Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ongoing push of Ham Radio to EMCOMM  (Read 82078 times)
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »

I think the solution looking for a problem statement sums up what I have been saying. 

And I see why CERT / SAR groups go the ham route.  You place the burden of all expense for communications on the members individually.  Sure a 50 dollar radio and a 15 dollar license is WAY cheaper than a 300 plus dollar commercial radio. 

Now as far as the guy talking about how I would comment about him running around in a fire truck in turnout gear.  Totally different situation for a couple reasons.  First is that you are a trained firefighter.  Retired isn't relevant, trained on the other hand is.  ARES training consists of how do I talk on a radio.  Nothing to do with CPR, hazardous chemicals, properties of combustion, fire ground operations, or any number of other things.  It's JUST RADIO operation.  And then who's doing the training?  Trained public safety dispatchers?  FEMA communications directors?  Or just the guy with the most scanners that can mimic the police band comms better than the rest of the group?

Now, I can't seem to find it in this thread but someone commented they had a SAR group that had agreements with ham repeater owners for use of their machines.  I find the idea of relying on ham repeaters and their owners for any sort of SAR CERT public safety response stuff really troubling.  The government sets down lots of regulations for how public safety radio systems need to be installed.  generators, hours of fuel, access paths from dispatch (requires a minimum of two paths).  Now does every system meet all this, no.  But Hams have NO regulation.  Public safety radio licenses and commercial for that matter, require constant operation.  Meaning that you can't simply go turn it off for weeks at a time.  If it's broke, you  HAVE TO fix it or your license will be pulled.  With a ham repeater, that ain't the case.  If it's off the air, it's just not usable.  If there is an emergency that requires it, there is no requirement for them to even turn it on if they can.  It's a dangerous path to walk.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2013, 11:15:10 AM »

Move to the interior NorthWest and you will see that SAR groups teaming with the local Amateur population is a necessity. There is not the funds nor the manpower for the local paid and strictly SAR groups to afford or maintain the repeaters necessary. The local clubs provide and maintain repeaters with excellent coverage as a matter of enjoying the hobby and club pride.

Of course many SAR members are also Amateurs.

Now to some of the whacker comments. I guess that any Amateur in Tennessee that has Call Sign Plates is a whacker! All Amateur Callsign plates in Tennessee bear the legend EMERGENCY instead of the county of issuance. Therefore, Tennessee is home to a lot of whackers.

Most of the Skywarn folks, have callsign plates and multiple antennae on their vehicles. Do I live in whacker central? Or are some of the folks here just bitter and off base?

KF7CG
KD8GTP

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2013, 11:54:07 AM »

No, you are not off base.  If people are running around with the word ' emergency' on their license plates then they would qualify as a 'wacker'.  They are not emergency response vehicles as these license plates would lead some to believe. Please explain to me how passing a 35 question tech test makes you an emergency responder ?  I keep telling people that this is a hobby and no matter how many antenna or lights you put on your car and passing a 35 question test does not make you an emergency responder.  I was ashamed to have a 2m antenna on my car as I didn't want to be grouped in with you wackers so I removed it.  It's just a matter of time before this emergency crap comes to a head and drags the HOBBY down the drain. In the mean time I will continue to enjoy the antics of you wacker fellas.  As it has been said, this hobby has something for everyone Smiley

GOD Bless
Bart
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2013, 04:37:53 PM »

K8GTP Says:  "  I was ashamed to have a 2m antenna on my car ..."    Roll Eyes

Give the entire car to charity.  How can you stand the shame of driving a car, when whackers also drive them?

-...-

Perhaps the well spoken point of KF7CG needs to be restated:

He said that the State of Tennessee had issued ham callsign plates with the word "EMERGENCY" in place of county.  It is not something which the ham put on the plate.  The request was made to the State office for vehicle registration for  callsign plates; a perfectly normal thing which many hams request. The State put the word EMERGENCY there. Perhaps you should protest to the State of Tennessee - assuming that you are willing to actually take personal action on anything. 

Creating a strawman argument of 'whackers' (I've seen one in over 40 years of ham) as grounds to avoid community service is silly.  You're illusory 'whackers' drive cars - so will you refuse to drive a car?  They probably had dental filing too -- shall you go to the garage, get out the Vice-Grip pliers and remove your fillings?  You choose.  All ham radio operators are under a body of regulations called: "Part 97 The Amateur Radio Service." I wonder why they have STILL not caught their mistake of calling it a 'service'? That fact that we can enjoy it as a hobby is a perk, which I am grateful for.  Additionally ham radio is also a powerful tool if needed, which it often is in many parts of the world.

de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._

KD8GTP

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2013, 04:42:17 PM »

Ray,
As you defend the wacker we can only assume you are one. Please tell us how many flashing lights you have on your emergency response vehicle  Wink
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2013, 07:33:43 PM »

Now I have to say that the situation with state issued license plates doesn't make you a wacker.  Having some sense of importance because it says that does.  And the people involved with lobbying the state to put EMERGENCY on ham plates were UBER Wackers.  There is no reason for it, and like the other guy said, passing a 35 question exam doesn't make you an EMT or police officer.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2013, 07:29:32 AM »

...If people are running around with the word ' emergency' on their license plates then they would qualify as a 'wacker'.  They are not emergency response vehicles as these license plates would lead some to believe....

First, no they are not whackers.  The state deems it necessary to put that word there.  Perhaps it's simply there to alert state officials (LEOs) that there could be 'emergency' communication equipment in the vehicle--or that the occupant could be knowledgeable as far as radio communications are concerned.  Personally, I think it's a mistake, but the state of Tennessee does not.  Anyway, who are you to say?

There are many states that have distinctive plate designs for amateur radio operators if those people should desire to have them on their vehicle.  In Massachusetts, it's a 'lightning bolt' separator. (in the middle of the call sign)  We used to have the words "Amateur Radio" on the plate, but those words have been eliminated for years now.

Finally, no, amateur radio operators are not first responders--but there are some first responders who are also amateur radio operators.  It would be to your advantage to be mighty careful who you spout off to, because some of those first responders also have emergency equipment in their cars--including ham radios--and if you went and accused them of being of the 'whacker' mentality, you may well find yourself on the receiving end of some mighty unpleasant experiences.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: May 14, 2013, 07:34:37 AM »

Gotta luv you wackers going at each other Smiley

Hey, I got an idea.  How about you wackers post some pics of your emergency response vehicles.  Tell us a litle about your lightbars, flashers, sirens, etc....

You first.  Some of the responders on this thread are of the opinion that if someone is simply defending selected ideas, they're whackers.  Well, in my vehicle, I have a 2 meter rig and a scanner.  NOTHING MORE.  And before you assume anything, the scanner is there for reasons other than going to see what's going on--otherwise what used to be known as ambulance chasing. 

Do yourselves a favor and don't assume you know everything because of your prejudices.  You come off both sounding and being worse than the whackers you speak of.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 07:42:42 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KD8GTP

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2013, 10:28:46 AM »

Finally, no, amateur radio operators are not first responders--but there are some first responders who are also amateur radio operators.  It would be to your advantage to be mighty careful who you spout off to, because some of those first responders also have emergency equipment in their cars--including ham radios--and if you went and accused them of being of the 'whacker' mentality, you may well find yourself on the receiving end of some mighty unpleasant experiences.

Wow, a wacker makes a threat Smiley  Tell you what wacker, bring it on.  Blind me with you strobe lights or orange vest.
What a joke you wackers are Shocked
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »

Wow, a wacker makes a threat Smiley  Tell you what wacker, bring it on.  Blind me with you strobe lights or orange vest.
What a joke you wackers are Shocked

Well, at least I have one advantage.  I'm not a complete idiot--as you seem to be.  Seems as though I was right.  You're so prejudiced that you can't see straight--or read anything correctly.  Or even quote a piece correctly for that matter.
KD8GTP

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2013, 12:39:23 PM »

Seems like I shook the bush and stirred me up a real to life wacker. Come on, tell us a little about your emergency response vehicle, you have a light bar or are you an undercover wacker with the strobes behind the grill?  I really want to learn more about a true American wacker such as yourself Smiley. I will await your response and hopefully a few pics of you sporting your orange vest standing beside your " unit" .

GOD Bless the wackers
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2013, 09:27:49 PM »

KD8GTP blethered: "As you defend the wacker we can only assume you are one."[/b]

Hmmmm, not much for rational thought - are you?   Practice: you'll eventually get the hang of it.

There ARE widely differing views here and though the participants in most of this discussion use humor at times or hyperbole, in general their points are well presented & defended.  It's OK to disagree, in fact it's great fuel for thought and personal growth. We can't help but notice that you've not even attempted to answer or introduce any factual aspects for this discussion: not a single one.  You add nothing, yet spew tripe. What an abysmal waste of life. What your poor wife must have to endure can only be imagined.

de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._
Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: