Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone in Missouri doing amp repairs?  (Read 5735 times)
WY0Q

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »

Looking to get my amp repaired. See my recent post "Amp makes a popping sound".  I will gladly deliver anywhere in the state. It is an ameritron 811
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »

I can walk you thru the fix in 10 minutes if you want to call me...All you need is a Phillips screwdriver and a set of HV caps which I have plenty and can send you a set or you can buy them at www.newark.com very cheap... No soldering necessary.

www.N4ATS.com
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 04:55:42 AM »

I can walk you thru the fix in 10 minutes if you want to call me...All you need is a Phillips screwdriver and a set of HV caps which I have plenty and can send you a set or you can buy them at www.newark.com very cheap... No soldering necessary.

www.N4ATS.com

Can't beat that offer with a stick
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:25:45 PM »

Looking to get my amp repaired. See my recent post "Amp makes a popping sound".  I will gladly deliver anywhere in the state. It is an ameritron 811

Now wait just a minute.  You have an extra class license and you can't repair that amplifier by yourself?  If you had one of those new-fangled SS amps I could understand, but a cheap Ameritron amp.  Come on now!
AD5ZC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »

Now wait just a minute.  You have an extra class license and you can't repair that amplifier by yourself?  If you had one of those new-fangled SS amps I could understand, but a cheap Ameritron amp.  Come on now!

Way to troll.  Even in "the old days" extra class hams sent their tube amps in for repairs.
Take N4ATS example and offer some help.
Bad show old chap.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 07:37:15 PM »

Maybe he has bad eyesight and a shaky hand and does not wnat to risk getting around HV. But to state what you did W4VR is just down right mean. You should keep comments like that to yourself and try to be an Elmer and not a Fudd
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 03:38:36 AM »

WY0Q, I understand your concern about working around HV power supplies. And for some of us, we would pop the lid off and order new caps. Get the Jesus stick out and replace. MANY Ham ops are not at all familiar with HV power supplies. MANY QST articles get shot down or criticized because of a HV power supply in the project and the writer is explaining how to build or troubleshoot it. You only touch 3,000 volts once!!!
But let's think here. What if he replaces the caps and it still does this popping. Seems like a 90% chance the caps are the fix. But what if?? Then the amp has to powered up by someone who is very knowledgeable about the dangers of HV to start looking for the problem.
Y0Q please call Ameritron and have your amp packed according their instructions and get it repaired.
Or work out an arrangement with N4ATS and send it to him.
Fred
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »

think is taken wrong and folks get worried and abandon the effort of repairing their own equipment. I fix in the order of 4 to 6 amps a month in my spare time from all over the place and MOST of the amps I fix are unplugged , unpowered and 99% troubleshot with an ohm meter to locate the problem. Its VERY rare I need to power up an amp to make a measurement. Amps , especially Ameritron's , are so easy to fix and really , you don't need to work with "HV". The HV measurement can be made , cover on , with the built in meter.

The 8 "HV" caps he is talking about can be changed in less that 10 minutes , NO AC applied and if worried , just unplug the amp the day before you change them OR look at the HV meter , if its zero , chances of getting whacked are zippo.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 07:15:56 AM »

Status: Received the Ameritron Amplifier , well packed. Upon inspections found there is one hell of an arc (bang)happening , not visible in pitch darkness (not typical either) and appears to be inside the transformer. There is zero evidence pointing to a component (HV capacitor) other than a factory bad transformer so far. I have seen this before on numerous occasions. As I get deeper into it I will post results.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 02:41:46 PM »

5:38 PM

Additional info , just found

The relay in the back near the antenna connection has intermittent connection to the input trace (top side) , Depending on how slight the cabinet bends the back panel when the cover is installed results in HI SWR because the VIA is not a thruhole , just a top trace and it was NOT soldered. If I can post a picture , I will show you OR email me and I will send you the picture.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »

Oops , not sure how I deleted my previous posting

1 ) Owner heard arcing in his Ameritron (original above thread)
2 ) Owner ordered 4 new HV caps from Ameritron
3 ) Owner installed the 4 new HV caps per my instructions
4 ) Owner powered back up and heard loud arcing
5 ) Owner sent me the Ameriton
6 ) Received Amplifier at my shop
7 ) Inspected , HV caps installed correctly
8 ) Powered up , heard arcing
9 ) Removed new HV caps , 2 out of 4 were shorted.
10 ) Installed fresh date coded HV caps from Newark

Unit now has HV , solid as a rock however amp has additional problems (above post)

So far.....
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »

Bill --

So, in summary .... MFJ/Ameritron shipped bad replacement parts (2 out of 4) and
Poor assembly / workmanship (failed to solder connection) at antenna relay.

Maybe Ameritron/MFJ should just give up and send a box of parts and a manual.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:00:16 PM by W9GB » Logged
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 04:00:03 PM »

OK, he installed 4 new caps and 2 must have blown when he turned it back on.  The you installed 4 more, but yours did not blow.  Right?  Why?  Did you do something to fix the transformer short?  I'm a little puzzled.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 04:02:02 PM »

Well , I can't answer that about the HV caps , I have seen MANY shorted upon delivery , however the solder joint , yes , it's clear the VIA did not make it thru the board , its only a top / bottom trace and was not soldered. Anyone know how to post a picture? please email me at grassa@earthlink.net and I will post it.

PS as for the transformer short , it was obviously not , however usually arcing can be seen. On this one , it was not clear.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:04:57 PM by N4ATS » Logged
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 04:54:28 PM »

It's not the first time we read about MFJ and loose hardware in a product.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: