Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex Site: "Imagine a transceiver that changes Ham Radio - Forever.."  (Read 25812 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2012, 05:31:19 AM »

Watch the scrolling banner on our home page (www.flexradio.com) daily to
imagine with us.   Find out the whole story May 18th at the Dayton
Hamvention and on our website.

GAME CHANGER AHEAD!

Gerald

Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR
President and CEO
FlexRadio Systems

http://www.flex-radio.com/

Lots of speculation about this "game changer" on various Flex groups.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »

I imagine Flex sales of radios and peripherals such as VHF/UHF units, internal tuners and 2nd receivers will be about zero until the "Game Changer" is explained Friday. Or is put into full production (assuming it is hardware) which may be far off if the Elecraft KX3 is any guide. OTOH,  a >$5,000 "GC" wouldn't be upsetting to their current line.

Damn, I just paid $5,500 for an ADAT! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:12:24 PM by K0OD » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:54:38 PM »

I imagine Flex sales of radios and peripherals such as VHF/UHF units, internal tuners and 2nd receivers will be about zero until the "Game Changer" is explained Friday. Or is put into full production (assuming it is hardware) which may be far off if the Elecraft KX3 is any guide. OTOH,  a >$5,000 "GC" wouldn't be upsetting to their current line.

Damn, I just paid $5,500 for an ADAT! Smiley

I'm guessing it is not hardware.  It probably has something to do with the software.  If it is hardware, then it is probably a new rig that uses Ethernet instead of Firewire for communications with the PC.

Gene
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:15:40 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
N3EVL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 02:21:56 PM »

The banner thing on the web site says "...imagine...a transceiver..." so I'm guessing new hardware (but then again this is SDR we're talking about so I probably shouldn't discount the "software" part).  The web site appears to have added something today re networking so I'm also guessing the hardware includes Ethernet connectivity.  My WAG is new hardware embracing DDC/DUC with Ethernet - but then again, I've been wrong before (as the XYL occasionally reminds me).

I forget how long the 5000 has been around - I know I got my SDR-1000 back in 2006 and, IIRC, it was a year or so after that that the 5000 became available.  I guess Friday will reveal all.

Pete, N3EVL
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »

How about a true SDR with knobs, Ethernet and USB... Don't knock it till you try it, I added,knobs to my flex and love it as it beats a mouse in many cases.  Such a box gives you the best of worlds with all the high speed visual elements and filters the SDR can provide but the ease of use and intuitive interface of a traditional rig. 

This would be a big stretch though for Flex as they would really have to get out of their comfort element, so I am going to say that it might be a Significantly better performing SDR with Ethernet or USb, VHF/UHF and some cool software options.  May they are collaborating now with WoodBoxRadio radio.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »

If it is hardware, then it is probably a new rig that uses Ethernet instead of Firewire for communications with the PC.

That would be my guess. Firewire has been dead for a while, of course serial ports have been too. We hams keep that old outdated technology around forever.

It would be USB 2 or 3 not Ethernet. This is far more "flexible" than Ethernet (no pun meant)

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 03:32:45 AM »

If it is hardware, then it is probably a new rig that uses Ethernet instead of Firewire for communications with the PC.

That would be my guess. Firewire has been dead for a while, of course serial ports have been too. We hams keep that old outdated technology around forever.

It would be USB 2 or 3 not Ethernet. This is far more "flexible" than Ethernet (no pun meant)

Nope, not in Flex's case.  Flex "engineers" have so badmouthed USB 2 in the past to justify their choice of Firewire, they have painted themselves firmly into the anti-USB corner.  If there is a new PC interface to the Flex radios it will be Ethernet.  Mark my words on this.

Besides, USB 3 is only just showing up now on new systems.  Flex is not going to release a USB 3 interface for their radios and potentially cut themselves off from over half of its customer base that has older systems.

Same thing with knobs.  

Gene
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:36:12 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 05:01:27 AM »

A lot of system did not have Fire-wire on them either and had to be added. Firewire is dead because of USB2 and now USB3.  They would be VERY foolish to ignore this.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 05:21:13 AM »

The newest blub says "Imagine digital starting at the antenna connector..."

So I am now betting it will be a direct sampling transceiver with Ethernet connectivity to the PC.

Gene

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 05:23:01 AM »

A lot of system did not have Fire-wire on them either and had to be added. Firewire is dead because of USB2 and now USB3.  They would be VERY foolish to ignore this.

Yes, but Firewire existed long before they released the Flex-5000.  USB 3 is relatively new.  It will be Ethernet... just watch...

Gene
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 12:26:49 PM »

Here's another prediction.  Tomorrow Gerald will post:

"Imagine a transceiver that makes your Flex-5000a OBSOLETE..."
  Grin

Get ready to see a bunch of used 5000 and 3000 radios hit the market.  You'd better unload it before it is too late!

Gene
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:28:58 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 12:53:42 PM »

All of you Kenwood owners better sell all of your rigs! The new TS-990 makes it obsolete! And you know it is better that any Flex rig could ever be because it has 148 buttons and knobs. If it had 150 I would buy one. Now that would make it a Real Radio TM. I bet that everthing that Kenwood has ever sold will be going to firesale prices on Craigslist before the weekend is out. But then who is going to buy them since everyone will be ordering a TS-990?
http://dx-world.net/2012/new-kenwood-ts-990/

Zack
N8FNR
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:01:06 PM by N8FNR » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 01:02:30 PM »

Why don't we start a specific thread where the usual Flex bashers can parrot this nonsense. 

K9IUQ:
"Time to dump your Flex 5K before the rush. It will not be worth much next year at this time.

K9IUQ:
Get rid of all your firewire stuff boys, the bottom is about to fall out. If Flexradio goes Ethernet, Flex 5K's are going to be bloating the market for cheap.. Sell now before the rush.

KE5JPP:
Get ready to see a bunch of used 5000 and 3000 radios hit the market.  You'd better unload it before it is too late!

Where are all the SDR makers that were supposed to bury Flex a year or two ago?
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »

KE5JPP:

Where are all the SDR makers that were supposed to bury Flex a year or two ago?

If you are directing the question towards me, I never said anything about other SDR manufacturers burying Flex.   You must see "Flex bashers" around every corner!

I am hoping that Flex comes out with an Ethernet interface DDC transceiver and I wish them much success with it.   Hopefully it will be much better than the 5000.

Gene

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »

All of you Kenwood owners better sell all of your rigs! The new TS-990 makes it obsolete! And you know it is better that any Flex rig could ever be because it has 148 buttons and knobs. If it had 150 I would buy one. Now that would make it a Real Radio TM. I bet that everthing that Kenwood has ever sold will be going to firesale prices on Craigslist before the weekend is out. But then who is going to buy them since everyone will be ordering a TS-990?
http://dx-world.net/2012/new-kenwood-ts-990/

Zack
N8FNR

That Kenwood sure is pretty though!

I remember when Flex announced the Flex-5000a.  Immediately Flex SDR-1000s started showing up in droves on the used market.  No reason to think it won't happen again.

In fact, the smart guys offloaded them pretty quickly because Flex slowly fazed out support for the SDR-1000 from its software.  You can't even run a SDR-1000 on Windows 7 64 now.  If history is any teacher, guys should offload their 5000, 3000, and 1500 models before Flex starts fazing out support for them in future software just like they did with the SDR-1000.

Gene
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:18:55 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: