Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 Meter FM Dead?  (Read 6362 times)
KE4VVF

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2012, 07:45:22 PM »

Used to hear lots of local activity and DX on 6 meter FM back in the mid to late 90's.  It was normal to talk to Canada and Florida from N. Carolina during band openings. 

Is 6 meter FM dead? Rarely hear anyone but a few diehard locals on these frequencies.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »

Been on the low side of the 11 solar cycle.  It is coming back.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 05:51:11 AM »

Six meters is open a whole lot more than most of us think.  In the past couple of weeks I have talked to Texas, Virginia, Florida, and Canada on my 6 meter repeater (53.210 located in central SC).  The problem is that relatively few HAMs monitor 6 meters when compared to the number of HAMs who are on 2 meters.

Dick  AD4U
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:42:51 PM »

Six meters is open a whole lot more than most of us think.  In the past couple of weeks I have talked to Texas, Virginia, Florida, and Canada on my 6 meter repeater (53.210 located in central SC).  The problem is that relatively few HAMs monitor 6 meters when compared to the number of HAMs who are on 2 meters.

Dick  AD4U

Yea, 6 is certainly open.  I've been talking to Florida, Texas and even Cuba on USB for the last few days around supper time.  6 meter FM seems to have been abandoned though.  In the "old" days 52.525 would have a hundred folk on it during even the smallest opening.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »

Give me time to all the antennas replaced and I will be monitoring the fm call channel again.
W2TKW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 07:18:27 AM »

I have a FT-8900 and figured I'd see what 6m mobile is like.  I have a dual antenna system, a Comet SB-14 for 6/2/.70 and a Hustler resonator for 10m.  I have done OK with this setup, much better than I could do when I had a CR-8900 antenna.   I have been monitoring 52.525 FM lately and all I have been getting is static bursts.  It is quite similar to picking up a distant 2m repeater; static with moments of clarity.  It is just not good enough for a QSO.  I am hoping that things will get better toward June, although if they don't it will be time for more work on my antenna system.

KX0Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:31:25 PM »

If the SB14 is as good as my Diamond CR627B then it should work very well..   I haven't figured out what I want to do for 10m yet..
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 06:41:38 AM »

We have a net on 6M FM in the Durham, NC area - other than that, I try to get my call out there just to see Cheesy
KK4BNO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 03:03:28 AM »

I only have an HT but I am dying to try it on 6. I just never hear anyone. I am in VA, some of you are relatively close. We could try and bring that 6m FM back and make a sked or two.

It is rather interesting how some things like this band are only popular for a certain time frame then it fades out and it is hardly used. I can only wager a guess but with the computer and the internet getting more popular at the time,  digi modes might have been more interesting and the 6m FMers went to seek out soundcard interfaces.  Huh Tongue
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 06:04:55 AM »

A bit off the discussion, but last field day, six was open from southern New England.  As a matter of fact, that was the busiest station for our club.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »

I only have an HT but I am dying to try it on 6. I just never hear anyone. I am in VA, some of you are relatively close.

6 is a tough "HT band", unless you have a decent antenna up Smiley

The VX-5R's stock antenna was basically a rubberized dummy load. Would have rather had 220, which Yaesu added in later models :-p
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: