The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, what model Hy-Gain is it?  (Read 8581 times)
KB7HFS

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »

Two years ago I purchased a Hy-Gain HF vertical antenna still packed in a box from the estate of an SK. The box it was in was not the original, nor were there instructions in it. The antenna had been assembled for a Field day in the 70's or 80's and then taken apart, brought home, and left in the attic. The antenna is still shiny new and appears to be designed for 10-40 meters.

It's design doesn't seem to match the picture of the current production units. There are four traps and all three of them are marked 57010, then a specific part number (in sequence 10, 15,20, 40) and Hy-Gain Electric- Lincoln, NE
There are three wire radiators that are fitted at the base of the unit. It appears complete but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have an idea of the model number and maybe a copy of the installation manual? I'd be glad to buy a copy$$.

Mike
KB7HFS
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 02:47:21 AM »

What you appear to have is an older model 14AVT or 18AVT.  If you have three traps, it's a 14AVT (40-10M) and if you have 4 traps you have an 18AVT (80-10M).  There's conflicting information in your post, so it's not clear which one.  Once you determine which it is, you might try calling Hy-Gain.  I can't find a manual for it either.

Don, K2DC
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 05:12:09 AM »

Mike -

Hy-Gain, during the Lincoln, NE period,
used the 57010 number on traps for their verticals, beams, and Log-Periodics.

IF you notice current Hy-Gain/MFJ documentation, you will see newer "87xxxx" numbers
for traps and base assembly.

Current production manual
Hy-Gain 14-AVQ Multi-band Trap Vertical Antenna
http://www.hy-gain.com/pdffiles/AV-14AVQ.pdf

1. Take an inventory of the parts that you haave.
2. IF you desire a paper manual, Bob Grinnell at Surplus Sales of Nebraska snagged
original Hy-Gain manuals and documentation (such as 14AVS, 18AVT, 18V) from eastern Nebraska sources.
His Hy-Gain manual inventory is much smaller today
http://www.surplussales.com/Manuals/man_hygain.html

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 05:18:22 AM by W9GB » Logged
KB7HFS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 10:17:29 AM »

Thank you both for your replies.  I did send an email to Hy-Gain in MS and am awaiting a reply. For now I'm laying out the antenna and making an inventory of it's parts.  I suspect it is the 14AVT. Really appreciate your help. Grin

G.M. Oswald
KB7HFS
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 10:48:48 AM »

Initially, Hy-Gain developed the 14-AV vertical antenna in late 1950s.
Hustler/Newtronics developed the 4-BTV in this same period.

In the early 1960s, that antenna evolved into the 14-AVS (73 magazine advertisement 1966).

By 1970, this design evolved into the 14-AVQ vertical antenna.
==
Here is a 2009 QRZ Thread on this older Hy-Gain AV series vertical antennas.
http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-213889.html

Those traps were known as "coffee can traps" because they were almost that big.
They were also used in the old Hy-Gain 14-AV vertical (late 1950s), the predecessor to the 14AVS.
The 14-AV used 3 traps and were known to break near the traps in high winds if they were not guyed.
Because of this the 14-AVS used only 2 traps (10 and 15 Meters) and a decoupling stub that doubled as a little reinforcement for the traps.
It really wasn't needed because the new Blue "Low Profile" traps were much stronger and had much lower wind surface area.

With the 14-AVQ they did away with the 20 Meter stub and went to a 3 trap system (for 10-40 Meters).

Al, K9XR - Tinley Park, IL
====
Here is an earlier eHam.net thread about the Hy-Gain 14-AV, 14-AVS, and 14-AVQ vertical antennas.
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=61248.0;wap2

I'm most likely the ONLY person reading this, who KNOWS what a Hy-Gain 14-AVS vertical IS!
Does yours have the "pancake style" traps?  Also called coffee can and large hockey puck.
The antenna originally came with these "pancake style" traps, BUT a Retrofit Kit was produced by Hy-Gain that supplied "In-Line" traps which were much better, and did NOT require adjustment.

Inside the "Pancake Trap" (can) there is a butterfly-capacitor, whose plate must be adjusted for proper resonance, although it's recommended NOT to move it -- if these traps are still sealed.

Your 20 meter adjustment is the OUTBOARD STUB.  This is a quarter-wavelength vertical, all on it's own -
merely adjust the length shorter, and it will resonate where it is supposed to!

The other bands are adjusted as follows:  10m FIRST, thence 15m, and finally 40m.  

MAKE SURE THAT THE COAX FITTING ON THE BOTTOM IS ELECTRICALLY TIGHT TO THE BASE!

Use the standard radial-orientation of (2) quarter-wavelength radials for each band, although I operated mine at GROUND LEVEL (very moist earth); 12" above the surface, with NO radials... like I said, the earth was very moist.

The Hy-Gain 14-AVS grew (evolved) into the Hy-Gain 14-AVQ model (High-Q traps),
but I worked a lot of DX with my silly old vertical and a SWAN 500C.

Tom, WØEAJ - Denver, CO  USA
==
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:14:13 AM by W9GB » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »

Looking thru QST, the 18-AVQ was introduced in October 1965.  It had 4 traps and a 3 element Top Hat (not base).   In the same issue the Revised 14-AVQ was introduced with similar 4 traps and 3 element top hat.  Apologies for the image, this is the best resolution available given all the transfers.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:42:22 AM by KB4QAA » Logged
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 03:39:47 PM »

Wm -

Thanks for that QST advertisement posting.  
So the "Q" versions were available for Christmas 1965 !

I know that when I started in 1970, the Hy-Gain 14-AVQ vertical was popular for Novices and new Generals,
 who did not have horizontal space for traditional dipoles.
The 18V sold well as a cheap vertical, until the owner realized that it required manual intervention (change the wire tap on coil) for multi-band usage!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:45:13 PM by W9GB » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 07:38:06 PM »

I wondered if Hy-Gain was making a run at the Gotham brothers with that model?
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »

Lots of assorted manuals for download here :

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: