Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ready to go QRP...almost...ft-817 problems  (Read 7247 times)
ND1W

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2012, 06:07:49 AM »

I decided to combine my two favorite hobbies, ham radio and hiking, so after selling off some extra gear that's been accumulating I headed off to Nearfest on a quest to find an ft-817. I found a clean used one that turned on and was assured by the seller it was in perfect working order. After throwing together a 20m dipole a few days later I had no luck making any contacts so I chalked it up to band conditions. After spending a few days learning the menus and settings I tried again...no luck...after changing the meter to read power I realized it shows no power. I hooked it up to my base set-up and it shows no out-put on my meter, I then tuned my G5 to a 3-1 SWR and the SWR meter on the 817 showed no response. I then tried 2m and not only was there no measurable out-put but it won't tune past 145.999. So before I send it out or attempt replacing the pa board my self I thought throw it out here and see if anyone had other suggestions.
This is my first post on eham and I was really hoping it would be stories about working S. Africa or even S. Carolina on 5w but alas that is not the case....
Thanks in advance for ANY help!
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:16:24 AM »

I don't have that radio, and am new myself, but that doesn't sound right. Searching around shows that older ones would blow the finals. Here are some threads I found:

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~timc/e/ft817.html

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?344676-Ft-817-no-output-power

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FT817/message/58110

Good luck!

Loren
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 07:18:03 AM »

From one of the threads:

"Yep. Apparently if you left batteries in the 817 and they got low, the finals would self-oscillate and self-destruct. Replacement is supposed to be pretty straightforward -- you need a good regulated power supply and a DVM. The service manual is available online in a number of places."

Apparently there are a number of older 817s with blown finals?
ND1W

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:31:02 AM »

Thanks for your help, I was afraid that was it but was hoping there may have been something else...looks like a call to Yaesu for a new PA!!
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:01:59 AM »

Hopefully it's a quick and inexpensive fix for you!
ND1W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:46:59 AM »

Apparently the pa board is less than $50 and it looks like I can do it myself. If I can get the board quick enough then hopefully I'll be transmitting from some remote hilltop by next weekend Grin
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 10:13:33 AM »

Here's some good info: http://www.ka7oei.com/ft817_rfpa.html
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 10:31:53 AM »

I think by default, the 817 will try to use the front antenna (BNC connector) on VHF & UHF. Forgive me if you've already done this, but did you set it to use the rear antenna?

-- Tom
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 10:38:43 PM »

Sorry to hear! Stories are true by the way because I've worked the world with various antennas and setups along with locations. Never from home on a big yagi and still worked all continents, south pacific, south Atlantic all in the past year and a half.

Got my vids with awesome contacts shown on YouTube under my call sign.

I had the FT-817 and sold it to purchase a FT-817ND and love it to death. Wanna hear how you make out on the amp board.

Good Luck!
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 09:53:31 AM »

Sorry, I read too fast and missed the other problems.

-- Tom
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »

The yahoo group ,are talking about replacement for FT-817 in two years. I think it will be sooner ,because of loss of third party parts. I wouldn't buy one without a major price drop, that should give then cause, to market the new one sooner.
ND1W

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 02:57:36 PM »

Sorry to hear! Stories are true by the way because I've worked the world with various antennas and setups along with locations. Never from home on a big yagi and still worked all continents, south pacific, south Atlantic all in the past year and a half.

Got my vids with awesome contacts shown on YouTube under my call sign.

I had the FT-817 and sold it to purchase a FT-817ND and love it to death. Wanna hear how you make out on the amp board.

Good Luck!

Well I can't wait to get out and try it. Spoke with Yaesu the other day and my new PA will be here in about a week, I'll post up-dates here when it's done. I've got a feeling once it's fixed I'm gonna love this radio also. Will check out your vids!
Thanks
Mike ND1W
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 07:17:49 AM »

Of course it is too late now, but never buy a used radio from a ham without a full demonstration of all its features, receiving and transmitting. In addition to making sure the radio is fully operational, that should help you with familiarization of the controls. Taking someones word for it is like playing Russian Roulette with your money.  Cry

Further, if you don't know how to operate the radio, you may have burned up the transmitter yourself, so you don't know who to blame. That is probably what he did and then sold you the radio.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:36:35 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
ND1W

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 04:47:35 AM »

Hopefully it's a quick and inexpensive fix for you!

It was!! Finally got around to putting in the new PA board the day before field day. It took me about 1 1/2 hrs and the first contact I made with it hooked up to my G5 was Alabama!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: