Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! Who made my new set of paddles?  (Read 2542 times)
W4UTI

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2012, 02:45:35 PM »

I just bought this new beautiful set of paddles. There is no brand name on them and the ham I bought them from doesn't recall who he bought them from. They are all brass except for the contact points, the tiny set screws and the clear plexiglass finger-pads which are about 3/16 inch thick and a little larger than pads I have seen. It is strictly spring and NOT magnetic. The most distinguishing things about it are: It is VERY heavy. I would estimate at least 5 pounds and the solid brass base is really made up of two tiers. The bottom tier is 7/8 inch thick polished brass and measures 3 1/2 by 4 inches. The tier on top of that is 1/2 inch polished brass measuring 3 1/4 by 3 3/4. All edges are nicely beveled. It has 4 large round flat feet. Let me tell you, these paddles are NOT going to move on the desk. I have never even heard of paddles this heavy. The action seems good. As I said at the top, there is no brand name, but on the bottom of the base, stamped into the brass is "c150." (No quotation marks, of course. I will be happy to send pictures to any and all who might be able to help me. Thanks, and 73.  Karl - W4UTI
K4KRW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:18:38 PM »

K8RA by chance?  The P4 weighs about 5 lbs.

http://www.k8ra.com/index_018.htm
KC9QQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 04:42:50 PM »

I agree, the paddle you are describing sounds like it is a K8RA P4.  Here is a link to their page on the P4.  http://www.k8ra.com/index_018.htm

Fred, KC9QQ
W4UTI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »

Thank you, Gentlemen. You are absolutely right. I had looked up a lot of paddles trying to decide what to try for. I NEVER managed to look at the K8RA, but the P-4 is exactly what I have. I'm not sure I'm gonna like it, but I'm sure gonna give it a good try. Again, my thanks, and 73 to both of you. Karl -W4UTI
W4UTI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »

Well, we were all close. A visit to Jerry's webpages show that I have the P-5, which is the P-4 with additional brass base and a weight in excess of 7 lbs. It's a huskly little devil. The P-5 I have is the "spring" model, but Jerry's site says I can get a conversion kit to magnets that I can put in myself for $10. Sounds like a bargain, since the springs on this one are too stiff, even when backed out all the way. I like a very light touch and VERY close spacing. You gentlemen have been a great help. See you on 40 CW. 73, Karl - W4UTI
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 06:55:42 AM »

Karl:  Instead of opting for the magnetic mods, why not ask Jerry for some lighter springs?  Or consider asking for the lighter springs and the magnetic mod and you'll have a choice?

I've found out that to me, magnetic resistance feels 'strange.'
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 05:35:39 PM »

Well, we were all close. A visit to Jerry's webpages show that I have the P-5, which is the P-4 with additional brass base and a weight in excess of 7 lbs. It's a huskly little devil. The P-5 I have is the "spring" model, but Jerry's site says I can get a conversion kit to magnets that I can put in myself for $10. Sounds like a bargain, since the springs on this one are too stiff, even when backed out all the way. I like a very light touch and VERY close spacing. You gentlemen have been a great help. See you on 40 CW. 73, Karl - W4UTI

I don't think I'd want to put a magnet in myself .... sounds painful.   Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KI5IO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 08:52:47 PM »

Contact K8RA directly. He is GREAT to work with. I have a P4 along with a Begali Simplex Pro.  Both are very good iambic keys.

I think it would be wise to have K8RA do any magnetic modification to ensure a good base-line adjustment.

As for the springs on my P4 ... I've not had any problems with the ones shipped with the paddle. I also like a light touch with close spacing and (so far) no problems.

Nolan Kienitz
KI5IO
Plano, TX

Nolan Kienitz
KI5IO
Plano, TX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: