Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to safely remove a 20' mast  (Read 1218 times)
WA6GUZ

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:40:57 PM »

My neighbor has a 20' TV mast on her roof with a Yagi TV antenna, which she no longer uses.  She asked me if I could remove the antenna because one of the top guy wires broke because of the high winds we have here and not to mention that they are pretty much rusted.  Is there a safe way to bring down this mast by myself without causing any damage to her roof or for that matter, myself?  The mast is mounted on a small triangular roof mount that appears to have a bolt through the base of the mast and mounted near the peak of the roof. 
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 06:42:48 PM »

Depends on if you want to save and reuse any part of it, whatever the need it's a two man job.
bob
WA6GUZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 07:10:14 PM »

Thanks N4JTE.  I figured I couldn't do it myself, but I thought I'd ask in case there was a way to do it myself.  Wasn't to keen on the idea anyway.  Thanks.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:48:28 AM »

There is a way to do it yourself--but a second man is preferable for the safety aspect.  

If you can't get that second man--and if you can handle heavy lifting--loosen the guy wires so they will serve to stop the mast from falling, but will be loose enough to allow you to lift it out of its mount.  You may have to cut the guy wires and extend them a bit with some rope.  Then carefully lift it out and walk it along the roof while 'walking' the mast through your hands to keep it balanced  with the guy wires still attached until you can lay it down.  As you move the mast, one or two of the guy wires will serve to stop the top of the mast and the antenna from falling downward too fast.  Then you can disassemble it and remove it one piece at a time.

Although not easy, I've removed quite a few masts with TV antennas in that manner.  I've also put some up that way--but that is a time consuming, nerve racking task!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:51:28 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W5ER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:33:08 AM »

1-Make sure you get a signed and witnessed "release from liability" just in case you, the mast or the boom of the TV antenna goes through her roof or you damage the roof in any other way.

2- Check you life insurance and health care policies in case harm comes to you.

3- This is the best choice...find someone that does antenna / tower work for a living and give her the phone number.

Gud luck 73
Ed 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: