Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New HF rig for a new Ham  (Read 9820 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »

I decided!

I'm going to get a TS-590S. Thats just the best i'm going to be able to do. I have way too much to buy to pay any more!

Can anyone assure me there is no ALC / SSB output issue?

Anyone know if the current low HRO pricing is a temporary sale?

You wont be disapointed with the 590 it's a very good modern Rig. 
KK4JJF

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 08:00:35 PM »

And how much will you be spending on your antenna?

I missed this question some how!

Well, for the next few weeks I need help in rigging up the cheapest possible temporary antenna. I'm talking cheap wire thrown out the window!

Plans for the near future are a 45' to 50' tower, with a 3 element A3 tri bander on a rotator for 10 - 15 - 20. For 40m either the add on kit or a inverted Dipole hanging off the tower.  I don't know about 80 and 160? More inverted dipoles or beverage antennas?

Updates:

I have the 590s  "in my cart" and will buy tomorrow morning unless you think the prices may go lower due to Dayton? I want to order soon enough to get it before the holiday! HRO already has a great price with free shipping. $15039

Also. As of 2:00 today I'm a real Ham, and appear in the FCC Database.  Say Hello to KK4JJF
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:02:30 PM by WMACKY » Logged
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2012, 06:14:49 AM »

Welcome to the madness  Tongue
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 11:41:45 PM »

Welcome KK4JJF congratulations on getting your ticket.
Now while your waiting to get your equipment it's a good time to apply for your QRZ page and setting it up.

73s
Robert
W2UIS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 12:21:42 AM »

My hf station is a Yaesu FT 857D, desk microphone, LDG auto tuner and Hustler vertical. If I needed to replace my current radio I would purchase the Icom 7410 (@$2000). Your two choices are very good. However I now find myself on DStar most of the time since I added the Icom 880H, 92AD, and DVAP to my station.
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »

The internal antenna tuner won't match a wire thrown out the window.

And how much will you be spending on your antenna?

I missed this question some how!

Well, for the next few weeks I need help in rigging up the cheapest possible temporary antenna. I'm talking cheap wire thrown out the window!

Plans for the near future are a 45' to 50' tower, with a 3 element A3 tri bander on a rotator for 10 - 15 - 20. For 40m either the add on kit or a inverted Dipole hanging off the tower.  I don't know about 80 and 160? More inverted dipoles or beverage antennas?

Updates:

I have the 590s  "in my cart" and will buy tomorrow morning unless you think the prices may go lower due to Dayton? I want to order soon enough to get it before the holiday! HRO already has a great price with free shipping. $15039

Also. As of 2:00 today I'm a real Ham, and appear in the FCC Database.  Say Hello to KK4JJF

Neil N3DF
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 03:59:31 PM »

And this is a handicap?  A simple wire out window should be avoided anyway as the wire starts radiating as soon as it leaves rig/tuner and can cause RF problems in shack and house at times. 

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »

And this is a handicap?  A simple wire out window should be avoided anyway as the wire starts radiating as soon as it leaves rig/tuner and can cause RF problems in shack and house at times. 

My point exactly.  New HF hams tend to giver 99% of their consideration to a new rig and 1% to the antenna.  These priorities should be reversed. 

Neil N3DF
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2012, 06:51:58 PM »

My point exactly.  New HF hams tend to giver 99% of their consideration to a new rig and 1% to the antenna.  These priorities should be reversed. 

Not really maybe 50/50 or 70/30 favoring rig. It does not take much to make a dipole or G5RV but get a fancy antenna on a poor rig and it will not save day. Today QRN, QRM is a big problem at times and cheap rigs can stumble here

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »

I would look at the Yaesu FT950 as a great rig to start out with. Lots of the large rig features at a decent price. Welcome to amateur radio.
GABRESEVEN

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2012, 07:39:38 AM »

A good starter rig for HF would be an ICOM 718, or a ICOM 725, or ICOM 706. My first HF rig was a an ICOM 725, amd my first starter rig for VHF (2 meters) was an ICOM 290H...

If you get the idea I'm an ICOM guy - you're right... (~SMILE~)
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »

Think antenna, not radio. In my opinion, far too many new HF hams buy a great transceiver and then string up a poor antenna.  A $400 used rig with a good, tower-mounted Yagi  will bring you lots more interesting operating possibilities than a $2,000 radio with a poorly-located dipole or vertical. 

I mostly disagree. Todays bands can be very crowded and times and some locations have trouble with RFI too and a proper rig can deal with this better than a cheap one. I am a firm believer of have a decent rig first and beam second. You do not need a beam to do well but you do need to be able to reject/separate signals. A lot of wire antennas and even verticals can play nicely with minimal investment. 

The thing about antennas is, if you can solder you can make a very good antenna very cheaply.  Yes beams are fine for some things.  But my main antenna is a wire in the trees (see ZS6BKW) that I have been using for probably 10 years.  My record right now is Spain with 100mw.  Not bad for a wire in the thees.

Welcome aboard.  Try CW when you get the urge.

73, JP, K8AG
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2012, 10:24:15 AM »

fan dipole
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 09:09:58 AM »

The thing about antennas is, if you can solder you can make a very good antenna very cheaply. 

I sure do agree with JP on this one!  I just got a monoband beam a few months ago, but 99% of my hamming has been with homemade antennas: wire antennas and verticals.   Building and experimenting with antennas is easy and fun, and you can have great results with very little expense!
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 10:13:48 AM »

IME, both the drawbacks and benefits of homebrewing antennas tend to be overstated Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: