Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where would you install mount?  (Read 2113 times)
KE7MH

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2012, 01:48:27 PM »

Hey all. I'll keep it simple. New to mobile, want to install an NMO mount for 2M/440 in the Blazer. My question is, where would you install it? I've got a sunroof in the way up front, and then there are 5 ridges that run lengthwise in the back, so there's really no way to center it on the roof. Should I just off-set it one direction or another and call it good, or should I consider some other option? Thanks.

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p591/stealth71chris/DSC_5894.jpg
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 02:18:14 PM »

Offsetting from one of the ribs in the roof should be fine, as long as you don't have interference from side curtain airbags, use of the luggage rack, etc.  A lower performing alternative would be a hood seam mount, but since you're already willing to drill the hole for an NMO, I'd say use the roof.

Stephen
N5VTU
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

Hi. I had a similar issue on a Ford Expedition. The roof was flat underneath the "rib", which was a rubber strip glued to the flat roof. I removed a 1 inch piece of the rib right in the middle of the roof and drilled. NMO mount was right in the middle of the rib, dead center on the roof. If your Blazer is the same, it may work for you too.

Good luck.
KE7MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »

That's a possibility, I'll have to look a little further to see if I could do that. Its hard to see in the photo, but those ridges are stamped into the steel, and then there are black rubber strips on the ridges. So I'll have to take a closer look to see if I can get an NMO in there or not. Otherwise, I think just offsetting it a few inches to one side or another will probably be the best I'll be able to do.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 07:43:53 PM »

Of course rather than disrupt the symmetry of the vehicle, you can always mount two antennas equidistant from the center.  Then you're ready for that 2nd band or radio right away.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KE7MH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 08:09:07 PM »

Of course rather than disrupt the symmetry of the vehicle, you can always mount two antennas equidistant from the center.  Then you're ready for that 2nd band or radio right away.

Well now we're getting somewhere. I never thought of that.  Grin
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 06:45:36 AM »

Have you looked in front of the sunroof? There might be room between the sunroof and the windshield for a single mount. But, if you're already up there drilling holes, put two up there, install two NMO mounts and cap the one you're not using, at the moment.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »

Your Blazer was a popular vehicle for commercial and service applications although they were probably built without a sunroof.  I imagine there is a location specifically for antenna mounting. On two of my Chevrolet vehicles, a truck and SUV, an oval cutout was provided in a strengthing rib just above the dome light for an NMO mount.  I had to pull not only the lens off, but the fixture itself in order to see it and access it.  That would be the first place I'd check.
KE7MH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »

I'll have a look. Maybe I can pull the headliner down just far enough to take a look up there to see what I'm dealing with. Appreciate all the responses, thanks for the ideas and suggestions. Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: