an autoresponder-generated email telling you you're in the log, and asking you to please not call again on this band/mode slot. This would NOT allow you to see anybody else's stats so the competition factor would be lessened somewhat (LOOK!!!!! Luigi got two more fills than me...mama mia!! I must turn my amp up to 11 now so I can beat him or I will forever feel shame upon my house!!!!!!).

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2012, 11:13:58 AM »

As much as I hate leader boards and band/mode slot boxes - maybe it does something helpful - they generate many QSO's and possibly help with financing and donations for these DXpeditions we all crave. Just a thought.

Although I fail to understand after you worked 1 DXpedition 38 times why you would want to work the next DXpedition to the same place another 38 times. But there's many things I don't understand.  Grin
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2012, 11:27:47 AM »

Thanks for a great DXpedition.  Worked Paul, N6PSE when calling for North America only.  that's how it should be done instead of everyone, by zones.  Though I'm in Honolulu, Hawaii, Paul heard me within the pileups and graciously stopped everyone, asking for KH6 Hawaii only.  I was the lone check in from Hawaii at that time.  Hope to see you all again in another DXpedition!

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »

Hi Delwyn--good to hear you made it from Hawaii--I used to DX as a youngster from Pacific Heights, Honolulu.  Really frustrating at times when the DX would work by numbers--I recall being up one night working FR7CG/T with 4W and a vertical--had to work through a bunch of lids saying there were no sixes up at that time!

73 Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:57:07 AM by W1VT » Logged
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2012, 06:00:46 AM »

W2IRT, Peter said:  "Folks like that are NOT the problem and I despise lobbing them all into the same category, because it's just as unfair as lumping the ignorant pigfarmers in the South with the rest of the conscientious, skilled contesters/DXers in the U.S."

Not quite sure where you are headed with that comment Peter, but sounds like we all raise pigs down here. Huh

Amazingly, Not all of us are ignorant & We dont all raise pigs.............  Gene AF3Y

Only the locals.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2012, 07:46:28 AM »

Only the locals.

From where I'm sitting in NJ, it seems that whenever there are stateside frequency cops and lids QRMing DX operations or in the DX windows on the low bands they're usually carrying on with thick southern drawl and/or signing with a 4-land call. I've also heard a number of KP4 stations with incredibly bad pileup behaviour (screaming kilo-papa-four (only-no suffixes) endlessly on QRGs). Maybe it's my location but I rarely hear that kind of garbage from the west coast, the northeast or Canada. Well, except for some VE2s carrying on in French near the 80m DX window, but that's about it.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »

Maybe it's my location but I rarely hear that kind of garbage from the west coast . . . .

One thing that has been consistent since I started DX-ing, and that is - the competition on the West Coast and the Rockies (whom I always hear in the pileups) always seems friendly - especially on the low bands. It seems that the low band DX-ers - especially in the morning grey line know that each of us will get our turn as the grey line passes over - so there is even more of a "take your turn" style. That's why I have always liked morning grey lines. Plus we have Peets Coffee here while we wait!

In fact, the way people "play well together" out here even feels like we are rooting for each other.

Sure - it can get crazy sometimes, and at the beginning of a new rare DX-ped it can be ugly, but it always gets very civil here after the first day.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: May 17, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »

On a few occasions I find myself in a pileup working LP during greyline.  The DX station is barely above the noise and yet the pileup is well behaved.  We each take our turns calling.  In those situations you don't feel like you are competing, but rather rooting for each other like Rich said.

I heard from others that working ZS8M was like that.  Each NA station took turns calling on 40m.  Too bad I had a POS antenna at the time.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: