Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APRS on Droid?  (Read 6908 times)
GRANDKODIAK

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2012, 08:09:23 AM »

I downloaded APRS Viewer free on my Droid which is a rather cut up version similiar to google's APRS site. I see that there is a pay version called APRSDroid. Anyone here have experience with it? The description says it can add your location and do messaging, now, does it use the Droids phone internet connection to send messages to actual radios, or just to other software users on thier cellphones? And when you select a user on the map, does it display what frequency they are on or the lisencees name? think those would be awesome features, so you could see whos in your neighborhood and tune in and say hi!

Tech/General

no base station yet

Yaesu FT-7900r VHF/UHF
Cobra 29LX CB
Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »

I have it, sometimes use it as a check to see if I'm getting to the APRS-IS and for seeing who's around in my local area. There's some support for stand-alone beaconing using audio-output, but it's not a full replacement for a radio like the TH-d72 and a PC, at least the last time I checked out the advanced features.

I was in contact with the author for a while to see if he would be interested in developing a serial bluetooth interface to the TH-d72 and/or TM-d710, but I don't think I was able to get the interface working properly, and besides that the software would crash as soon as I tried it, so I lost interest. May have to dust off the interface and try again...

Overall, a nice program for getting your position to the Internet and a no-radio way to map your surroundings.
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 08:13:57 AM »

APRSDroid works great.  Most complaints is the length of time it takes to get an APRS-IS Passcode.  I used my arrl.net email address and received it almost instantly but using other email addresses takes a while.

You can download it for free at aprsdroid.org if your phone allows non-Google Play programs to be installed.  I went ahead and purchased the program to encourage future development.  I just tried aprsdroid.org a few minutes ago and it appears to be down.  Hopefully it will back up soon.

There is also a program called U2APRS.  You can download it at http://fujisangoro.web.fc2.com/u2aprs.html.  However, I've had problems with it not continuing to run in the background.

73, Alan N5NA
GRANDKODIAK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 06:40:09 AM »

Is there a universal frequency, pl etc. for digipeaters (those are the upload repeaters for APRS signals, yes?)? I like having the APRS on my Droid and it's working, but it somewhat takes the fun out of using the vhf/uhf radio net. I asked in another post but no one has responded yet, the mode that sends the signal over the phones speaker to transmit via radio... I'd love to use that, especially if i dont have cell signal but had radio (which is often where I hike) but want to update my position. I just don't know where to broadcast it too!

I watch people on http://aprs.fi and see that around me, alot of people have a solid line to W2GSA, which comes up as the Red Cross Center next to Earl Weapons Station west of Ocean NJ... but it doesn't list any information on frequency/pl etc. So I'm guessing its not a repeater, but just a digipeater for APRS broadcasts? I went to thier website and they dont list anything other then about thier repeater nets, and none of the locations match where that is on aprs.fi.

Thanks!

-Brian KD2BOF

Tech/General

no base station yet

Yaesu FT-7900r VHF/UHF
Cobra 29LX CB
Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF
GRANDKODIAK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:13 AM »

I tried a few times with 144.3900 and I never show up on http://aprs.fi... should I be using a pl?

Tech/General

no base station yet

Yaesu FT-7900r VHF/UHF
Cobra 29LX CB
Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »

http://wetnet.net/~we7u/GETTING_STARTED_WITH_APRS_07041.pdf

No PL needed. Make sure you have your path set up to route correctly. It should be wide2-2 or wide3-3 if you live out in the sticks. Relay is not generally used anymore. Once you see your packets digipeated, try to reduce the widen-n number to the minimum number of packets necessary to keep from flooding the network.

Are you hearing packet data bursts on 144.39? Also make sure you are in simplex, not split/offset mode (most newer radios will automatically pick the standard offset, but if you have an older model it might not).
GRANDKODIAK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 06:17:52 AM »

The software was set at wide1-1, so I added wide2-2 to it and tried again, with no luck. I'll only appear if I do it through the internet, its not picking it up when I transmit the tone over the radio, although I can hear plenty of packets. Maybe I'm just being stepped on? It's kinda nonstop most of the time!

Tech/General

no base station yet

Yaesu FT-7900r VHF/UHF
Cobra 29LX CB
Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:13:46 AM »

Next question: are you able to decode packets? if so are you seeing nearby digipeaters nearby? Disconnect your PC from the Internet and watch the map to get some idea of the local "aloha" circle (area you can hear and communicate with). Also if you have a scanner or other radio, listen to your transmissions and make sure they aren't distorted. If you're using a soundcard for packet a lot of times you'll overdrive the radio input, even when using a dedicated data port or interface. Maybe set up a sched with a friend and troubleshoot that way.
GRANDKODIAK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 08:31:40 AM »

I've tried a few times, I'm guessing the software just isn't working correctly or the speaker quality is to low to make a usuable signal... I can't get it to work on my HT either.

Tech/General

no base station yet

Yaesu FT-7900r VHF/UHF
Cobra 29LX CB
Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 06:13:33 AM »

Forgot this was about getting APRSdroid working...

I haven't used APRSdroid's speaker output feature, but I know that packet can be very tricky to get working properly without a good hard-wired interface. AFSK really pushes the limits of speakers and microphone diaphragms. And if you are hearing a lot of stations it's also likely you're getting stepped on (or stepping on someone else). Most of the transmit-only beacons have some sort of sensing circuit to make sure the channel is clear prior to transmitting.

Sometime before field day I'm going to build one or two of these interfaces for my tablet and phone:
http://www.wolphi.com/interfaces

There's no reason why they wouldn't work for your application, but again, I don't think APRSdroid has a way to sense when the channel is clear if you're in a very busy area (and if you're using VOX to key your transceiver there will be a significant delay).

If all else fails, email the developer from the Play Store and see if Georg can help out.
GRANDKODIAK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 11:07:52 AM »

The quality of the audio signal must just be to choppy... I'll play around with the speaker volumes and distances. I love my wouxon and it was dirt cheap, but I think I'm just gunna save up and get me that VX-8DR... man what a radio on paper!

Tech/General

no base station yet

Yaesu FT-7900r VHF/UHF
Cobra 29LX CB
Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: