The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New HF rig for a new Ham  (Read 23553 times)
KB4MC

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2016, 04:19:06 PM »

I subscribe to the old adage of "Keep It Simple Stupid". When you're starting out, I'd look for the "most bang for the buck" on the low end basic models. You can always trade up later as you get more knowledgeable as to what features can do what.

Leaves you more money for antennas, tuners, analyzers, etc that you might want or need   Smiley
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2016, 08:05:13 AM »

This thread was started four years ago!  Be that as it may, I have never had a dream about radios or any other inanimate objects.  Instead, my dreams are all about women.  I won't go into details but a healthy man dreams about women...not radios...Geeks and Nerds are not normal men.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2016, 08:28:16 AM »

I dream about all kinds of things.

I thought this this was interesting though, from one of the many sites about the psychology of dreams:

"A woman in your dreams reflects the feminine qualities in you. These include nurturance, love, care, and passivity. It also reflects your own sexual desires and temptations. An old woman in your dreams means you are concerned about aging and graying. She could be a mother figure symbolizing female power. If you see a woman in your dreams, it reflects the other half of your personality. This is the sensitive, caring, and nurturing side of yours. According to Sigmund Freud, seeing a woman in dreams for a man is indicative of his repressed sexual desires. He attributed this phenomenon to the sexual wishes of the individual that seek fulfillment in these dreams. Another famous psychologist called the woman in the dreams of a man Anima, the other side of the personality of the dreamer."

"Radio – A radio is a symbol of communication, especially general communication with the wider world. It indicates your feelings about your ability to interpret events and trends around you. Dreaming that you are listening to the radio through a lot of static or a bad reception is a sign that you are frustrated with or insecure about your ability to understand the events happening around you. This dream symbol also notably lacks any human interaction during this sharing of information, which indicates loneliness or the inability to trust others to tell you the truth."

Of course a dream about a radio or a woman may just mean you are dreaming about a radio or a woman.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2016, 08:02:27 AM »

LOL...I never gave Freud absolute credence concerning his dissertations on repressed sexuality and dream interpretation. Other noted psychiatrists have postulated that men who dream of women aren't necessarily sexually repressed but that they desire more than one relationship can provide. Men are generally polygamous creatures as opposed to women who desire but one mate. Psychological fulfillment in reality may actually be impeded by societal conventions that constrict desirous actions...You know...If it feels good do it....rather than It's not right..don't do it.  Undecided
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2016, 06:46:58 AM »

I used an FT-950 with AC0C filter for 8 years and it was a great radio and I would highly recommend it for anything other than a SERIOUS contest rig. In fact, I recently upgraded to the FTDX-5000 and in normal every-day ragchewing and DXing I don't see much difference. The only contesting I have done so far with the '5000 was field day and then there was a noticeable difference.
However, as a new ham I would gain some experience before buying too much radio. And from what I have heard, the '950 receiver was slightly better than the '2000 anyway. Also, the transmitter is clean and is capable of excellent audio. A nice used '950 can be had for $750-800 which gives you plenty left over for antennas and accessories, as has been said many times, a good antenna will do more for the capabilities of your station than anything else.  I'm not saying that there aren't better radios, I just don't think you'll be disappointed with a '950.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2016, 07:41:57 AM »

Just buy the cheapest most basic functional radio you can find.  It won't be your last radio and you may learn something.  One of the first radios I acquired when I was licensed in 2007 was a Kenwood TS-820; love those hybrids so much I bought a second one.  I learned a lot about radios from reading manuals and getting my hands inside these radios.  So I'm not quite an appliance operator but most new hams don't want to get their hands dirty at all...just plug play and forget about it.  Like playing with computers...I laugh when I hear my friends say that their kids are computer experts, whizzes, etc.  They are just appliance operators who know how to plug and configure things.  The real computer hot shots are the application developers and chip engineers; not the kids that just plug things in.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: