Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do I find action on 10 meters?  (Read 3509 times)
KJ6TSX

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:39:06 PM »

I been cruising around 10 meter and wonder what the most popular frequencies are?
 Does not seem to be a lot going on on 10 meters
Thanks
George
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 07:58:59 PM »

When the band is open, USB Voice from 28.3 to 28.5.
Also PSK31 on 28.120 USB and CW in lower portion of the band (along with the illegal 11M Mexicans).
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 09:31:53 PM »

Remember that 10M is mainly a daytime band. There really is a lot of activity on 10 meters these days and it doesn't require a big antenna and a lot of power. In the early afternoon you're likely to hear Brazil, Argentina and Chile here in the San Francisco area. You're also likely to hear Australia and New Zealand. My main 10 meter antenna is basically a "wire on a stick" and yet I manage to work a lot of DX.

Check the DX cluster and see if you can hear the people being spotted by hams in California.
http://www.dxsummit.fi/CustomFilter.aspx?customCount=50&customRange=28

Dave, N6ORB
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:01:05 AM »

George, one other bit of advice:  Even if the band sounds dead and you aren't hearing anything, settle somewhere, 28350-28400, ask if the frequency is in use, and then call CQ a few times.  Sometimes there are a dozen people just listening and nobody calling--it never hurts to give it a try!  73 GL!
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:30:00 AM »

I had the same question last summer; the band is just not very open these days.  Last Oct-Nov it suddenly opened up in time for the ARRL Sweepstakes and you could work the world.

Get the gadget here: http://www.hamqsl.com/solar.html and keep an eye on any progress.

Sam
W9KDX
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 04:49:05 AM »

During the 1958 suspot maximum, on a number of occasions, 10 was open for 24 hours.

Happy days! Nearly all AM and CW then, too.  Very little SSB and not much RTTY.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 06:12:24 AM »

Since they gave Techs USB privledges between 28.3---28.5 Mhz, most activity is there.  And the band has not been at it's best lately.  However, you can usually find some activity if you try. 
And you can expect the activity to pick up real soon!  A small beam is a great asset and an easy build... so start planning that new antenna project!
73s.

-Mike.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »

Put a CB in the shack.  Listen on 19.  When you start hearing conversations from strange locations turn on the 10m and give it a try.
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 07:58:07 AM »

I have worked more DX on 6 than I have on 10 lately. 6 has been open with sporadic E openings in some part of the country every day in the last week or so. I have worked Cuba, Mexico, PR, Brazil, Canada and a couple of more. 10 is not very good right now.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 08:20:59 AM »

10 meters has been all but dead. Even during the 10-10 contest, there was hardly anything on the band. I did hear a couple of very weak beacons to the SW a couple of days ago, around 28.3.

Right now, it's 10:15AM local time, and DX Sherlock shows only two stations on 10 in all of North and South America.
http://www.vhfdx.info/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=28&ML=M&Map=W2L&DXC=N&HF=S&GL=N&mycall=&myloc=&freq=&prop=

I suspect that will change soon.

WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »

With DX sherlock you need to be aware that most of the 10 meter postings lately are WSPR which is weak signal digital mode that is capable of receiving 10 db or lower below the  MDS sensitivity threshold of a typical SSB/CW receiver.

Typically when you see postings on DX sherlock with frequencies that are below 28.3MHz then you also need to look at the comment section on the far right of the screen and you will see that most listings are for WSPR and this is a good indicator that conditions aren't sufficient to support SSB or CW.

I second the 6 meters, it has been much better than 10 meters has with Aurora openings in the northern tier states and a lot of E openings all over North America.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 09:13:49 AM »

George, one other bit of advice: when people say ten is dead, when you tune across and don't hear anything:  LISTEN.  Listen carefully, tuning slowly.  Call CQ a few times in a few different places.

A month ago the little "solar data/propagation" summary you see on the web predicted conditions for 10 and 12 as "poor" for both night and day.  Here on the east coast, I tuned across 10 meters and didn't hear anything at first.  But I spent a few minutes listening carefully, and worked VK and ZL on a "dead"  band.   Listening carefully and calling CQ are good ideas even when people are complaining about how dead a band is.  :-)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 09:22:13 AM »

In the last hour, there's been 34 spots on DX Summit. People working from Eu to south America, Yemen there a lot....

DX Summit is worth looking at.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 10:45:20 AM »

Put a CB in the shack.  Listen on 19.  When you start hearing conversations from strange locations turn on the 10m and give it a try.

This is great advice (which I often forget even though I can listen on CB on my Icom IC-765). CB is probably a much better 10 meter propagation condition indicator than anything else except for 10 meter beacons.

When you hear stations on CB, go up and call CQ on 10 meters, and don't give up after one or two CQs.

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »

Ten meters (and CB) is open right now.

Trouble is, there's more illegal non-ham AM activity on 10 presently than there are hams. :-)

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: