Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mount Diablo as a 4000' Tower  (Read 3607 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2012, 07:03:51 AM »

I'm going to put my backup rig (TS-590S) and portable DX antenna (Force-2 Sigma 5) in the car and drive to nearby mountain tops that have no obstacles on the SP to 7O6T for hundreds of miles.

The only one's I have missed (3 out of 333 ATNO attempts) from my QTH are all in the exact same SP path. HFTA tells me why - so I am going to do something about it.

Use a 4000' tower!

I'll test this tonight on Grizzly Peak or Inspiration Point in Berkeley - I think one is almost at the 2000' level. Then tomorrow I put my 4000' tower up.

I will also investigate SF Bay are salt water locations. Treasure Island might be a good one.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:10:39 AM by KY6R » Logged
W6DXO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 07:16:42 AM »

Rich,

Let me know how this works!

I'm headed off to my second QTH in the Sierra foothills to try sorta the same thing.

If you need a second hand next week I might be available.

73 de harry, W6DXO
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 07:32:09 AM »

Rich,

I'm headed off to my second QTH in the Sierra foothills to try sorta the same thing.

73 de harry, W6DXO

Absolutely - it would be fun to get a motley crew of local DX-ers together and do this. Maybe we end up forming a new DX Club:

"The Diablo DX-ers"

You know what the logo would look like!

I will report back to this thread tomorrow night.

KJ6HZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 08:49:53 AM »

Rich,
While vertical antennas get some benefit from down sloping terrain (or perhaps lack of obstructions) horizontal antennas gain much more low angle radiation from the terrain.  I recommend using the Sigma 5 at the beach and an inverted V up a half wave on the mountain. 

Good luck,
John KJ6HZ
WA7KPK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:55:31 AM »

This is too funny. I used to go up onto the Rimrocks, a sandstone formation that looks out over Billings, Montana to get a little altitude. I never considered driving a couple of hours south into the Beartooth Mountains. An 11,000' tower ought to get you some DX.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:02:46 AM »

Rich,
While vertical antennas get some benefit from down sloping terrain (or perhaps lack of obstructions) horizontal antennas gain much more low angle radiation from the terrain.  I recommend using the Sigma 5 at the beach and an inverted V up a half wave on the mountain. 

Good luck,
John KJ6HZ

I can easily mount the Sigma-5 as a rotatable dipole - so I will build a mount that allows for either horizontal or vertical!

Thanks - great advice, and yes - I do remember the pictures in the ARRL Antenna Book that describe what you are saying. Thanks for reminding me.
K6OK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »

While vertical antennas get some benefit from down sloping terrain (or perhaps lack of obstructions) horizontal antennas gain much more low angle radiation from the terrain.

Yes, there's a reason Voice of America built two antenna farms in the great Central Valley of California (which, by the way, is one of the flattest large basins on earth, much flatter than the Great Plains) and not on the surrounding ridge tops.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 01:20:23 PM »

In fact, scratch Mount Diablo, I am taking the Sigma-5 as a vertical right to a beach on salt water with an unobstructed water path towards the north and northeast for at least a couple of miles - and a similar placement as the AM radio towers on the SF Bay.

As a kayaker, I know of a whole bunch of "put ins" - with launches and picnic tables right at waters edge.

I always wanted to experience a vertical at the beach!

Rich
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:22:47 PM by KY6R » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 02:42:34 PM »

Rich,

73 de harry, W6DXO

All I can do it send the sife out in the yard and have her hold up the mast to get another 6 feet.
KJ6HZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 03:55:14 PM »

>"I can easily mount the Sigma-5 as a rotatable dipole - so I will build a mount that allows for either horizontal or vertical!"

If you mount the Sigma 5 horizontally, you will need to get it up a half wave or so to get the low angles you want.  In my opinion, it is a lot easier to put wires up high in a portable situation than aluminum.  Something like a twinlead fed doublet or resonant dipole mounted to a Jackkite 31' fiberglass pole would do well for 10-20m.

Incidentally this is the trouble I see with the popular commercial portable dipoles often seen mounted on an 8' mast.  Great for NVIS  but not DX.

The beach plan sounds great. Please let us know how it goes!

John KJ6HZ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 05:26:18 PM »

I have a 31' Jackite pole - and 450 ladder line and a DX Engineering 4:1 balun that I would use - but it is so much easier to drive 15 minutes to a super secret special spot on the Berkeley Marina out in the SF Bay - with unobstructed path to 10 degrees north - which is where Yemen is from here.

I also kayak at China Camp and Tomales Bay - so could go there. Both have picnic tables at the beach.

So - I think I have a newfound interesting way to have some DX fun. And I can combine it with kayaking too (but not at the same time - hi hi).
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 10:39:05 PM »

I did something similar when I was trying to work VP6DX and I had an attic antenna at the time at our apartment/townhouse. I drove up the hill to one of the schools where we have our field day site and tossed an antenna up in the trees. I wound up working em' on 2 bands that night! Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make the QSO. Good luck, hope you work em!
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 07:05:05 AM »

Last Sept. worked /m from top of MT. Diablo, couple pages of Q's in log in 45 minutes on county hunter freqs CW & SSB. Screwdriver ant on Subaru Forrester. FT 897. Great view too.

Back in the day Mare Island Naval Shipyard had HF site just west and north of yard proper, near the Morton salt evap. ponds. Could see from Sears Point Cut Off.

Mt Diablo High, Concord, alumni. HI HI

Jack KC7YE, Mukilteo WA
W6DXO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 07:31:37 AM »

I have always liked operating from Mt. Diablo.

I usually commandeer one of the picnic tables at the parking area near the "Navy Tower" site.

The rangers are always very supportive.

73 de harry, W6DXO
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 01:41:36 AM »

If you are portable how does it work when it comes to DXCC and LOTW Huh
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: