Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Senile TS-820S  (Read 4083 times)
KCJ9091

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2012, 08:12:40 AM »

It looks like my Second 820 is starting to loose its faculties.  The display works and shows all segments of all digits.  It just displays nonsense.  For example the analog dial shows 7.195 and the usual group is heard, on power up display the displays show 2.080.8 then after an hour or so changes to 6.080.8.  Tweaking the trimmer has no effect. 

All other functions of the radio appear normal.

Counter module gone bad? Or is there something else to check?
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:06:14 AM »

First step in troubleshooting/ repairing all hybrid era Kenwoods.  Tighten all screws which
secure/ground circuit boards.  Often a bad ground connection is the cause of strange problems.  Don't mess with oscillator trimmer adjustment, while something wrong there might cause display problems it would probably be offsets, not erratic numerals.  Check the supply voltages for the solid state devices.

Good Luck
Allen
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 01:59:56 PM »

Should have said that, I have done all the normal display fix quickies.  Cleaned the pins, grounds on the corners cleaned, screws tight, checked for cold solder joints, cleaned with contact cleaner/blow dry, said the magic incantations, sacrificed a virgin, the whole nine yards. 
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 04:04:44 PM »

hi,

I think the problem you are experiencing
was a recent topic on the group below.

please join other kenwood ts-5xx and ts-8xx hybrid fans

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-520_820_530_830/

73 james
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:07:54 AM »

sacrificed a virgin

Oh?  And you found one.......where?   Grin
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:02:43 PM »

The mail order virgin store.  They ain't cheap either.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »

Then again it didn't work.  You think they could have sent me a used one?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 04:22:43 PM »

Technically there is no such thing as a used virgin, but OTOH some less-than-honorable vendors have been known to represent a floor model as a virgin virgin.

Never had this problem before the Internet came along.......................

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »

It looks like my Second 820 is starting to loose its faculties.  The display works and shows all segments of all digits.  It just displays nonsense.  For example the analog dial shows 7.195 and the usual group is heard, on power up display the displays show 2.080.8 then after an hour or so changes to 6.080.8.  Tweaking the trimmer has no effect. 

All other functions of the radio appear normal.

Counter module gone bad? Or is there something else to check?

I am trying to help a local 85 year old ham with one of these, that I know nothing about. You want to switch problems with me? LOL
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 06:15:09 AM »

Technically there is no such thing as a used virgin, but OTOH some less-than-honorable vendors have been known to represent a floor model as a virgin virgin.

Never had this problem before the Internet came along.......................

Them people trying to pass off refurbished/repackaged units as new are getting out of hand.

N4NYY,

It has the covers back on it and is on the shelf being ignored until I get bored enough to drag it back out.  I do have one that works like new that I could use the counter module to test the other but I dare not take the chance of transfering  the gremlins to the good radio.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 06:22:22 AM by KCJ9091 » Logged
W2NFL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »

I have 3 Kenwood TS820S transceivers. The 3rd one that I bought had a display that would not work all the time. Tried all the fixes and it was not repairable. The other two TS820S rigs have displays that were fixable by cleaning etc. After using the one rig without the working digital display ( I pulled it from the radio) I could care less if it had a working display. It really does not make a real world difference in the performance and function of the rig.

Would rather have it working, but have made as many contacts around the world using that rig without the digital display as my other two perfectly working TS820S rigs. At this point it is not worth spending the extra money for the digital display.

Mike
K8MJM
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 06:42:09 AM »

I know the radio will work just fine without it.  BUT the places I have worked have always been of the
"If it is there it has to work" frame of mind.  I guess it has carried over.  Second BUT, the second dial behind
the first dial, the one that has the first digit showing through the window, does not always line up.  I don't
know for sure if I'm on 7.250 or 7.350 which could cause a problem.

I may just end up parking the thing on a net frequency and covering the dial/display.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 08:39:01 AM »

I'm now glad I bought my Kenwood TS820 in 1977 without the pricey and troublesome digital "S" option. That dial and tuning mechanism is certainly an intimidating clockwork wonder. But its easy with a bit of fiddling to get all numbers lined up properly and without removing the entire VFO.

I found this series of photos helpful in working on the 820 VFO
http://tinyurl.com/7whkv65
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: