The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When to take away the microphone?  (Read 9263 times)
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2016, 08:41:00 AM »

I don't think children have his voice?
Devious little spawn might have stolen it. They can't ever be trusted.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 08:49:18 AM »

YX points out the only logical procedure for correcting the problem. The only thing I would add is to send the notice to the offending operator 'registered mail' so that the repeater owner/operator has a record of the correspondence.

Whenever a procedure such as YX suggests is implemented, everything should be documented....from the times and lengths of the offense to whatever was done to correct the problem. 

I believe if a complaint is filed to the FCC the first thing they will want is everything you, as the owner/operator, have done to correct the situation.  Such documentation will also get the FCC attention faster.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 10:33:35 AM »

Not just that but, there's (sic) certain level of  mental competency required to have or keep a valid amateur license.
Apart from being able to pass the exam, show us where this is written in 47 CFR 97.

He's about to be put off the air, one way or another?  If, the FCC  doesn't take care of it we will take care of it.  He's obviously a nut.
   Reminds me of the good ol' CB days of the '70s, with the antenna raiding parties!!   Shocked
KD6VXI

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2016, 05:10:12 PM »

I'd hope they take it up with his caregiver first.

May be the only / last thing this poor guy has that relates to his 'reality'.

I've taken care of my grandfather,  and my son's grandfather through alzheimers and dementia.

Both,  although having pretty much lost their marbles,  STILL enjoyed the same things they had prior to their marbles being lost.

Yes,  it's a problem.   So are the people wanting the guy to lose his license without knowing ANYTHING about the situation.

Speak with the caregiver.   You may be able to put pops on a simplex freq.,  some place his friends could still pop in and put a smile on his face,  all the while not subject ting the local club and repeater to problems.

It's not hard to build a timer for his ptt line,  either.   Or a VOX circuit.   Hell,  I built my first one as a 14 year old CBer.   So don't tell me nobody in a local club can.

This is a problem begging for a solution.   Not for the damn authorities.

--Shane
KD6VXI

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2016, 07:22:50 PM »

Many radios have a PTT timeout option. Someone go help the guy and set it to 30 seconds.

A few times (on my work radio) I put the mic on the seat and ended up sitting on it. A minute or two later the radio made a loud, annoying noise that told me to unkey the mic. After that happens 3-4 times you get more attentive about putting it back on the hook.

It is also a good reminder that maybe you are getting a bit long-winded in your conversations. I know of one person who monitors this particular sub-forum (from Michigan and is a KC8) who gets that way.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2016, 11:06:05 PM »

License pulled due to un-disclosed reasons. Mutual agreement. to avoid FCC litigation.   Unfit mentally to stay licensed.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2016, 02:10:36 PM »

I used to QSO with one old guy that had a brain injury. I'm sort of a "friend to the friendless" type so I liked talking to him. He actually had some very interesting experiences with radio all around the world it turned out. He'd operated a listening post in Turkey for a few years and seen military duty all over the world. In that particular case I think if he started having problem unkeying the mic I would have gone and implemented a solution as a first step. He could still form new memories unlike a lot of alzheimers cases, probably could have shown him what he was doing...

I think this is a big distinction to make with regard to brain problems: if a person doesn't form new memories then forgetabout it, they have to be supervised since they can't be educated.

The senile old guy might be happy with some SWLing, no?
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2016, 04:20:35 PM »

But, when you key up and say a word or two and forget you have the mic keyed then you are a candidate for a mic cord cutting.
KA4ETV

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2016, 11:16:21 AM »

Did anyone ever think about perhaps offering the person some help or checking on their welfare instead of whining about it on Eham?
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2016, 01:02:02 PM »

Did anyone ever think about perhaps offering the person some help or checking on their welfare instead of whining about it on Eham?

I was going to ask why one of the local OOs couldn't send him an "oops" card, but ETV has an even better solution.
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2016, 09:17:55 PM »

You can only do so much and yes, that was tried too.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2016, 06:14:11 AM »

Considering Ve7KFM and KZ8O still have licenses

<snip>

In case you haven't checked: 'KFM isn't the FCC's problem, and Industry Canada does things a little differently with regards to free speech, permissible operating practices, etc. than the FCC.

Feel free to write them a letter chastising his on-the-air behavior. Or just avoid known trouble spots, as a certain R. Hollingsworth once implored.
KA4ETV

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2016, 06:36:18 AM »

Considering Ve7KFM and KZ8O still have licenses

<snip>

In case you haven't checked: 'KFM isn't the FCC's problem, and Industry Canada does things a little differently with regards to free speech, permissible operating practices, etc. than the FCC.

Feel free to write them a letter chastising his on-the-air behavior. Or just avoid known trouble spots, as a certain R. Hollingsworth once implored.

No kidding.......You mean KFM is in Canada? Who would have thunk it???
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 06:59:43 AM by KA4ETV » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: