The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elecraft K3 with new KSYN3A synths on CW  (Read 6140 times)
OK1RP

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2015, 05:18:28 AM »

Hello all

my upgraded K3 arrived with several new modules and mods.
http://ok1rp.blogspot.com/2015/07/i-am-back-on-air-with-k3-upgraded.html

I am interresting if someone has reall practice experiences with CW using the
new synthesizers? I already found the review from famous W4BQF on the Elecraft
forum. Just I am looking for on-air feedback from others at standard travelling speed like
30wpm...

Also I will be happy to know some experiences with 500/137kHz mods on K3 (yes I know
its not CW related topic)

Thank You very much,

73 - Petr, OK1RP
http://ok1rp.blogspot.com
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »

Hello Petr,

I recently installed the new synthesizer board in my older K3 (s/n 1061).  I have no way of evaluating its performance, but I wanted to have the latest improvements in dynamic range and QSK.  I have a friend and close neighbor who is also a DX'er running 1KW, and we are able to operate sometimes in the same pileup.  (My friend uses an old FT1000D, which also has a very good receiver.)

There are other hardware mods that I have not performed on my K3, including the audio output protection, and the upgraded DSP module.  I still have only one receiver in my K3, but I have all the available CW roofing filters: 700, 400, 250, and 200 Hz bandwidths. 

Chuck  NI0C

K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 03:13:42 AM »

Hi, Petr - I have the new synthesizer boards in my K3 for several months now.  My biggest test was on 40M during the CW WPX contest. In that scenario, there were many loud signals close to my run frequency.

I usually run the 500Hz filter during contests and when a loud station is at the edge of the passband, stations answering my CQs in the middle of my receive passband would often be attenuated or compressed with the old synthesizers but with the new ones that effect is much less so. So, the new synthesizers do seem to improve adjacent strong signal performance for me.

The only down side is I I seem to have many more strong digital synthesizer birdies around the bands than I did with the old synthesizers. Elecraft's suggestion is to open the K3 and move the synthesizer wires around, to reduce coupling. I did that and did seem to get some reduction but there are are still noticeably more loud ones, especially on 6M, than with the old synthesizers. Many others have seen this same thing, but not all - not clear why some do and some don't.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
OK1RP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 06:54:33 AM »

Hi John,

many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I have to confirm the same behavior on my K3. More birdies and louder birdies thru the bands specially on 6m. Even worse I found the birdies on 15m where I never found anything with the old SYNTHs.

Well the adjacent strong signal performance improvement is significant also over here in my setup.

My best regards,
73 - Petr, OK1RP
--
B: goo.gl/Fd2JhJ
G+: goo.gl/w3u2s9
G+: goo.gl/gP99xq
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: