Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning Up Coax Lines into the house  (Read 6264 times)
NI0Z

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:01:32 PM »

Anyone know of some nice plates or ready made commercial solutions for connecting up your external ground and multiple coax lines running into your house?

Thinking about cleaning up my installs, sinking a ground rod proper for my roof tower and other antennas.

LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 04:47:08 PM »

If you search for "single point ground panel", "entry panel" or "entry box" you'll find copper panels or panels mounted in the box by the likes of PolyPhaser, KF7P, etc. You'll mount your coax protection devices and disconnect switches on the copper plate inside the box. I haven't heard about anyone selling a system with protection devices already pre-installed; maybe you need to hire a local installation engineer if you want that?

Here's one product with an eham review: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9052
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:52:07 PM by LA9XSA » Logged
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 05:29:02 PM »

Anyone know of some nice plates or ready made commercial solutions for connecting up your external ground and multiple coax lines running into your house?

Thinking about cleaning up my installs, sinking a ground rod proper for my roof tower and other antennas.

One simple way to clean up the mess of coax into the shack is with a remote antenna switch. I use two of them, and now have two HF lines and one for 6 meters, one for VHF/UHF. Much better!
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 05:41:59 PM »

Here's one product with an eham review: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9052

I like this one!  Thanks for your help!

K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 05:56:17 PM »

This may interst you.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-4704
NA7U

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 03:29:17 PM »

BTW, if the ground rod you mentioned is for lightning protection, don't stop at a single rod. Get two more and place them 15' away from the center rod in opposite directions and tie them with as big as you can afford solid copper wire placed at least a few inches below the ground. You can continue to add to this configuration in the same way if you want. This method will dissipate a strike much more efficiently than a single rod.

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »

I did buy a few rods today to start, might take a bit for me to get them in the ground proper.  Have to start by getting dig safe out to mark up all my utility lines.  I need to research ways to easily get them 8 1/2 feet in the ground.  I think a fence post auger will get me 3 feet.  Need ideas for the other 5  1/2.  I'd like to have a coller and cover for them so mowing the lawn is no issue as well.  All this is adding up to some serious jack!  If I had a location where I could have done a ground based tower, I probably would have gone that route rather than the roof tower.  At least things will eventually be done fairly right. I need about another 8 to 10 years at this QTH as well, so I should get my milage out of the work I am doing.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:40:38 PM by EVERSTAR » Logged

NA7U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 05:25:48 PM »

Is the ground where you are particularly hard or rocky? I've always just used a step ladder and small sledge to get rods into the ground, but I haven't been up against anything really hard. You might try soaking the ground with just a small trickle of water for about 12-24 hours. Sometimes that helps, especially if the ground is very dry.

KC9NVP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 06:06:06 PM »

Have you tried to use a rotary hammer drill to drive the rods into the ground?  Before my hammer drill gave out on me, I used it to drive several of my ground rod.

David, KC9NVP
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 10:33:25 AM »

Do you happen to have a source for the bits used to do this?  I had some rods I needed to drive and had heard this suggestion but was never able to find a source for the bit used in the drill that holds the ground rod.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »

There is this I found, but little info, so I did not want to risk getting it, although it may just be perfect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GROUND-ROD-AUGER-8-8-FOOT-11-16-GROUNDING-DRILL-/300340026491#ht_1600wt_922

I have some bulb planting dril bits, I just need an 8' extension! Smiley and some kind of mega drill to use with it!  Sure would be easier than digging a hole!

Just found this as well, might work my bulb bit.  Since I am thinking of a doped rod, a fence post auger could get me my first 3-4 feet and then a bit like this might get me the rest alone with a tap.  Then I could keep a recessed collar up in the wider part of the hole,near the top, to use for doping and a lid to keep mowing over it easy.

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=61%2D826

I have at least a few weeks befor I start this project though.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:21:35 PM by EVERSTAR » Logged

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 01:18:56 PM »

Drilling a hole isn't the same, however, as the contact between the soil and the
ground rod is not as reliable.  (The same goes for using too much water in the
process.)

I use a fence post pounder (a weighted piece if pipe with handles welded on the
sides) and they go right in, at least down to the point where the bottom of the
pounder hits the ground.  Then I follow up with a sledge for the last bit.

For routing the coax in through the wall, I made a 6" panel that fit in a window
opening when I had to replace the window.  So the window is 6" shorter, and all
my cables come in right below it.

A dryer vent is an unobtrusive way to get all your cable in through the wall.
KC9NVP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »

No bit needed orther then the attachement for holding a standard drill chuck.  Chuck the ground rod into the drill chuck and stand on a ladder to start with using the rotatry hammer function, walk the rod into the ground.

David KC9NVP
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 05:37:20 PM »

"You can get a 8 ft ground rod in the ground in a couple of minutes with only a bottle of water."

That is what a ham friend told me several years ago when I getting ready to pound a ground rod with a sledge hammer. Of course I did not believe it. You probably do not believe it either. So I did what any ham would do, I went and got a bottle of water. My friend got the ground rod in the ground in 2 minutes. This is in hard S.IL clay.

My ham friends father was a lineman. This is how they put in all their ground rods. Take the water and pour some on the ground. Take the ground rod between your 2 hands and start rubbing the ground rod back and forth. Kinda like a drill motor going forward and then backward real fast. While doing this put slight pressure on the ground rod. The rod will start to make a hole. Pull the rod up a little and add water. Repeat over and over. The trick is in making sure the water is doing most of the work. I believe it is working on a principle of hydraulic action. All I know for sure is it works.

I still can not get a 8 ft rod in ground in 2 minutes like my friend. It takes me about 5 minutes. The nice thing is when you are done the rod is not all mushroomed over.

Stan K9IUQ

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 12:04:18 PM »

Just use a hammer drill:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Concrete-Drilling-Tools-Hammer-Drills/DEWALT/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ4j2Zart9/R-100037000/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

If you choose not to invest in one, they are available at most tool rental outlets by the hour.  Piece of cake.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: