Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Instant" Log Updates...What'd All Think?  (Read 2362 times)
W6DXO

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2012, 06:35:19 PM »

Guys,

I must admit that I really like the "Instant" log update feature that the 6O guys have implemented.

The first time I queried their log it was updated about two minutes after my QSO, the second time took a few minutes longer to confirm my contact.

I fully confess that I fall into the "instant gratification" category when it comes to an ATNO so in my case this I see this a great innovation and
something that I'd like to see the other "big" DXPeditions adopt.

I'm a pretty old school guy when it comes to most of Ham Radio, but the Silicon Valley side of my brain really likes this technology.

73 de harry, W6DXO

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 06:39:21 PM »

I tell you what I really liked... Was the VP6T almost instant LOTW uploads. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »

Their "instant" log saved my only QSO. I was able to see that they busted my call as AD8MA (non existent call). Three minutes later I worked them again, through some heavy on frequency QRM. This time I had to wait almost 5 minutes to see the confirmation in their log.  Smiley

Guys,

I must admit that I really like the "Instant" log update feature that the 6O guys have implemented.

The first time I queried their log it was updated about two minutes after my QSO, the second time took a few minutes longer to confirm my contact.

I fully confess that I fall into the "instant gratification" category when it comes to an ATNO so in my case this I see this a great innovation and

I'm a pretty old school guy when it comes to most of Ham Radio, but the Silicon Valley side of my brain really likes this technology.

73 de harry, W6DXO

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:01:23 PM by AB8MA » Logged
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 07:05:11 PM »

Both the "instant " log and the quick LoTW updates are great. Especially the logs. I'm sure it cuts down on duplicate contacts and more importantly if your not sure of a confirmation because of QRM, QSB, etc... you know quickly. I don't know how anyone could "not" like these features.

It seems like I remember YK9G was one of the first to use the daily LoTW uploads. And it seems like G3TXF really pushed this concept early. I could be wrong.

In any case its a long way from waiting years for a QSL card from someplace like the Uzbek SSR like we did before. P O Box 88, Moscow, USSR. (I must say, though, that I did receive all my rare Soviet QSL cards eventually.)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 08:22:58 PM »

And one could easily uncover a pirate operation. I worked a pirate yesterday. I thought I had Somalia on 15m. My two contacts never showed up in their log.

Jonathan W6GX
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:48:53 AM »

Guys,

73 de harry, W6DXO

The biggest advantage is it gives me sound mind that I got in there log. If not, I can try again. I always have tat paranoia of, "Did I hear him get my call sign correct? Did he acknowledge? Report? I just get paranoid. That green check box give me peace of mind.
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 07:59:49 AM »

I like the instant feedback too, but some DX locations don't have internet access or reliable satcom service.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:01:49 AM by K9MRD » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 08:08:03 AM »

I think it really saves on "Insurance QSO's", although I always made them on different bands - or different modes on the same band. This also means that more stations can become one of the "uniques".

I only do band slots for DXCC Challenge when a DX-ped is begging for Q's. I don't do the leader board thing ever.

We live in the modern world with modern communications and networks - so why not use it? I've been a ham since 1973 - started with tubes, and have no nostalgia for "the old way". Maybe that's because I got into computer programming _because_ of ham radio - so I am a futurist - always looking forward, never back.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:24:57 AM by KY6R » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »

Me too. I thought the instant log was Great. It really was instant. A couple times I logged them and immediately went  to the net. There was my contact.

Instant Log cuts down on pirates, insurance QSOes, and worrying that the DX op got ur your call right. etc. I think it is an excellent idea.

Stan K9IUQ
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 04:20:47 PM »

The instant log update is the best thing to come along since sliced bread  :-)

Bob
K6UJ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »

FYI.  There was an issue with the 6O0CW 'instant' log.  I have two 15m contacts that never showed in the log.  Well, I have been checking it every day and finally they showed up in the log today.  At the time when I made the contacts I was 100% sure on both contacts and 99% sure that I didn't work a pirate.  I sent the logging administrator an e-mail but never heard back from him.  So my hunch was correct that there was indeed a logging issue with contacts made on 5/14  Huh

Jonathan W6GX
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:54:34 AM »

What's not to like? Only thing I can think of is if the dx-ped establishes that they are doing instant updates and then have problems with a connection or updates, then we all feel like we have to work them multiple times because we are not "in the log."  That increases traffic tremendously, including from big guns trampling us little pistols because they assume they did not get the contact.

Quick LOTW updates is my dream, of course.  I know it affects contributions, and that is unfortunate, but what a thrill to work a new one and see it turn red in my logging program within hours!  Frankly, I'm more likely to chip in for such confirmation than just to get the paper card a month or two quicker.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
http://n4kc.blogspot.com

N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »

Instant log updates are not practical, particularly when you are operating from multiple sites as we did at 7O6T.   Constant use of the Sat phone is expensive and must be monitored closely to control runaway costs. I don't think this will be a feature of our DXpeditions.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:33:43 PM by N6PSE » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 08:25:59 AM »

Quick LOTW updates is my dream, of course.  I know it affects contributions

You bet it affects contributions. The groups running DXpeds that upload to LOTW quickly, they get very generous donations from me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: