Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest Rare DX Activation Rumors  (Read 3667 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2012, 05:48:31 AM »

Here are the DX Rumors that I know of - where somebody is actively pursuing activating a rare one:

Navassa
Kingman
Heard
Bouvet
South Sudan

ZL9 is more than a rumor - its announced.

I'm guessing we will see a flurry of exciting announcements this year - as next year is the peak year of Cycle 24.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 07:14:02 AM »

Oh please not Bouvet for a few more years...While I'd love to have that one on a lot more bands/modes, I'd personally rather see that kind of huge money and effort go into a location that has been completely silent for 10-15 years instead. Petrus was quite active as 3C0E in 2007/2008 and there were a few activations before that, too if memory serves.

But if folks are planning to go to locations that have been active but that I've missed (<--note: that's humour), may I humbly suggest San Felix, South Georgia and South Sandwich?  Wink

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 07:35:18 AM »

Bouvet is No. 3 on the DX Magazine's top 100 list.  I'd like to see expeditions to FR/J and FR/T, plus another Monk on Mt. Athos to help Apollo, especially on CW. 

Chuck  NI0C
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 07:35:35 AM »

Oh please not )Bouvet for a few more years...While I'd love to have that one on a lot more bands/modes, I'd personally rather see that kind of huge money and effort go into a location that has been completely silent for 10-15 years instead. Petrus was quite active as 3C0E in 2007/2008 and there were a few activations before that, too if memory serves.

But if folks are planning to go to locations that have been active but that I've missed (<--note: that's humour), may I humbly suggest San Felix, South Georgia and South Sandwich?  Wink

San Felix Huh Everybody has San Felix! ( Just pulling your chain.  Grin) Your list of needed entities is much much smaller than my list. Since 6O wasn't on my list, from a selfish point of view, I'm really unaffected by the cancellation and maybe the lottery wheel will hit on a place I don't have.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:47:39 AM »

Is South Sudan rare?  It is to me since I missed ST0R.  I thought all the hams in the world except me worked ST0R last year.

How about Vatican or SMOM for those of us in N.A.  I have only heard them once but I wasn't able to crack the pile up with my little pistol station I had then.

How about the terrible 'Ts' in Africa like Chad?

Jonathan W6GX

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 08:00:49 AM »

I thought all the hams in the world except me worked ST0R last year.

I missed them - and then realized I had some antenna work to do. I avenged that miss by getting 7O6T - but that part of the world is by far my most difficult - even with better antennas.

I don't think Petrus worked many at all from Bouvet, and I don't think there has been a serious DX-ped there for a long time. N4BQW (SK), Chuck, activated Bouvet before that in 2000 - 2001:

http://hamgallery.com/Tribute/N4BQW/

He was a great guy who travelled to many rare places and gave me a bunch of new ones. His 3Y0C activation happened just before I got back into ham radio and DX-ing (after being off the air for 23 years).

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:08:56 AM by KY6R » Logged
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 08:05:41 AM »

I've managed to get 7O and 6O with loops and 100w... but I'd feel a lot better about these others with an amp and some gain.

ex W4HFK
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:24:51 AM »

Is South Sudan rare?  It is to me since I missed ST0R.  I thought all the hams in the world except me worked ST0R last year.
We did. Guess you didn't get the memo Grin

How about Vatican or SMOM for those of us in N.A.  I have only heard them once but I wasn't able to crack the pile up with my little pistol station I had then.
The Vatican was on a number of times last year. 1A was on last year (Got 'em Jan. 28 2011 on 17m, confirmed LoTW), but the big activations were in 2004 and 2007. Since both those entities are located pretty much within Italy, you can imagine how rotten the pileups are to be in. Even bigger east-coasters have serious problems with the EU piles, so good luck with both of these!

How about the terrible 'Ts' in Africa like Chad?
Been reading Bob Locher's book have ya? Grin
Chad was just on two months ago (TT8ES)! TJ had a massive operation in February 2011, TN was up in January, Mali was up last year IIRC, but I already had them from 10-160 so I didn't work the last activation personally. TL was on for 2 years with a long-term resident who's since moved. TY has been on every year (latest was last August, IIRC) but last had a major activation in 2006.

You're pretty new to the game so for you it'll be just a matter of time until these come around again, which will probably be within 5 years give or take. But with that said, while you're waiting for all these "rare" * ones to be activated, make sure you're maximizing what you have on your end. How 'bout some top-notch aluminum in the air and more juice out of the wall? Those Terrible-Ts will be difficult for you on the west coast so make sure you have a way to bust the East Coast and European walls.

Practice and hone your skills with the easy ones; for you on the left coast there's always a slew of semi-rare ones in the Pacific that come up every winter. Work 'em all on every band and mode you can hear. Then when something hard over-the-pole comes up you'll be ready for 'em!

*  Don't buy into the old saw that rare="something I don't have."  Rare is rare; something that's only on very occasionally, like once in 10 years. Bouvet is rare as hell despite the fact I have it confirmed. Those "terrible-Ts" aren't rare in the slightest even though they may take 8-10 years between major activations. I consider those semi-rare. Rare is P5 (now), Scarborough Pimple, Navassa, Heard, Eritrea, etc. Rare used to also include BY, ZA, VU7, VU4--and now 7O. And to think, just fifteen days ago I could not conceive of 7O not being rare!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:30:04 AM by W2IRT » Logged

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 08:48:47 AM »

Pete- well said.  I just got my tower this year.  So I'm pretty much working all the dxpeditions that are on the year.  My first two years as a ham I missed a lot of dxpeditions because I couldn't hear them or because I didn't use CW at the time.  I hope to work more new ones with this solar cycle.  The tower makes a lot of difference.  I cannot put more aluminum in the air.  I already have 120 lbs of it now.  But I could use more juice through the wall.  I need a legal-limit amp. but my XYL doesn't quite agree with me  Embarrassed

I'm still a newbie when it comes to DX'ing and I'm loving every minute of it.

Jonathan W6GX
W6DXO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 09:00:53 AM »

Well, IF the DX Gods are reading this I would ask for those pesky EU entities I still don't have:

Mt Athos

Vatican City

SMOM

UK Base on Cyprus

...and hey...nice weather most of the time  Wink

73 de harry, W6DXO
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 10:25:32 AM »

I am very surprised they consider Kingman an entity. But more amazing is how the hell they can pull it off over there.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »

Pete- well said.  I just got my tower this year.  So I'm pretty much working all the dxpeditions that are on the year.  My first two years as a ham I missed a lot of dxpeditions because I couldn't hear them or because I didn't use CW at the time.  I hope to work more new ones with this solar cycle.  The tower makes a lot of difference.  I cannot put more aluminum in the air.  I already have 120 lbs of it now.  But I could use more juice through the wall.  I need a legal-limit amp. but my XYL doesn't quite agree with me  Embarrassed

I think you may need to have "the talk" with your XYL Wink
I basically said to mine that I will not compromise the health or security of our family (we have no kids to worry about), but I will buy some good lifetime-quality radio equipment that won't need to be replaced in a few years. I will use be on the air a fair amount but not so much as I don't divide my responsibilities fairly. Five weekends a year are mine for the purposes of playing radio. CQWW-SSB, both ARRL-DXs, WPX-SSB and Dayton. There will be other weekends that I'd like to play radio (both big 160m contests, WPX-CW and Field Day) if she has nothing else planned and I'm not needed elsewhere. I *will* particiapte in chasing DXpeditions at all hours of the night but I will do everything in my power not to disturb She Who Must Be Obeyed. I *will* put up the antennas required for me to engage in my hobby at the level I wish to play at--and honestly she was good with all of that. In return, I told her, she'll always know where I am and I won't be out getting drunk (or worse) at all hours of the night.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 10:57:11 AM »

I am very surprised they consider Kingman an entity. But more amazing is how the hell they can pull it off over there.

Physically - its more of an entity than Scarborough Reef. Technically speaking - it would not be a separate entity under the current rules because it is too close to Palmyra, but it was "Grand Fathered In". There are actually quite a few entities that were grandfathered in when they re-wrote and standardized a bunch of the DXCC rules in the late 90's.

The rumor that I kept hearing was that it will be deleted because on this ARRL web page:

http://www.arrl.org/rules#Section_3

"e) Entities on the 1998 DXCC List that do not qualify under the current criteria remain as long as they retain the status under which they were originally added. A change in that status will result in a review in accordance with Rule 5 of this Section."

And what I heard was that since Kingman had been under the auspices of the US Navy - and it has since changed status - to the US Fish and Wildlife Department, that it would have to be "under review". I think this is the main reason it has not been activated since 2001. Its certainly easier to get to than Peter I, Malpelo, etc.

The ARRL DXCC Desk confirmed last week that's its on the list with no pending actions or discussions to take it off the list. I would imagine whomever is doing research to possibly activate it - is checking this out.

My guess getting a landing permit is the trickiest part - but obviously other protected islands in marine reserves have gotten such permission (Kure, etc).

I would love to see it activated - but of course I would - its in my "backyard" . . . .
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:00:38 AM by KY6R » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »

At my house the XYL is the DX god as she decides when I could get on the air.

What I also learned is that once you have a decent station it takes considerable resources for any incremental performance.

I apologize for hijacking the thread.

Jonathan W6GX

I think you may need to have "the talk" with your XYL Wink
I basically said to mine that I will not compromise the health or security of our family (we have no kids to worry about), but I will buy some good lifetime-quality radio equipment that won't need to be replaced in a few years. I will use be on the air a fair amount but not so much as I don't divide my responsibilities fairly. Five weekends a year are mine for the purposes of playing radio. CQWW-SSB, both ARRL-DXs, WPX-SSB and Dayton. There will be other weekends that I'd like to play radio (both big 160m contests, WPX-CW and Field Day) if she has nothing else planned and I'm not needed elsewhere. I *will* particiapte in chasing DXpeditions at all hours of the night but I will do everything in my power not to disturb She Who Must Be Obeyed. I *will* put up the antennas required for me to engage in my hobby at the level I wish to play at--and honestly she was good with all of that. In return, I told her, she'll always know where I am and I won't be out getting drunk (or worse) at all hours of the night.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »

I'm in the same boat except I worked UK base of Cyprus during the last major RTTY contest.

Our chances of working the rest are slim due to our location. I'm sure Mt. Athos is a much more needed entity than Europe.

Jonathan W6GX

Well, IF the DX Gods are reading this I would ask for those pesky EU entities I still don't have:

Mt Athos

Vatican City

SMOM

UK Base on Cyprus

...and hey...nice weather most of the time  Wink

73 de harry, W6DXO
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: