The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mfj 2286 backpack antenna  (Read 11331 times)
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 10:35:57 AM »

I took one of these 17 foot MFJ whips on a trip to the Bahamas a few weeks ago.  I set it up over a temporary radial field consisting of 50 16-ft. radials made from #22 insulated wire..  It worked extremely well on 40 thru 10 meters.  I used a tapped loading coil with it on 30 and 40 meters. The whip telescoped down into a very small package and fit in my suitcase when collapsed with no problem.  It makes a great portable antenna and will perform very well with a decent radial field. 
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »

N4LPK, as a semi permanent summer cottage antenna Yeah I have done that with#12 insulated house wire serving as the 31 Ft vertical and a LDG 200 Pro auto tuner at the feed point Tuned 1/4 wave pairs of radials exiting the back of the tuner and routed outside slightly elevated and slightly sloped attached at the far ends to non conductive anchors.

The tuner was installed in the window sill and the vertical wire was attached directly (no choke/balun).plugged into the center hole of the So-239 using a Banana plug crimped and soldered to the feed end of the vertical wire antenna. The vertical wire was routed underneath the window wood frame so was serving as strain relief.

The radials were done in pairs of two per band and routed in opposite direction relative to the central feed point.
They were all brought to a central junction and then connected to a wide 1" wide copper strip that I made up for the service, it connected to the wing nut terminal on the auto tuner. The copper strip was thin and I was able to route it too under the wood frame window.

I used a wander lead to a ground rod and redirected the entire antenna system outside to the rod when expecting thunderstorms. All the equipment was unplugged from the ac outlet then disconnected from the antenna and not connected to the rod only the antenna outside.

It worked very well.

Be sure to be aware whenever the vertical is at or near a half wave length without radials it is a very high feed point impedance for the tuner to manage the pressure of heat generation within the tuner is problematic, the radials will work to alleviate that.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: