Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needle has stuck to the right several times lately (see explanation)  (Read 1725 times)
AG5T

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2012, 03:26:34 PM »

I have been transmitting either ssb or cw and the needle on my Yaesu 747 meter will swing all the way to right and stick. I have to turn the radio off and retune. This has happened on several bands. Could I have an rf loop somewhere in the shack or some type of spur causing this? What test equipment should I use?
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »

Some meters will stick due to static on plastic front.  Clean with water?
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »

Can you tap the meter face to make the needle drop back to the resting position?

Needle sticking can be caused by static on the meter face, dirt in the armature or dirt on the right peg. 

I would hesitate to over think this problem before checking out the more simple options first.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »

If the needle goes to max and sticks while you're transmitting, it could indicate you've got RF feedback. Do you have other indications of RF in the shack? Are all your coax jumpers solidly connected? How far is the antenna from your rig ? If it happens on CW, is the cord to your paddles shielded ? Does it happen on CW with the Mike disconnected ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: