Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TR6 VS SB110  (Read 1360 times)
WB4SPT

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:59:17 AM »

I'd like to get into 6meters, likely with a dedicated, older rig.  I've got a Drake 4 line now, that I have spent some time with getting right and also making contacts on HF.  THe tr6 lets me use my AC4 power supply, a slight advantage to the drake.  But, now I hear the Heath has quite a bit better Rx sens on 6.  Any first hand advice out there?  My other issue is actually finding a good, older rig, not a lot of available rigs, apparently. 
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:47:34 AM »

I would not say the SB-110/A has a better RX than a TR-6.  I built an SB-110 new from a kit 42 years ago or so and have used many SB-110/110As over the years, and its sensitivity and selectivity are fine; but so is the TR-6, and I've owned one of those also.

The TR-6 runs a bit more power (about 150W PEP out, compared with 90-100W PEP out) and does allow (limited) AM, which the SB-110 doesn't run at all.  The TR-6 had an available external VFO to run splits (rare item, but they sold some).

I'd prefer a properly working, good-condition TR-6 to the Heath.
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 05:24:38 PM »

Thanks for those comments.  I see now a simple mod to swap the TR6 FETs for newer discretes.  That says I'm now officially looking for a TR6! Grin
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:00:26 AM »

Thanks for those comments.  I see now a simple mod to swap the TR6 FETs for newer discretes.  That says I'm now officially looking for a TR6! Grin

You could try that, although I doubt it's necessary.

The original FETs did the job well (unless something damaged them over time).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: