Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TIMONIUM 2012...  (Read 7526 times)
K2LGO

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2012, 04:55:13 AM »

Can anyone comment on Timonium this year Huh??
KF2IB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:14:23 AM »

I paid 9.00 to look at mostly dollar store items. ...There was some of nice equipment for sale, & I picked up a Hallicrafters R-46 speaker for 60.00. ..They should just have radio & computer related stuff there. I would never pay 9.00 to get into my local flea market & or dollar store, , & I won't do it again to go to a hamfest almost 3 hrs. away. Gas & tolls are too much to afford for a poor guy like me!

New call sign: WA2CB
N3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:58:04 AM »

I do not understand why you complain about $9 for a show that has over 500 vendor spaces. I see people lay down $5 and $6 for places with less that 50 spaces and do not say a word about it. Hams are cheap and want everything for nothing. Well, this is suppose to be a fund raiser for the club that puts on the show.

Also, i see people lay down $9 for Richmond with less vendor area, I see thousands lay out $20 for Dayton and come from around the world. It is time for those that want it $4 to wake up and smell the roses. It is not the 1960's anymore. The price increase for Timonium was the first except for one year since 1998. That is right 14 years. What was the price of gas back then?

Anyway enough is enough, I for one have officially retired from running Timonium after 33 years. Maybe some of the complainers will step up and see just what it takes to run a hamfest.

Bill, N3WD
KF2IB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »

It's just me! Sorry to rub you the wrong way! I'm too cheap to drive 6 hours & pay 9.00 to look at socks, (men's) underwear, blinky lights, Home made jelly, dishes, & some ham equipment, all in the Cow Palace, with no tail gating or the other buildings with major vendors, & I use to pay way less than 9 bucks. Some people are wealthy, & I'm just a miserable poor person. Personally, I had a better experience visiting my local Goodwill store! ...Sorry but I won't go to Timmonium anymore. But that's just me. I wish you all of great success there! Cry
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:38:50 PM by KF2IB » Logged

K2LGO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:40:02 PM »

In regard to my original post about comments about TIMONIUM for 2012, let me expound on my interest...I have attended
K2LGO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 04:56:23 PM »

In regard to my original post about comments about TIMONIUM for 2012, let me expound on my interest...I have attended the fest for 5 years in a row, and it is in my estimation one of the best on the east coast...that being said, I am also a casual seller, and I do prefer the outdoor venue, and for that reason I did not attend this year....But Bill, N3WD was kind enough in a correspondence to make me aware of the financial realities of running such an event...
Sorry to see you retiring Bill, but I do believe you have done your part...Thank you, to you and Robin and all the others who have made the TIMONIUM affair so great....BOB
N3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »

Bob,

Thank you for the kind words. Thirty three years is long enough for one individual. I will still be around the show for now as I am still the treasurer of BARC. Like I said before we know we were lacking in big time commercial vendors, but it was not from lack of trying on the hamfest committee's part. All I can say is it will take more hams voicing their displeasure that companies like MFJ, HRO, etc did not come this year.

As far as the outdoor tailgating is concerned. To have outdoor tailgating you have to rent the entire fairgrounds to have control of the parking lots like the midway etc. The previous two years we rented the buildings to a cost of $14,000 dollars. So a little math here. We half fill the Exhibition Hall and make $5,000 in table reservations and that also leaves more empty space in the Cow Palace. We then sell 175 outdoor tickets at $20 each which included admission of $6 so really it is only $14, but we will go with the $20, 175 X20 equals $3,500 so we get $8,500 back in revenue and it costs us $14,000. We are at a $5,500 loss just to have tailgating.

Now lets go a step further. The past two years 2009 and 2010 we kept with two building two days and $6 a day in hopes that more people would attend the show. We lost over $5,000 in each of those years or over $10,000. This is supposed to be a fund raiser not a money pit. We also those two years sold at the gate on Sunday less that 250 tickets. We have looked at other venues in the Baltimore metro area and NONE of them that have the requirements, a building at close to the size of the Cow Palace, in the metro area with hotels/motels close to the facility. The one place is the convention center downtown and there would be NO tailgating there and it is more expensive.

We also looked at the fact that with the number of spaces we usually sell in the Exhibition Hall would fit nicely into the center section of the Cow Palace. Also the people that were in the center section would fit in the south section of the Cow Palace and there would be enough room to hold the overflow from combining the outdoor tailgate and the basic indoor space. We also this year did a sit down brain storming session to figure out exactly how much each of the three selling are spaces cost us. Believe me we are not making money on the spaces. If memory serves me correctly we make 32 cents above cost on the Basic Indoor space, a whopping $1.56 on the Indoor Flea market and $3.89 on the Commercial space. Please remember that this does not take into account costs for things like mailings, advertising, supplies, ticket printing, paper, toner, door prizes, food for our volunteers etc.

All I can say to some people is if you have never put on a hamfest of any size then before you condemn a show get to know what it takes to actually put on a show of this magnitude. I tried to keep track of how many hours I put into the show last year and lost count after 2,000. Think about that with also working for a living full time. I try to go to as many hamfests as I can small, large and in between and not always to shop. Anyone that knows me knows I spend a few bucks here and there at the vendors that support these shows on a regular basis. I mainly go to be able to talk and see fellow hams and to SUPPORT the organization that put on the show.

The more people lose sight of the fact that these events are fund raisers for the sponsoring organization the more and more not only hamfests will die BUT the clubs and organizations behind these events will also die.

Bill, N3WD
KK4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 02:36:46 PM »

I attended. This was my first bona-fide hamfest, but I've been to similar venues for other hobby pursuits of mine. All in all I'd give it a B+ (no, you tubers, the GRADE! I'm not talking about plate circuits!).

While much of the general merchandise did not interest me in comparison to the ham gear, it was a completely different story for my girlfriend, who also attended. I got a hamstick dipole,  some power pole stuff, some other odds and ends, and she got some socks and an embroidered totebag.  We both declared victory at the end of the day.

The only constructive critique I could offer would be to have a map available online or in the flyer that shows the relationiship between the Cow Palace and the location exams take place in. Had I known testing wasn't within visual contact of the hamfest site, I coud have planned a little better and my girlfriend might have her Tech license now. Smiley

All in all we still had fun, and while not testing was a little dissapointing for her, she's now more prepared.

KK4AMP
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 06:38:24 AM »

I've been coming to the show for most of the past 15 years. The outdoor flea market used to cover the entire midway- and then some. For the past few years it has been used for parking.

I purposely stayed away from the 2012 show, not knowing what to make of it. IMO it was best for me to give it a break for a year and see how things shake out.

I sympathise with Bill N3WD. From what I read, the Hamboree and the Baltimore group are caught between a rock and a hard place. This is truly unfortunate.

Viewed from this attendee's perspective, the desire is lessened by the higher price and the perception of receiving less for the admission fee. From a marketing perspective, and not that I am some expert, it is difficult to take things away that people had become accustomed to.

We are in a time of hardship and our nation is in decline as a world economic power. I do a lot of shopping and items are either missing from the shelves or have been dropped from distribution. I cannot buy what is not there.

I have attended MANY hamfests over the past 20+ years. I can't save even the smallest event by myself. It takes numbers. Everything has a lifecycle. Hamfests are, for the most part, on the downgrade. I wish it wasn't so.

I wish the BARC and the Hamboree every future success. I hope there is a breakthrough, either with the MD State Fairgrounds committee or with a suitable venue, so this event can be a large, self-sustaining fundraiser for the club.

KF2IB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 08:19:16 AM »

"I do not understand why you complain about $9 for a show that has over 500 vendor spaces."

RE: N3WD. The reason I complained was that you were giving me LESS, & asking me to pay MORE! ... I just sold my drive-in theatre business, because people don't come as often as they did. We charged 7.00 for adults & 3.00 for kids 12 & under for a first run, double feature! ...If anyone spent at least 25.00 on concessions, they got a FREE carload pass! We sold .99 cent hotdogs at all times, & made fresh pizza dough daily. We did not have to restrict oustside food being brought in, because ours was better & cheaper than local take out restaurants! We were in north central PA, & folks just counldn't afford it as often. 35 mm film is now being phased out so it was time to move on.

Many hamfests, have moved on. Some are in denial. It may be just me, but I avoid events that give me less bang for my buck! I have attended your hamfest for decades! You can check my old call signs KB2KDM, KF2IB, now WA2CB. Thank you & 73.

N3WD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 02:20:19 PM »

While I understand the perception is less your getting less well the number of days are less.  However we only sold 248 tickets at the gate Sunday in 2011. With all the empty space in both buildings we could very easily put everyone who attended as a vendor in 2011 in the Cow palace and still have room.

Heck now a days everything is LESS for you same dollar. Look closely, what was 24 packs of soda are now 20 packs for the same price, just as one example.

The club that puts on Timonium lost over $10,000 dollars on the 2010 and 2011 combined. We had charged $6 since 1995 with the exception of one year. The club cannot afford that.

Also, yes the commercial vendors shyed away because of the move but those commercial vendors who were there in 2012 were very happy about the outcome.

If there is a 2013 show, it will be one building one day and $9 at the door and something less in advance. If people fail to support the hamfest then I see it going the way of Gaithersburg (bye-bye).

Bill, N3WD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: