Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebays new protection policy Danger Will Robbison  (Read 3256 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2012, 02:00:06 AM »

Just noticed this update eBay added about their protection plan.

"A provision has been added that in some cases we may refund part of the cost of the item to the buyer and receive reimbursement from the seller to cover differences between the item described and the item actually received, such as small parts missing or minor repairs needed. In these cases, we will not require the buyer to return the item to the seller."

EBay has removed possible even swap reversals and given the buyer a whole lot of new power
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:20:38 PM »

I remember that show.

Ebay only seems to get worse by the year. It used to be you had to worry about the sellers but now it seems the tables have turned.

A local fellow I know just met the "buyer from hell" a week ago. This seller had a perfect 100% feedback rating for years until he sold a radio to this buyer. I looked at the buyers "feedback left for others" and 12 times out of 62 ( his total feedback ) he left negative's for sellers.....

It's at the point now that if I have something for sale on ebay I constantly look at the bidders "feedback left for others" and if I see someone who looks like a trouble maker I cancel his bid and block him forever.

It would be nice if we all had a new site to switch to en mass .....Still waiting for one.
KK4IKO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »

Don't get me started on ebay.

1.  Their feedback system is overrated and misused.

2.  There's poor communication between buyers and sellers concerning what's going on with the transaction.

I'm a buyer...I pay immediately by paypal, or if a money order is required it's in the mail within a day or two, along with an e-mail saying it's on the way.

I'm a seller...I send the item the first business day after receiving payment, and an e-mail letting the customer know it's shipped and how.  If there's a snag, so I can't ship or pay right away, the customer gets an e-mail explaining the situation asap.

I hate folks who don't have the courtesy to keep me in the loop until the transaction is completed.

We are all customers of somebody.  Do we give as good as we get?

KK4IKO
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:19:43 AM »

Sad to say but I've stopped buying and selling on ebay, period.  I haven't purchased or sold anything in years when they were at their prime.  Fees went up, policies got stricter so they lost another one.  I check Craigslist and our local swap and shop.

73 Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:31:29 PM »

Like others, I have also run down the mooring line leading from the Ebay ship.
I have been lucky, but I found it increasingly onerous and frustrating.
So, like Delwyn, I have stopped buying and selling on Ebay as well.
The local ham swap meet is now my preferred place of business.

As a small personal seller, I found the selling process meant that you where you were essentially at the mercy of the buyer.
Luckily, my buyers were all honourable, but as the sellers rights were eroded, I saw that it would only take one "buyer from hell" to bring me to the same place.
That was my cue to jump ship - you can only dodge so many bullets before one finds you.

Naturally, as a personal seller, I provided the buyer with detailed progress reports of shipping and so on, and this was generally appreciated.
From my time in business I have found that what frustrates people greatly is not knowing.
Even if the news is bad, it is better to let them know, rather than keeping them in the dark.
So communication between seller and buyer is key to an effective transaction - something many people fail to recognise.

I also understand that there are many unscrupulous sellers out there, who prey on naive buyers who need protection.
Unfortunately, the buyer protection process also exposes the small honest seller to exploitation by unscrupulous buyers.
How this is reconciled, I don't know - which is why I left.
I cannot say that I ever had a bad Ebay experience, but I was not going to wait to find one.

73 - Rob

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:48:44 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
VK5CQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 04:42:03 AM »

Yes, eBay + PayPal has recently caused me more problems than in the past:

1. I offer an item (ICOM HF/6m transceiver) on a "No Return" basis, that required a -further- restriction:

+ "PayPal is fine, PROVIDED that you -don't- pay your PayPal bills with credit card"

(It turned out, at the time, that credit card holders had a right to demand refund, after an unwanted return, that "trumped" the vendor's "No Return" policy; I think this was due to terms in the buyer's contract with their credit card provider.)

Someone from interstate won the radio & paid PayPal with a credit card. I pointed out my clearly stated restriction, but he didn't care, & filed a complaint with eBay, ie, after I refunded his payment (in full).

(I gave him the option to pay by any other mutually acceptable means, but we couldn't find any.)

2. Very recently, a Hong Kong radio vendor (that I'd had nothing but GOOD dealings with) [told me that they'd] got "burned" by a Melbourne-based security firm (see my recent post on AsiaRadioSales.com, in the same forum).

They later refunded -my- PayPal payment for a Yaesu radio, advising that I could deposit the payment into their Hong Kong bank account, if I still wanted the radio... a costly & time consuming process for those not doing it everyday.

With BOTH eBay & PayPal taking FEES, I would think that a young entrepreneur could dream-up & set into motion a single web application that provided BOTH services (auction + payment) more efficiently than the pair of companies do today.

Perhaps some simplifications to the new operator's service offering (ie, apply the KISS principle that has served Hams well over all these years) & the costs could be halved.

Perhaps it's easier to set up such a service in EACH country, rather than trying to have ONE work for the whole world. Maybe Hams could get Clubs involved, eg, by recommending "known & reliable" members... or test radios for a fee?

AU has a guy who's set up VK-Classifieds. Free to list (last time I checked), as they may get some income from site adverts.

Very strict, however, & somewhat unforgiving, it seems: One guy got permanently BANNED from listing there, because one of his items was also listed on eBay, ie, while listed For Sale on VK-Classifieds.

Oh, well, he'll fall off the perch someday (don't we all?), and maybe a young & more flexible Ham will create another site to take the place of VK-Classifieds.

(Why any Ham would want to protect the interests of eBay, like that, it is beyond me... I think eBay allows parallel listings, or did about the time of that story.

If an item sells on another playform, you'd just take it down from eBay, based on that prior sale. Businesses survive by using multiple platforms for their products.)
KD5RGJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »

Why buy from EBAY anyway? Use eham  !! EBAY doesn't let you complain about eham,qrh,qrz, etc on their site  !!
KD5RGJ
SPENCER
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »

I dumped e bay when they forced every one to use Pay-pal - E bay = SUCKS.

73 K1WJ Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: