Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ? on going to a non-iambic paddle  (Read 641 times)
AF4XK

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2006, 07:58:14 AM »

Hello,

I find that using a straight key bothers my elbow arm and is tiring. So I have decided to try a paddle. I just purchased a used bencher on ebay.

I thought iambic was "the way" to go but after reading
http://www.morsex.com/pubs/iambicmyth.pdf and other posts i am starting to lean toward the KISS non-iambic method and not bother with learning the 'squeeze' timing or trying to decide on mode A or B .

I realize this may be one of the many things in life where a person has to figure out what's right for them regardless of another's experience.

That being said, unless there is a convincing argument for the iambic method I think I'll try non-iambic sending, which brings me to my question.

Which type of paddle do most people prefer that send non-iambic, a SINGLE (like kent sp-1) or a DUAL lever key (like the bencher BY1)?

Note: i am not a fast sender, about 15 wpm with a goal of 20.

thanks in advance.
chuck
af4xk
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 02:00:34 PM »

Personally, I find the iambic easier to use. If you do get an iambic, you can use it either way. Just don't squeeze both paddles if you don't want the iambic feature. That'll give you the option.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 02:44:30 PM »

AA4PB's exactly right: You can use a dual-lever paddle and simply use it just like a single-lever paddle.  The Bencher works just fine for iambic or non-iambic keying, it doesn't matter.

I find iambic squeeze keying easier, myself.  It is just slightly less work, and effective only when sending certain characters, but after a while it feels very natural and now I don't like non-iambic keying much.

I set the paddle resistance very low and contact spacing very close, so "keying" means moving my thumb or middle finger of my right hand about a sixteenth of an inch and then relaxing it; the rest of the hand, including the wrist and arm, don't move at all.

Once you get used to that, you're spoiled!

WB2WIK/6
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 05:04:16 AM »

Although I don't consciously use "squeeze" or iambic techniques, I much prefer the iambic paddles, and I seem to have gravitated towards mode "B."  A few years ago, I purchased a very nice single lever paddle, and hated it-- too much motion involved.  My advice owuld be to stick with a good iambic paddle.

Chuck  NI0C
AF4XK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 04:50:05 PM »

thanks for the reply gentlemen.

i think i owe it to myself to at least experiment with the iambic squeeze method and see if it feels natural. that's why i went with a straight key to begin with, it seemed very straight forward.

since i have limited time to spend on cw, that 'natural' feel is important.

take care.
chuck
VE7BGP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 10:12:10 AM »

Hello Chuck and others concerned!
  I would go with the Iambic Paddle either the Bencher or my favorite the Vibroplex "Original" Iambic paddles. Start with no faster than your Hand Key speed perferably a couple WPM slower. Like others have said you can send non squeeze to start. When you get good at about 18 WPM without errors. Start trying a CQ using the Iambic Method. Learn amd memorize the Iambic Letters C,F,K,L,R,Q and Y and . punctuation mark you can send Iambic. Add one letter at a time. Practice off the air until you get your mistakes down. I have the Iambic and Vibrokeyer Paddles from Vibroplex and out of the 2 I prefer the Iambic. I also have 5 Bugs I have learnt the Bug last when I got my first 3 years ago. I hope that helps.
Gerry VE7BGP  
K7NHB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 01:20:13 AM »

Don't limit your options. You can get a keyer that supports ultramatic mode and you can use a dual paddle and even squeeze them and not worry about iambic timing. Iambic is a function of the keyer, not the key. Don't think a dual paddle key must be used in iambic mode. There are other choices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: