Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what's the special sauce for ft-890 encoder shaft?  (Read 1061 times)
KD0REQ

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:16:32 AM »

bought a used ft-890, frozen main tuning knob.  a little research shows that the supergluelube they used in the rotary encoder shaft seizes up and can be kicked loose with some trickles of oil.

that's not how it's happening for me.  after alcohol, GooGone solvent, and SuperLube synthetic oil failed to kick it free, I used a little persuasion by clamping a 6-inch ViceGrip on to the shaft, and giving it a little push.

but I can't get free rotation on the shaft/knob, everything yields a hard turning encoder.  somebody has to have figured out the secret to getting this thing spinning free.  what is it?

thanks
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:24:34 PM »

I use a very tiny amount of paraffin-free oil (Sewing Machine Oil) applied at the shaft right where it enters the ring.  And TIME.  Let the oil penetrate for up to two days if necessary. 

If still no joy, perhaps there is more wrong than just dried lube going on, bent shaft or other possible damage which might necessitate replacement of the control. 

Use of penetrating oil often takes time to let the good stuff do its thing, that's where most get in trouble. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: