Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anderson Power Poles won't Click  (Read 3118 times)
KC2NYU

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:46:47 AM »

Have made a few connections with Anderson Power Poles that conduct just fine but don't "click" or "lock" together. Anyone got an idea of what I am doing wrong in assembling them/adjust or how do get the ones I have to mate properly.

73 Paul kc2nyu
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:43:20 AM »

If they don't click, they are usually not put together properly. perhaps bent while crimping or something.  For security and a semi permanent joint I will often put a small zip tie or some dental floss  between the roll pin holes in the 2 sets and tie off to hold them to gether, you can buy gizmo's to do this but a zip tie works well.  and remember this ditty, red right, tongue top.  this means if the metal part is on the top looking from the front the red one will be on the right.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »

Powerpoles don't have a retention feature, just whatever friction the contacts provide as they slide over each other.  You can buy clips that hold connected pairs together or do what N6AJR mentioned and just run a zip tie or twist tie through the holes.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:05:08 PM »

Maybe I mis-stated the question. It is not the red and black
(clipped side by side) not staying together that is the problem. It is that the black to black  connectors that won't stay together. Seems to be hit and miss with my technique. On the current project, the red to red click together and stay together, the blk-blk keep coming apart.

Paul
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 01:45:52 PM »

Considering that the dimensions of a Red and Black PowerPole are identical, I can't help but think you are trying to put them together incorrectly.  Just as a check, I have 29 Black PowerPoles which I have assembled into pairs, taking care to try individual housings with others, without any problems.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 02:03:21 PM »

Are you referring to inserting the crimped conductor (assembly) into the plastic housing or are you referring to the connectors (after assembly) not staying together?

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
KK7KZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »

I had the same problem; I hadn't pushed the contact all the way into the housing and seated it. Give the wire a tug and try to pull the wires out of the plastic. If they come out they weren't seated all the way. The wires/contact will 'click' in when seated properly; if done correctly the two connectors will sort of 'snap' together when joined.

The curled over part of the contact snaps over a tiny ledge inside the plastic housing when seated properly. Look carefully inside the housing to see if that is happening. Sometimes it takes a bit of force to get them seated.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:49:26 PM by KK7KZ » Logged
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 06:24:54 PM »

Appreciate all the replies. My problem is that the connectors after assembly don't stay together and I think as Ron points out it probably because I am not pushing the contacts all the way into the connector. I will go back and inspect and check to see if the contacts are all the way in or got bent some how and thus aren't clicking together.

73 Paul kc2nyu
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »

...The curled over part of the contact snaps over a tiny ledge inside the plastic housing...

Yep KK7KZ has it correct.  I would almost bet money on it - if I had any.  Carefully inspect the assembly looking into the front.  The curved pin you pushed into the rear-end should have snapped down over the spring that is inside the shell.  Your pin should look as if it is almost sitting flat on the bottom of the shell.  If the pin is sitting up to where you can easily see the curved part, then it isn't in the shell far enough.  The lip of the pin must snap down over the spring inside the shell.  This happens quite frequently when you, I, or anyone tries to put to big of a wire into the connector.  For instance if you are using 10 gauge zip cord, the wire will fit into the pin, but the insulation will hang up on the shell as you insert the pin and wire into the shell.  Been there done that more than once.

Your are exactly correct, there is a bit of a snap when you plug PowerPoles together.  If you don't feel that little snap then it may still make good contact but the plugs will likely work themselves apart.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

AE5QB
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »

If the wire that is crimped into the contact is small then it is difficult to get the connector seated completely in the shell. 

I've found it necessary to used a very small screwdriver to finish pushing the crimped contact in until it "snaps."
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 05:00:30 AM »

When crimping the contacts to the wire, sometimes the contact itself gets bent a little.  Those contacts have to be almost perfectly straight (and the wire coming out of them too) when you're done crimping, or you will not get the contact to lock into the shell correctly.  And, as someone has pointed out already, if they're not locked into the shell correctly, the 'tension' that the contacts will naturally provide just isn't there, and the connectors won't 'snap' together like they should.
K0AX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 09:22:55 AM »

I find that I sometimes need to use pliers to compress the crimped area (left to right - not top to bottom) in order to get the connector to snap into the shell.  Once it gets in there and fits over the spring, it will become very difficult to pull back out.  That's a good thing.  The tension holding the connectors together is pretty good, but the heavy wires, 12 or 14 gauge, commonly used with these things, can be pretty heavy and stiff themselves.  That alone may cause the connectors to become unplugged.  Using the zip tie or clip mentioned earlier is a good idea.  Stay with it. Knowing how to assemble Power Poles is a useful skill.

Ken
KØAX
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 05:58:09 PM »

Well thanks again to all who offered their experience with the Anderson Power Poles. I found that in the process of crimping the contact, it was getting  slightly bent and I was not pushing it far enough into the connectors. So I have learned a lot from you all, thanks much.
73 Paul kc2nyu
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 08:25:46 PM »

I found early on that using the incorrect crimper creates these flat or widened crimp connectors that presents this insertion problem.  There are special crimpers made for the Power Poles but they cost around $50.00.  I bought a set of Klein crimpers from an electrical outlet (they sell electrical gear to electricians and industry).  They are used for crimping the metal connectors used in industry.  There have two different sized crimp "jaws" and one of them fits the Power Poles perfectly.  Cost:  $25.00.

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 01:01:52 PM »

Here are the steps that have been successful for me in assembling PP connectors:

1.  After crimping the wire in the barrel of the connector, use small needle nose pliers to *gently* reshape the crimped barrel so that it is more round than flat.  (Careful not to spoil the crimp)

2.  Us the same needle nose pliers to make sure that the blade of the connector extends out in the same plane as the length of the barrel.  (Mine usually require me to bend the blade down just a tad at the junction with the crimp barrel).  Refer to pictures provided by Power Poles.

3.  After you insert the crimp connector as far into the plastic housing that you can by hand, use a small, flat blade screwdriver to press against the back of the crimp barrel and "encourage" the crimp connector to go forward just a bit more.  You should hear a definate "click" as the blade seats itself in the plastic housing.  I have seldom been successful in assembling a PP connector without this extra persuasion with the screwdriver.  I use that step now all the time, just to be sure.

http://www.westmountainradio.com/content.php?page=supportrr#pp_gen_inst

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: