Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More CW sounds  (Read 370 times)
K5PEW

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:09:06 PM »

Well, I heard a couple more CW signals that raised my eyebrow.

1) Earlier today I heard one side only of a very long QSO where the station sounded like it was transmitting about 3 overlapped carriers and it gave the signal a very strange "HALL" effect that sounded like it was resonating through an empty warehouse. In addition I tuned up and down and found that the signal was nearly 10k wide from about 14.035 - 14.045.

2) Last night I was listening to a 10 meter beacon from the Great Lakes region (I'm in Oklahoma City) and I was getting two signals (the same signal twice), each with it's own tone frequency (about 100hz apart) and one delayed by about 3 seconds behind the other. I thought I might be hearing short path and long path, but I kinda doubt any 10 meter beacons were going trans-global last night.

Got any ideas about what these odd sounding signals are caused by?

Thanks for your time.

Graham Welch - K5PEW (In memory of Paisley Elizabeth Welch)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 08:55:53 AM »

Short-path vs. long-path time difference isn't anything near 3 seconds, it's milliseconds: About 1/6 of a second.  It can create an "echo" for sure, but not a 3 second delay.  And you're right, propagation on 10m hasn't been good enough for this lately about 99% of the time (maybe 100%).

What kind of receiver are you using, exactly??

WB2WIK/6
KD6TVH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »

I've heard a similar "hall" effect and wondered what the cause is. I would call it CW with a "studio audio" sound like it was played in a room. That's the best way I can explain it.

All the different CW sounds are great and it's fun to hear buzzing and chirpy cw--you know it's likely DX or an old boat anchor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: