Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton Hamvention -- the best show on Earth  (Read 21916 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 06:42:08 PM »

And yes, I agree Hara Arena has seen much better days, but there just isn't anywhere else in the Dayton area that could handle a show like the Hamvention.

Actually one possible very good solution is move it to third week of June and they could lease/rent some of the facilities at some area universities or large schools. The Air Show buildings would handle it easily but i is near Airport and FAA kinda freaks though.

This won't work.  The airshow site is 10 miles or more from BOTH of the major Universities in Dayton.  Transportation logistics would be massively expensive to link up the sites.  Hara Arena at least allows most everything to happen at one site and parking is fairly close, too.

Why do you need to link up? The universities are much bigger than Hara with common areas that could be used and auditoriums and onsite parking. No need to use Airport to link up. There is also some very large school complexs here. Did I mention that most of them are new and air conditioned too? DARA could solve this if they would think outside the HARA box and evolve.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2012, 07:25:13 AM »

In years prior to the last ten of which most people are writing there were times when Trotwood, the actual community that has the arena, vacillated from hostile toward Hara, the Dayton Hamfest, one or the other or both. As I was given to understand, at one point while it was still a good venue, the owners of Hara tried to upgrade and enhance Hara but there plans were thoroughly rejected by Trotwood. Since Hara has gone down hil.

If I remember the year correctly it was 2000 when the Dayton area had a debate about whether the Convention was worth having. The people of Trotwood were definitely against it. It was noisy, messed up traffic, attracted the wrong element, and was not something that there community needed to support. Other Dayton communities were more supportive.

Now that times are harder, I expect they like the money it brings in. I haven't had the opportunity to make it to Dayton in 10 years; hope to get back again sometime, but it is now way more than a 45 minute drive.

David
KF7CG
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2012, 09:02:43 AM »

It was noisy, messed up traffic, attracted the wrong element, and was not something that there community needed to support. Other Dayton communities were more supportive.

David
KF7CG

What? Wrong element?

Let's see... based on my observations, Ham radio operators consist of a high percentage of college educated (real college, not English major), high disposable income, fiercely patriotic, happy to help, old nerds. True, we're not a photogenic bunch (I'm looking at you, hard hat with rubber ducky on top guy), but I can honestly say I've never seen a riot break out at a hamfest, and it's fairly rare to even see someone drinking beer. Of course, I've never been to Hamvention. Do hookers and drug dealers come in for the big show?

Maybe they could invite the Sturgis, SD crowd or spring breakers and see what the real "wrong element" looks like.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2012, 04:39:36 PM »

In years prior to the last ten of which most people are writing there were times when Trotwood, the actual community that has the arena, vacillated from hostile toward Hara, the Dayton Hamfest, one or the other or both. As I was given to understand, at one point while it was still a good venue, the owners of Hara tried to upgrade and enhance Hara but there plans were thoroughly rejected by Trotwood. Since Hara has gone down hil.

HARA's slide started when they built a gold course around it that was not best idea or very successful and greatly limited their future growth options too.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »

Did I miss the "Cat in the Hat" dude along with the Tower Hat Guy, or were they really not there this year?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2012, 09:47:06 PM »

Did I miss the "Cat in the Hat" dude along with the Tower Hat Guy, or were they really not there this year?

I did not see them.

KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »

HARA's slide started when they built a gold course around it that was not best idea or very successful and greatly limited their future growth options too.

But the NICE thing about the golf course...  It COULD be plowed under in a heartbeat, but I'm not holding my breath. 

I lived a few miles from Hara Arena when the golf course was built, probably in the early 80's.  They were also planning to build a "resort" hotel on that wooded property just west of the parking along Shiloh Springs Road, but the LOCALS DID RALLY AGAINST THAT IDEA.  That's been at least 25-30 years ago now.  I am a graduate of the University of Dayton (and know that campus well) and I see NO WAY they could hold Hamvention on their campus in one location.  UD Arena, which is a mile or two west of the main campus, MIGHT offer enough space for the flea market (maybe) and perhaps some parking.  There are presently no large, open halls where the inside vendors could set up. The Downtown Convention Center might be able to accommodate the inside vendors and there are some "pay" parking garages nearby, but that's 2 or 3 miles away from UD Arena so HERE COME THE BUSSES!!   

I agree with everyone who thinks Hara is a dump, but knowing the Dayton area fairly well, I just do not see how it could be pulled off at any other location and I haven't even considered what these other areas might charge to hold "part" of the Hamvention.  I will admit, I am NOT familiar with Wright State University and their facilities, but I have my doubts about it being able to handle an invasion of 20,000+ of us.  I also know that it was discussed many years ago about holding the Hamvention at Wright Field, using the runway for the flea market.  That's near the Air Force Museum and there would be parking issues for sure, plus, if I recall, the Military wanted no part of Hamvention on that property at the time. 

I am sure the members of DARA are always looking for a new venue.  Remember too, some of us also bellyache about the $25 admission fee.  I know for a fact that some years, the organization has barely broke even or even lost money.  So the cost of running this show is a MAJOR consideration.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2012, 08:31:56 PM »

I am sure the members of DARA are always looking for a new venue.  Remember too, some of us also bellyache about the $25 admission fee.  I know for a fact that some years, the organization has barely broke even or even lost money.  So the cost of running this show is a MAJOR consideration.

I seriously doubt they are because they would have done something years ago.  As far as the bellyache, I doubt there would be a 25 or even 30 dollar ache if it was at a newer/modern facility with air-conditioning and nice bathrooms and does not look like something built from 50's to 70's and figuratively held together with duck tape.

KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »

I will tell you from being an Assistant Scoutmaster and camped just off the old runways for an Aniversary of FLight Boy Scout gathering, there are two big problems with that area.

1.  The Air Force is positively anal about security there; at least they were just a little over 10 years ago.

2.  When it rains, anything that is paved is a swamp! Of course when there was unpaved parking around Hara that was the case too.

David
KF7CG
ex of Mechanicsburg, OH
KD4EBL

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 01:39:04 PM »

Both were there and I have pictures to prove it. I also saw a lot of hard hats with antennas on top. BTW Hamvention brings $10M into the dayton area each year.
K0NEB

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:08 PM »

I WAS there....
73 de K0NEB...the "Cat In The Hat" Grin
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »

Hamvention isn't complete unless we see you and N8VES. We missed a lot this year spending too much time tailgating.   Next year.....
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2012, 06:59:08 AM »

BTW Hamvention brings $10M into the dayton area each year.

Very very small potatoes in the scheme of things. The only one that might be hurt without Hamvention is Hara and a few next to it that let people park in their yards for quick money. 

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: