Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dumb question  (Read 2038 times)
VA3KBC

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2012, 06:41:45 AM »

Hidee ho everyone.
I have been notcing that my wifes touch lamp has been on when I come out of the shack.
Seems when ever I'm  on the air it lights up Smiley with out touching it.

I realise whats happening  (RF) but was wondering if anyone has put up a string of lights on their antenna? Ihave an OCF80 and live out in the country. Thought it would be an attention getter at night if it could be lite up when I was on the air.

VA3KBC
Don
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 06:45:49 AM »

A florescent tube will light up when brought near an antenna while transmitting.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 06:46:30 AM »

Hidee ho everyone.  I have been notcing that my wifes touch lamp has been on when I come out of the shack.  Seems when ever I'm  on the air it lights up Smiley with out touching it.  VA3KBC Don

Recommend that you first handle (or at least lessen) your RFI problem(s).  If you're getting into the electrical touch lamp, then you're getting into other locations (maybe neighbors) and your transmit signal may also suffer.  73, Rich, K3VAT
VA3KBC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »

I'm pretty sure I have no RFI problems. I have the radio grounded and the antenna is over 100 feet away on the other side of the shack.
Pictures are on eham VA3KBC.

I've asked the neighbours and they didn't even know I had a Ham rig.
Nothing else in the house is affected, tv, radio, etc. Just the touch lamp.
This lamp is very sensitive. Even when I call from the shop on the intercom it comes on.
The house is 150 feet away.
Thanks for the concern just the same.

VA3KBC
Don
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:19:50 AM by VA3KBC » Logged
KD0UN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »

My wife and I both have touch lamps at the bedside.   I installed (plug/plug) and plug in strip to control both.  When I am on the air, I turn them off.   Otherwise they cycle in random ways.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »

Hidee ho everyone.
I have been notcing that my wifes touch lamp has been on when I come out of the shack.
Seems when ever I'm  on the air it lights up Smiley with out touching it.

I realise whats happening  (RF) but was wondering if anyone has put up a string of lights on their antenna? Ihave an OCF80 and live out in the country. Thought it would be an attention getter at night if it could be lite up when I was on the air.

VA3KBC
Don

I thought about doing the same thing using several strings Christmas tree lights.  Just thought about hanging the string below the dipole w/ tie wraps.  Yes I know it will change the VSWR, but it would be cool!  Shocked Might work better w/ an old tube rig and maybe ladder line fed antenna.  Huh

73 de Rick wn2c
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »

"I've asked the neighbours and they didn't even know I had a Ham rig."

Well, EVERYONE will know once you light up your OCF antenna with a string of lights!  Cheesy

Terry, WØFM

(I've had a touchlamp built into my entertainment center for 15 years and it's always lit after I operate HF.  I simply turn it off when I come up from the shack).
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »

Here is a link from the ARRL about touch lamps turning themselves on.

http://www.arrl.org/hints-and-kinks

Fred
KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 03:30:06 PM »

Touch lamps seem to be notorious for picking up RF.  I wasted quite a bit of time messing around with ferrites and relocating our touch lamp to different parts of the house without success.  I think its susceptibility to RF is just inherent to the design.

I actually liked when I transmitted CW using the computer--I'd set up a somewhat lengthy test transmission at about 10 wpm and then go into the other room where it was and watch it cycle like it was possessed!

Mike
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »

First there is no such thing as a dumb question. The dumbest one is the one not asked. I agree with the answers given in this forum. I had one that was so sensitive that it would come on at all different times without any transmissions or being touched. The wife thought we had ghosts. I Finally had to remove it.

73s

K2OWK
VE1PEW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 05:40:39 PM »

They still make touch lamps? Huh

Insanity is hereditary.....you get it from your children.

VE1PEW - Licensed amateur since February 2011...a work in progress
KK4IKO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 06:21:06 PM »

Has anyone actually measured how much RF from their antennas is present in the ham shack or other rooms while transmitting at different power levels, or are we assuming they're at, or below known safe levels?  Just wondering...

KJ4WS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 09:08:01 AM »

Several years ago while working 75 meters in the early morning hours, my room mate came to the door with a shotgun in his hands.When I ask him what was wrong,he told me that there was a Ghost in his bedroom. He told me that his Touch Lamp was going Crazy and that his bedside radio was talking to him but, he couldn't understand what it was saying. This poor fellow was Scared out of his wits. Well, RF was not only doing a number on his Touch Lamp. The cheap little bedside Clock Radio was a victim of RF overload. The funny part of this story is that this guy was 6'6" tall and 270 pounds. To my belief he was scared of no man or beast on earth but, that Touch Lamp and little bitty radio had him ready to leave town.
VA3KBC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »

Several years ago while working 75 meters in the early morning hours, my room mate came to the door with a shotgun in his hands.When I ask him what was wrong,he told me that there was a Ghost in his bedroom. He told me that his Touch Lamp was going Crazy and that his bedside radio was talking to him but, he couldn't understand what it was saying. This poor fellow was Scared out of his wits. Well, RF was not only doing a number on his Touch Lamp. The cheap little bedside Clock Radio was a victim of RF overload. The funny part of this story is that this guy was 6'6" tall and 270 pounds. To my belief he was scared of no man or beast on earth but, that Touch Lamp and little bitty radio had him ready to leave town.

Grin Grin Grin NOW THAT'S FUNNY!!!

VA3KBC
Don
WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 11:17:24 AM »

As a 14 year ham in 1967, I used to hang (horizontally) a long florescent tube light on my long wire antenna. I would work CW at night and spook the neighbors with all the flashing. lol

dave Smiley

First, make it work, then make it pretty.
Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

Moderate Spock: "Live for a reasonable amount of time and scrape by."
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: