Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gin pole needed  (Read 6047 times)
KK4JJF

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2012, 06:14:14 AM »

First post on this forum!

I'm new here, but will be a regular after I pass both the tech, and general exams on the 12th. Not one to waste time, I have already purchased a 60' Rohn 25G tower. I got a great price, but will need to take the tower down with the help of a friend that has " some" tower experience.  The owner needs the tower gone by this Saturday so time is short. I do have a few quetions.

Anywhere in North East Florida where I can rent a Gin Pole this weekend? Any Hams around Middleburg want to rent me theirs? Too late to buy one online, and as you know $$$$$$. That would cut deeply into my TS-590S funds.

How much does a section of Rohn 25 weigh?

My buddy claims all he needs is a rope, and a pulley. Has that ever been done without a death?

Thanks-
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:20:19 AM by WMACKY » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:27:46 AM »

Each 10' section weighs just under 40lbs.  If it were me, I'd want to use the proper equipment, and not jerry-rig something at 60'.  Don't forget, if that tower has been in place for a long time, you might need a tower jack to break the sections apart.
KK4JJF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 06:15:37 AM »

A new Gin pole it is then. This "cheap" tower just got less cheap. I guess i'll need one in the future anyway so what the heck. I'm going to order one today, and see if the owner will give me another week to take it down. I'll just have to postpone the radio purchase for a bit.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:23:04 AM by WMACKY » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 06:56:45 AM »

You could try Hill Radio for pricing.  They are usually vey competitive, and are nice people to do business with although I don;t know if they could get it to you in the time frame required.  I've seen just the tower leg clamp and pulley head being sold without the pole at the Dayton Hamvention.  I checked a few vendors, and can't seem to locate which one it was.  I thought it could be WB0W, but I'm not sure.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 07:37:38 AM »

Another source: http://www.texastowers.com/iix_ginpoles.htm
KK4JJF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 07:59:13 AM »

Thanks!

Anyone know if I can use 2" Elec. conduit with these clamp kits, or does it have to be harder to source 2" Aluminum tubing?
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 09:09:53 AM »

Those are the kits I've seen.  I prefer the GP-81X style.  You can use heavy wall condiut, but it weighs a ton.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »

Have a sign crane come and pick up the whole 60 foot tower and lay it on the ground. Total time would be about one hour. A sign crane will cost about $100-130 per hour. J-poling the tower with a helper will take most of the day.

On another note:

Some things to consider:

•   Power lines nearby?
•   Is the tower in good condition?
•   Is it guyed?
•   Do you have proper climbing gear? Not a old climbing belt from a flea market.
•   Have you done tower work before?
•   Properly rated ropes?
•   Fall protection gear?
•   Safety  plan if there is a problem?
•   Wind and nearby objects?

The reason I bring this up is every year hams are killed or seriously injured doing tower work they are not equipped to handle. Physical strength is needed when handling loads at height. Proper climbing equipment is needed and must be rated by OSHA under part 1910.268. Tower work resulting in death and injuries has made tower work  the most dangerous work in the world.

Unless your assistant is a seasoned tower professional, pay to have a certified tower person handle the job.

I teach tower climbing and certification and in my 40 years of climbing, rarely have I seen an accident that could not have been prevented.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 12:03:19 PM »

If you are properly belted to the section below the one you are trying to remove then you are only at about the two-foot level of the top section. It will be quite difficult to lift 40 lbs of tower section whose three legs are probably frozen into the section below it. If somehow you do get it free you'll be hard pressed to control 8-foot of tower above your head.

I don't see how a rope is going to work unless you have something above the tower to attach it to. As someone said earlier, you're probably going to need a tower-jack as well to pry the sections apart.
KK4JJF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 05:22:03 PM »

Hmmm,   I'm going to consider walking away. I guess at some point, I'm better off taking a loss on the money I paid for the tower, and just buying one that's already disassembled. That would be a huge set back this early in the game. 15 years ago, I had friends that were taking down, and putting up towers on a monthly basis. It didn't seem to be such an ordeal.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 06:59:29 PM »

It isn't always a ordeal. If you have the proper tool's and training and are proficient at what your doing it some times is fairly simple. ( some times mind you ) But what  causes a huge ordeal for a lot a folk's is when you fall off and get killed. Then it becomes a major ordeal for others. I think from what i toke of it K6AER was basically telling you that for the cost involved and the risk incurred you just be better off to have a pro do it. And with the ginploe clamp's from Texas tower costing almost $230.00  that is just the clamp's his suggestion looks pretty darn tempting.  Also i know from my experience as a mill wright i rather assemble one them un assemble a old and frozen up one.   So just give it some thought and study your options you might not be in as deep as you think... jeff
HS0ZJU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 04:32:58 AM »

Now of course this is not the usa....Making a gin pole is a piece of cake....We use 2" galv water pipe........it can be made in less then a hour if you want some pics email via my qrz webpage
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 05:21:21 AM »

On calm days, I've always used an 18' 2x4 for those 10'/40 lb 25G sections.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
KK4JJF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 06:22:57 AM »

On calm days, I've always used an 18' 2x4 for those 10'/40 lb 25G sections.

I had already give that some thought. Perhaps a 12 footer with U bolts to attach to the tower rail, and an Eyebolt up top for a pulley. My concern would be the ability of the 2X4 to carry the 40lbs. One thought is to attach ans additional 2x4 to the side of the original one to stiffen it like L channel.

Has anyone else tried the 2x4 method?

I'd still buy a Gin pole for raising the tower, and future maintenance. Buit I can't get it here by tomorrow. My help may not be available next week!

KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 06:50:11 AM »

You paid for the tower BEFORE it was taken down? 

Consider that almost all tasks look easier than they turn out to be.  Putting up a new tower
is easier than taking down an old rusted one.  Also when you get the old tower down:
THEN you find all the hidden rusted places and hardware that needs to be replaced.
A new tower would have been cheaper in the  long run and a lot safer.
We've all been bitten one time or another.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, you can't be TOO careful.
Allen
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: