Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10-15-20 Yagi for the roof?  (Read 7121 times)
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 02:53:32 AM »

The Hex-beam will run circles around the MA5B form Cushcraft. The Hex uses full size element and has gain on all bands from 20 to 6 meters. Remember, the MA5B only has 1 element for the WARC bands.
I'm in the process of replacing my TH2-MK3 from Hy-Gain for a G3TXQ Hex-beam.
Hex pro's:
- No need for a heavy duty tower
- A light rotator will suffice
- Light wind load
- Symmetrical antenna (wind has less "grip" on the antenna)
- Full size elements (no lossy traps)
- Verry small turning radius (10.6')

Some links:
http://g3txq-hexbeam.com/
http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=4856&PLID=305&SecID=154&DeptID=49&PartNo=DXE-HEXX-5TAP-2

Good luck and have fun choosing your antenna!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:56:40 AM by PD2R » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 04:40:17 AM »

Remember, the MA5B only has 1 element for the WARC bands.

This is true and the reason why I upgraded to another beam. On 17 mtrs and 12 mtrs the MA5B is only a rotatable dipole. I can tell you that it is directional, like any dipole. Of course you can rotate the MA5B unlike a dipole in the trees.

When I bought my Ma5B, they were $300 brand new, - this was about 2005. Since then they have gone up to around $500 making them not such a good value.

The Hex beam/Spider Beams are a good choice. They are ugly tho and and if you have ice storms they might not be such a good choice.

Stan K9IUQ
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 05:40:06 AM »

Hex and Spider beams is not similar antennas. Spiderbeam is much larger and less sturdy. It does have 3 elements on 20 and 15 with even 4 elements on 10 meters. The Spiderbeam is a great portable antenna. We can put ours together in about 30 minutes, it doesn't need a big tower and performs really well. We use it every year during field day and the IOTA contest from EU-146.

As for the ice storms, i really believe that this shouldn't be a big problem for a well build Hex: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hex-beam/message/10140
You can find more stories of hex beams surviving ice storm so unless you build it with bamboo rods and fishing line, I think you will be fine.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 08:35:31 AM »

It's great how these conversations evolve as I was looking at the crushcraft specs and came to the conclusion that a Hex was going to be the way to go. 

That said, anyone running the one from DX Engineering?  This might work on my chimney.

PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »

I worked VE7NH a couple of weeks ago when I was in Denmark. Het mentioned he was using the Hex beam from DX engineering. He pointend out the DX engineering uses en very good centre hub for there beams which is a lot stronger then most others centre hubs.

Furthermore, the reviews it gets here on eHam look pretty convincing as well, even if you take them with a grain of salt.
NJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 04:24:13 AM »

Mosley TA33jr on the roof is the way to go I'm my opinion.  As to engineering evals and cranes go it that may be a consideration in your case, but not a absolute.  If you would like to see what it takes to execute a build, refurbish and install of a tribander on a roof check out my photo page that captures all aspects from idea to completion.  The results have been great and I'd do it again.

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/dad250/Mosley%20Beam%20Antenna%20Project/?albumview=slideshow

Questions, send me a pm
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 07:08:15 AM »

The Hex-beam will run circles around the MA5B form Cushcraft. The Hex uses full size element and has gain on all bands from 20 to 6 meters. Remember, the MA5B only has 1 element for the WARC bands.
I'm in the process of replacing my TH2-MK3 from Hy-Gain for a G3TXQ Hex-beam.
Hex pro's:
- No need for a heavy duty tower
- A light rotator will suffice
- Light wind load
- Symmetrical antenna (wind has less "grip" on the antenna)
- Full size elements (no lossy traps)
- Verry small turning radius (10.6')
... Good luck and have fun choosing your antenna!

Maarten,  You point out valid points for the Hex's positive attributes, but one point needs rectification:  today's HF traps whether employed in Mosley, HyGain or even Cushcraft beams or the units individually made by Unadilla are far from "lossy".  Yes, there is some loss (especially if the trap's resonant frequency is close to your desired operating frequency), but it is really negligible (small fractions of a db).  Classifying traps as lossy devices, IMHO, has become a marketing tool (for manufactures who don't use them) and one of today's more common antenna myths.  Tom, W8JI conducted numerous tests on various kinds of traps used in the HF spectrum and provides factual/empirical evidence to backup his research.  See his site at http://www.w8ji.com/traps.htm.  It has changed the way that I view trap antennas.  73, Rich, K3VAT
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 07:40:40 AM »

Rich,

I stand corrected. Thank you for the interesting information, I learned something new today  Wink

73, Maarten PD2R
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 02:55:04 PM »

So it will be a k4kio hex on a roof tripod, Yaesu 450A rotar.

Got the wifes blessing to clutter our roof, so over the next month it will get done.

Thanks again to all for your help here!

NJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »

Good choice is always one that makes the YL and the OM both happy !

Please photograph the install and post to photobucket site for others to learn and enjoy !

Be Safe and Good Luck
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 03:31:47 AM »

I don't think you will be disapointed. Have fun!
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 11:55:31 AM »

Just an update on this, this project should mostly be done by Friday.  Already seeing 2 S units in some cases over the vertical with the K4KIO antenna 10 feet off the ground.  I am seeing though that sometimes the vertical rakes in things the hex does not. Of course I do not have it rotating yet, so it will be interesting to see how a vertical behaves in contrast to a beam.

I will be keeping the vertical though, as well as the inverted V.  Will be fun to play with the diversity tuning on the flex as well once these are all up and running.

I'll provide one last update after its up, rotating and decently grounded.

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 02:09:05 PM »

The Hex is awesome!  First real QSO on it was New Zealnd this morning so I was obviously pleased!

You can follow the install story and project on my website under Articles and station updates if you want to follow along.  Eventually I'll have some pictures up in the updates article and change the name of the article to Hex Beam Oof Tower.

Thanks again for everyones help and advice!

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: